Not All Brits Are Bad

Written in response to: Write about two people striking up an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Friendship Romance

Every sound they made was defining. She felt almost certain they would be found and yet, his eyes looked so inviting, his face so determined. She wanted to kiss him, she realized. But that would distract from their goal. She focused forward once more and sighed. He was too focused on his job to give her any chance. She was first and foremost his partner in work, nothing more.

They both gently crawled across the gravel strewn floor, careful to not let the small rocks scrape. Finally they were almost to the vault when suddenly he grabbed her hand.

"This could change everything, Laura. It could be for the worst or the best, but before we do anything and maybe even possibly die, I want you to know...'

"What, Cole?" she asked hopefully.

"I love you Laura, I've loved you since the day you punched that teppanyaki cook in the face. You broke our cover, but I have never seen anything that turned me on more than your fire,"

"Oh! Cole!" Laura scream whispered. Tears started forming in her eyes. "I love you too,"

"You do? What a relief! I thought-"

Laura pulled him into a passionate kiss, careful to keep quiet so as not to alert anyone. Cole let out a small gasp then pulled her closer to him. No kiss was much like...

"Excuse me?"

much like theirs. It was full of passionate and...

"Pardon me, Ma'am,"

and true love...

"Ma'am?"

Maven looked up from her book, the world still full of fire around her. She looked up to the voice speaking to her, her eyes foggy. She must have been reading longer than she thought. She looked outside and noticed it was, in fact, light, though the dark rain clouds blocked the sun from making it fully day.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, sorry," Maven said, her head still swirling from her book. "Is there a problem, sir?" she asked. She attempted to sound polite but her voice turned cold at the end of the question.

"I'm sorry to bug you. You must have really been into that book, but I was wondering if I could possibly buy you a coffee?" he asked.

"Oh, I don't drink coffee," Maven said matter a factly.

"Oh? You are in a coffee shop, are you not?" he asked, a hint of teasing in his voice.

"Well, yes,"

"So, if you don't drink coffee, what are you doing here? If you don't mind me asking, of course,"

"Not at all!" Maven said. She grabbed a clean napkin and stuffed it in her book.

"They have a good gluten free menu here, plenty of really great options, but I really only order their lemon poppyseed muffin. Oh! and I absolutely adore their white chocolate steamer and Mexican hot chocolate. Best coffee shop drinks I've ever had," she said, motioning to the man to sit across from her. He sat as she continued.

"It's also a really great place to read in the mornings. This is the best seat in the house since it's by the window, not to mention the incredibly comfortable chairs. Rainy days like today are the best, though. The raindrops bend the light from the street lamps and cars, which I just find absolutely beautiful. It's like the city's very own painting," she finished dreamily.

"Wow, that is beautiful," he said softly.

"May inquire of your name?" Maven asked.

Just then a waitress walked up with a mug in one hand and a pot in the other.

"Good morning, Maven! Your usual?" she asked. The waitress placed the mug and pot in the table and pulled out a notepad and pen from her apron.

"Yes, thank you, Katie,"

"Okey dokey! One lemon poppyseed muffin. And I'm guessing today is a Mexican hot chocolate kind of day?" Katie asked, pen ready.

"You've got it," Maven said with a small laugh. "You know? You're one of the only waitresses that can guess which drink I want,"

"I do pride myself in that particular talent!"

"Well, not saying you are, but it may make you my favorite person here," Maven said with a wink.

"Of course! Only the best for my favorite customer," she winked back.

"And you, sir? Can I get you anything?" Katie asked the man, a genuine smile still remaining on her face.

"Black coffee, please," he answered with a smile.

"I knew you looked like a black coffee kind of guy! I came prepared," she said as she took the mug and pored some black coffee from the pot.

"I'm impressed," he said.

Katie smiled then grabbed her notebook once more.

"Can I get you any pastries, sir?"

"Um, no thank you. That's quite alright,"

"Are you sure?" Katie asked slowly, glancing at Maven. Maven glared back at her and shook her head.

The man laughed then said, "Maybe you better read the pastry menu off to me, the gluten free menu, please,"

"Oh, you don't have to get me anything. I'm perfectly content with my muffin," Maven said.

"Don't be silly, Maven! The man wanted to buy you a drink, might as well let him pay. He's willing," Katie said.

"Wait, how did you know he wanted to buy me a drink?"

"Oh, you know..." Katie drifted off. A guilty smile rested on her face.

"How much did she pay you to sit with me?" Maven asked the man.

"Nothing," he said with a laugh. "I walked by and saw you in the window. I thought you looked very pretty. I asked Katie who you were, and she insisted that I offer to sit and buy you a coffee or something,"

"Guilty as charged!" Katie said in a bell like voice.

