0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance

"You'll never know unless you try," George says. "Right?" she asks. I smile. My dance teacher, George, was the best. He always tried to make me feel comforted. Because I'm not very good at dancing, or so I think I'm not very good at dancing. But it gets me out and doing something. I like to try at least. It makes me happy to dance. As long as no one but her sees me. I don't even watch myself! I get too self-conscious. But now George was asking me to perform in front of a live audience in front of people. I could never.

"NO! I can't perform in front of people. I can't even watch myself. Not without freezing up or stopping. You know you watch me. I know you think I'm good, but I do private lessons for a reason. I would do anything for you George, and you know that. You know me. I've been dancing under you for years now. Please don't make me do this," I plead. She looks at me with sad eyes. She knows that I can't take her puppy dog eyes. She knows how easy I give in. She knows and I start shaking my head quickly. I look away quickly. George is also my boyfriend.

"Please, baby. I know you can do it. You are so good. I watch you every day and I know how good you could do it. I know you're shy in front of people. Your parents don't even know. But what if we blindfolded you. Then you can't see the audience or yourself. Or what if we did one with the audience and one without. Why not at least try one! You never know unless you try, right?" He knows me all too well. I put my head in my hands. I really wish that I wasn't so vulnerable to her.

"Fine. I'll do it." I mutter. I look away to the side and scratch my head. George. smiles and hugs me. Then we do some dancing and then hang out a little bit by watching a movie. I guess as long as my parents don't come, I'm fine. They really started making me feel self-conscious when I was younger. I loved to dance, but they always only looked at my mistakes. My parents only wanted me to do perfectly. Anything less than perfect was never good enough. So I quit dancing and moved away the moment I was allowed to. I have yet to tell them about any of my romances, or being gay. I don't think they would approve.

Midway through the movie, I pause it. "George, I have to tell you something. If I am going to perform, with or without the blindfold, I need you to promise me you won't invite my parents. They have never approved of me, and they only see my flaws. I will never hear the end of it if they find out I'm gay, or I have a happy life without them. Promise me that you will not invite them, ok?" George nods his head and unpauses the movie. Once it's over we kiss each other goodbye. I have work tomorrow, so we're going to see each other in the evening tomorrow.

The next month goes by in a flash. We choreograph the piece over and over. I make sure I'm perfect and for the first time in a year, I watch myself dance in the mirror. I see how good I am. I realize George has been right all along. I even worked up the courage to call my parents. I told them That I was happy, I had found someone at last, and that I was pursuing a hobby. They sounded rather well. They clearly were shocked I had called them in the first place. They know I don't really call them.

The night of the performance came. And before I went on stage, George handed me the blindfold. I don't know what possessed me, but I decided that I wasn't going to put on the blindfold. I got on stage and got a bit nervous. But then I heard the music and I started to pour my heart out. I had two mess-ups the entire time, and when I bowed, I got a standing ovation. Only two people in the back looked unpleased. I didn't care. I did well for only two people to rain on my parade. I changed back into my clothes. We went back for one more bow and then got one more applause. I was just leaving when the two people that were unpleased stopped me. Then I realized why they were unpleased.

"Mom! Dad! I had no clue you were going to be here." I got super self-conscious. "I was just leaving. I have an early shift at work tomorrow, so glad we ran into each other. I love watching dances. That's why I'm here. To watch dances." Good job, I was obviously lying at this point and my parents really were not pleased. They started scolding me for both of my mistakes. Then George must have heard and ran into the room. He stood up for me making matters worse. Then it slipped out that I was gay, and George was my boyfriend.

"I wasn't going to tell you because you never approve of me. Or that I did dancing still. You guys are too judgmental of me, and I have always felt so self-conscious around you guys. I don't like to hear you guys tell me how terrible I am. I have been working so hard. You guys never care to think about that or my feelings. I'm leaving." But then my parents pull me into a hug, and George looks shocked. I know what he's thinking. He's thinking, Wow, my plan actually worked. I must be the best boyfriend ever.

My parents are balling and apologizing over and over. From that day on, we have been one small, happy family once more. George was right. I married him, a year after that. All along You never know unless you try.

March 10, 2022 14:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.