The Outbreak Of 2021

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was the summer of 2021 and 4 students were off to Saturday morning detention.

Heather ( The popular girl )

Steve ( The jock )

Nichole (The athletic rule follower )

and Thomas ( The wimpy, religious, nerd.)


They all headed to their seats and were watching an educational video. Then suddenly the tv turned to the news saying “ There has been a zombie outbreak this is not a joke this is a warning. Everyone shall head to shelter and board up windows. I repeat this is not a joke please stay safe. Everyone got out of their seats and started fighting because Nichole wanted to follow rules but everyone else thought this was a joke. Finally Nichole gave in and they all sat down. After a half hour past they saw a zombie breaking in everyone was freaking out. Thomas tried to fight the zombie but the zombie threw him across the room and Thomas hit his head on the wall and was knocked out for a few minutes. Steve picked up a desk and threw it at the zombies head. “Man first corona know we gotta deal with zombies” said Steve. Nichole helped Thomas up and she noticed he had scratch on his arm and looked at Heather. “What is that Heather hissed?” Thomas covered his arm and said “nothing!” “We have to get going” said Steve. they all headed out the school building and saw a warehouse and decided it would be safe to go there. Steve walked through the doors first with a bat in his hand from the school gym. The warehouse was safe to go in no one was there only old couches and chairs etc. 


They found a mini fridge in the corner and found 5 dr. peppers. They brought the soda’s over to the couches and decided to sit down to catch their breath. After catching their breath they decided to look around. “Hey look over here” said Nichole, everyone gathered around her to see a tv sitting in front of them. They put the tv up on a little stand they found and watched the news. “The government has made a small antidote that can cure the zombie bites” the news reporter said. 

Thomas stood up and said “ We need to do something about this I can’t sit here watching people die when we can do something.” Heather also stood up threw her glass on the ground so that it shattered and replied “WHAT DO YOU THINK WE ARE GOING TO DO HM? WE ARE TEENAGERS NO ONE IS GOING TO LET US DO ANYTHING JUST GET OVER IT” Thomas stood there for a second think and then replied “what if we helped the government double the antidote I know how to do that.” Nope, not doing that I don’t trust the government even after what dumb crap they made us do during quarantine.” Nichole then stood up and said “I agree with Thomas I think we should help.” “I don’t trust the government either” replied Heather. Thomas then said “We can do this all together or we can all risk dying knowing we didn’t do anything about this” They all thought for a minute and finally agreed to help.


They found weapons in the warehouse and took their pick and headed to the capital building. They didn’t have far to go because they lived in Washington. When they got outside of the building the guards stopped them and said “Ya’ll get out of here we aren’t allowing visitors.” As they walked back down the stairs Nichole said “Know what’s your plan Thomas?” Thomas then replied and said “We will quietly sneak in the back.” “Ah finally something i’m good at” Heather said pushing Thomas aside. When she tried to open the door it was locked, she pulled a bobby pen from out of her hair she began to pick the lock. After a few seconds the door pushed open. “Know where did you learn to do that Steve said curiously?” “I don’t reveal my secrets Heather said mysteriously.” The four of them had to be very cautious because there were guards on every corner. 


As they went down one hall Nichole bumped into one of the guards and he tried to use his com to tell the other guards there were intruders but before he could Nichole kicked it out of his hand and punched him in the throat and he fell to the floor almost choking. She then picked up the com and said in a deep manly voice said “there are four kids on the second floor in the south wing”.


“They hold the antidote in the basement” said Thomas, “and how do you know that?” Steve replied. Thomas then said “I don’t know that I would just think they would keep it there out of site” “Ohhh that’s smart” said Steve. Thomas fell back behind them in pain his arm had gotten worse and little did the others know he was getting infected. Thomas just thought to himself that he could fight it but in reality he couldn’t. 


When they got down to the basement they looked for a little then found the antidote. Thomas then said that he needed to find the recipe to the antidote so he could double it. The four of them got a basket and placed all they needed and headed back up stairs. They were about to go out the door when they heard a voice behind them saying “holt don’t move!” They all instantly ran out the building sprinting as fast as they could. 


Awhile after they had gotten out of site from the building they started to walk. They headed back to the warehouse that was only 20 minutes of walking distance from where they were know. 


When they got to the warehouse Thomas began to copy the antidote. Heather came over to Thomas and had good idea. She had thought if we created some sort of firework type thing that shot up the antidote that they could all be cured. Thomas had actually been proud of Heather for thinking of such good idea. Steve’s dad had been a builder so he knew how to build so he was in charge of building the firework shooter. Since all of the teenagers were in different social circles at school they had never really talked to each other but through all this time they have spent with each other they had all taken a liking to each other. 


After Thomas had finished the antidote Steve had finished too. the only problem they had was where to do it. After thinking for awhile they decided to do it on the roof of the capital building. After walking once again they got onto the roof from a latter they shot the antidote into the sky it came back down and had cured everyone. A few seconds later they looked back at Thomas and his scratch had gotten infected and it was too late he was long gone and they had no antidote left. Thomas being in of the wrong mind he tried to bite the others the only way for it to stop was if one of the other 3 shot him. The girls started crying even though they didn’t know him that well a friend is a friend and they were sad that he was gone. The only one who had enough courage to do it was Steve. Steve although didn’t want to do it he had to and at that time Steve had done it and they all hugged and tears flew down all there cheeks. A moment later everyone had started clapping the four of them had saved the day. They were on camera and the president had contacted them that he had an award of bravery for them to get handed. 

A week had past and the day had come that they were getting the award. They had walked on that stage and accepted the award. Steve asked if he could say a few words and he stepped up to the podium and these are the words he said. 


“I just wanted to say that all this wouldn’t had happened if Thomas wasn’t here. He was the one who stood up and said we need to do something about this and he had the most confidence I’ve seen in anyone. I know I didn’t know him long but he was a good friend and he’s the one who deserved this award the most and he will be remembered.” 


June 04, 2020 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.