"Oh, Katie! How am I ever to find a man without you?" Maven said sarcastically. Katie ignored the comment and continued to take the man's order. He ordered a plate of caramel apple danishes, to share. Content, Katie left with the order.

"Thank you," Maven said after a moment.

"Oh, it's my pleasure. It's not everyday you get the opportunity to pass a beautiful girl reading in the window of a humble coffee shop," the man said.

"I guess not,"

Katie then came back with their pastries and Maven's hot chocolate. "Enjoy, you two,"

"Katie, please," Maven laughed. Katie giggled and walked away to help other customers. Maven just shook her head as she watched her walk away.

"My name is Charlie, by the way," the man said.

"Pleasure, Maven,"

"Pleasure,"

"Charlie, uh? Very British. Guess it comes along with the accent,"

"No actually,"

"Oh?"

"The accent comes along with the name,"

Maven laughed and took a sip of her hot chocolate.

"I couldn't help but notice that you're American,"

"Hmmm, what gave it away? The American name? Maybe the fact I don't sound French? Or maybe that I was reading an adventure romance?"

Charlie laughed, "Yes, I guess all of that. You must have been in Paris for a while now, considering they have your usual on tab and ready to go for you,”

“Yes, I started working here a few months ago. I figured I needed a change of scenery from the dirty streets of Chicago and made the crazy decision to move here. Haven’t regretted it yet,” Maven said.

“It is quite lovely, isn’t it?” Charlie said as he looked out the window. 

“Indeed. Why are you here?” she asked.

“I’m here for a job. Just a short little project to make a little extra money, really. But also for sightseeing. Just didn’t know that an American girl who doesn’t drink coffee but spends her time in a coffee shop was on the list of sights to see,”

“Sure, sure,” Maven said coyly as she took a bite of danish. “Do you happen to know the time? It seems I left my watch and phone at home,” 

“Oh, sure!” Charlie said. He glanced at his watch. “It’s 8:56,” 

“Crap! I’m late! Katie, a box, please?” Maven said as she stood. Katie brought her a box and Maven shoved in an apple danish and what was left of her muffin. She stuffed the box in her bag and grabbed her hot chocolate. 

“I am so sorry, Charlie. It seems I got a little too lost in my book and made myself late. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and thank you for the wonderful breakfast. Hope your job goes well,” Maven said. 

“No, thank you. You have been an absolute angel, my dear. I wish you well on your job and may luck find you,” Charlie said in response.

Maven smiled and hurriedly left the shop. She got a taxi and Charlie watched her leave from the window. He then drank the rest of his black coffee and left a large tip for Katie. 

As soon as Maven arrived at the station she changed her clothes and holstered her guns. When she arrived back at her desk, her partner was waiting for her.

“You’re late,” he said.

“Yes, I got caught up at the coffee shop,” she said back.

“Of course, the coffee shop. Lose yourself in a book again?” he asked mockingly.

“Actually, yes. I left my phone and watch at home. And this kind man offered to buy me breakfast so I just lost track of time,” 

“No more. I can’t keep covering you, you know. The Commissioner will not be very happy to know this is your third time this month,”

“Yes, I know, Julien. You’re the best partner for it, though,”

“Whatever, come on. We’re on patrol today,” Julien said.

“Hey! I saw that eye roll!” Maven said. 

“Sure you did,” Julien said with a small smile. 

“That’s a form of gaslighting, you know. I may have to report that,” 

“Uh huh. And if you report that, I’ll report your tendencies to make reading more important than the job,” he said slyly.

“Okay, okay. Fair enough,” Maven said in mock surrender. She followed Julien to their patrol car and took the passenger seat. As the day moved on they racked up the amount of speeding tickets and parking violations. 

Around eleven o’clock their radio went off.

Calling all patrols. This is officer 6207. Requesting back up on Haussmann Boulevard. We have a situation. Again, calling all patrols. Requesting back up on Haussmann Boulevard at Musée Jacquemart-André,”

“You ready, Officer Lincoln?” Julien asked challengingly.

“You bet I am, Officer Meunier,” Maven said as she slid her dark sunglasses over her eyes. 

Julien flipped on the lights and raced away as they headed toward the museum. 

“Wait, did she say Musée Jacquemart-André?” Maven asked as they sped past cars.

“Oui, why do you ask?” Julien inquired.

“That’s right across the street from the cafe,”

“Your café?”

“Yes,”

“Did you notice anything strange this morning? Like lingering cars, people dressed in dark heavy clothing?” Julien asked.

“No… no, I don’t think so. There was just the British man who bought me breakfast,” Maven said hesitantly. 

“You breakfasted with a Brit? Tis shame, even if he did buy breakfast,” Julien said with a huff. 

“Come to think of it, he was glancing out the window a lot, he seemed a little fidgety… and he kept the conversation on me… oh, crap! Do you think he attempted to rob the museum?!” Maven asked urgently.

“He’s a Brit, you can never really tell,” Julien said matter of factly.

“Julien! Stop being biased. Just ‘cause you don’t like Britain doesn’t make all Brits automatically bad,” 

Before Julien could respond they parked beside the museum and ran to the Commissioner who stood under a large umbrella.

“Commissioner! What’s the situation?” Maven asked. Having left their umbrellas in the car, her and Julien were already soaked from the rain.

“Officer Lincoln! Officer Meunier! Dieu merci, you’re here! We have a British man who is robbing the museum. He has taken some hostages. I need you to go inside,” the Commissioner said as she handed Maven some street clothes.

“I beg your pardon, Commissioner, I mean no offense, but why me?” Maven asked as she looked at the clothes in her hands. 

“You had reportedly eaten breakfast with the man. He seemed to trust you, according to our source. Now go change in the van. This is a hostage situation! We don’t have all day, Officer!” the Commissioner barked.

“Yes ma’am!” Maven said and ran to the van. She quickly changed her clothes and hid her gun in the waistband of her pants. She put on her raincoat and meekly walked to the Museum doors. She could hear behind her the Commissioner tell someone on the phone that Maven was coming up the steps. To her surprise, Charlie met Maven at the door.

“Funny,” he said.

“Oh? What’s funny?” Maven asked.

“The fact you're a cop. Katie never mentioned anything. Not sure I would have talked to you knowing you would catch me in the act the same day,”

“Hmm, sad to think you feel that way. I thought we connected really well,”

“Yes, we did, didn’t we?”

Charlie then motioned for her to come inside, but before Maven walked in the door she hearn Julien yelling. 

“Don’t you dare hurt her, you Brit! You hear me!” He screamed out as he waved his gun in the air and started towards the museum. Other officers ran to his side and grabbed him. He fought to break free but he was overpowered by the sheer amount of officers holding him back. 

Maven rolled her eyes and walked into the building. Charlie followed her. 

“Your partner I’m guessing?”

“Yep,” 

“A little overprotective, huh?”

“You don’t even know,” Maven said with a laugh. 

“So why you robbin’ this museum, Charlie?” she asked. 

“You haven’t figured out who I am yet?” He asked.

Maven looked long into his eyes, “No,” she answered. 

“I’m the Brick Robber,” his eyes shimmered.

“No. Flipping. Way. I read about you!” Maven exclaimed. “Your work is crazy! And oddly inspiring in a criminal way,” she said laughing. 

“Ah, it’s great to meet a fan, even if she’s a cop,”

“You know I have to bring you in, right?”

“Are you sure, pretty girl?”

“Positive,” Maven said with a sigh. “Best I can do is help you get a shorter sentence. But you have to let the hostages go and listen to my every order,”

“Fair enough, but,”

“But what?”

“You have to keep my identity secret. Can’t have people know I got caught. Secondly, you need to visit me in jail. Thirdly, you owe me,”

“Owe you! For what?!” 

“Breakfast,” He said. Maven raised an eyebrow at him. 

“To repay me, you have to take me out to ice cream right when I get out. Deal?”

“Hmmm, I have my own condition,” Maven said.

“What is that?” Charlie asked.

“You have to give up your title and a life full of crime,” 

Charlie looked at her skeptically.

“Truly! You know how a criminal’s mind works so you could join the police force, become an intern. I’ll train you myself,” 

Charlie thought for a moment then smiled. 

“Your offer makes me want to give it up and start over, it truly does. Because I’ve been looking for someone who could help me stay away from my criminal tendencies. I think I found her,” 

Maven smiled and pulled Charlie into a hug. “I have a feeling we are going to have a really great friendship,”

“Me too,” Charlie said. He put out his hands and Maven cuffed them. 

“You are under arrest for attempted robbery,”

“I’m not the robber here,”

“Really? It seems to me like you are,” Maven said as she led him out the front doors. 

“You are,”

“And why am I the robber, might I ask?”

“Because you stole my heart,” Charlie said with a small smile.

Maven paused and stared at him. 

“That is soo cheesy,” she said with a chuckle.

“Oh come on!”

“Oh ya, I think that may be one of the cheesiest things anyone has ever said to me,” 

“Please! It wasn’t that bad,”

“Yes. Yes it was,” Maven said. She motioned Charlie to get in the car then closed the door with a smile.

“What just happened?” Julien asked.

“I just made a lifelong friend, Julien. Is that so hard to believe?”

“No, it’s just, you befriended a Brit,” 

“Julien! I thought for sure you would say something about how he literally just tried to rob a museum!”

“Being a Brit is far worse,” Julien said with absolute surety.

“Not all Brits are bad,” Maven said. “Not all Brits are bad,”

June 15, 2023 01:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.