Heads Tennessee, Tails California (Part One)

Written in response to: Write a story that starts with the line “So, what’s the catch?”... view prompt

5 comments

Contemporary Mystery

"So, what's the catch?" The clear water glistened on the sunny, hot day as I lounged in an inflatable donut, partially submerged in the pool. I love the smell of chlorine. Bruno, my bodyguard, stood wearing a gray three-piece suit, looking slightly out of place on a warm day. His muscles are confined in the material. He had a stern look, his hands crossed in front of him, and dark sunglasses so that I couldn't see his eyes. 

I'm on the phone listening to my brother discuss my upcoming birthday plans in two weeks. After agreeing to food choices and making some decoration decisions, I end the call. Our bass player, Sebastian, walks out sleepily, rubbing his eyes and yawning before croaking out a greeting. You know how it sounds when you haven't used your voice in a while. His robe is open, revealing his bare chest and cotton boxers. The cotton belt of his robe dangles as he moves. His brown hair is disheveled, proving that he tosses and turns in his sleep.

Sheila, my personal chef of three years, walks out wearing a frilly apron and places a long wooden charcuterie board on the lunch table. Bruno almost breaks his stern posture as he itches to crane his head towards the bosom brunette. He misses his window as she returns to the house. 

Joanna laughs at Bruno as she reclines on the lounge chair near the pool. She's wearing a crisscross wrap bikini swimsuit and has a colossal hat protecting her pale, delicate skin from the sun. Her jet-black hair hangs loosely around her shoulders. Instinctively she wraps it around her neck so it only hangs over one shoulder. On her ankle is a modest tattoo of an electric guitar. She's reading a Korean poetry book.

Jax is wearing an apron that reads kiss the cook as he uses the spatula as a drumstick while at the grill. He's grilling chicken and burgers, but I don't eat meat. He has separate spatula and plant-based delights for me and anyone who wants to try them.

Everyone is antsy with anticipation as we wait for Alexei, my boyfriend, to return with the news. "Honey, I'm home," he says as he enters the house. As he gets closer, I hear his expensive oxfords hitting the wood floor. He puts down his briefcase and removes his blazer, placing them on the sofa. Next, his shirt goes over his head, revealing defined abs, and he removes all his clothes until he's down to his Navy blue boxers. He walks towards me and cannonballs in the water. It creates a massive swell, and I float toward the other side of the pool. 

"Alexei!" Ugh, I hate when he does that. A few seconds later, he resurfaces next to me, plants a kiss on my lips, and all is forgiven. 

"So, what'd the reviewer say," Joanna asks. Everyone waits with bated breath. 

Alexei just returned from a meeting with one of the most prominent music reviewers, and he heard our band play. "Jake said he likes the sound of the band," he climbs onto an inflatable lounger, and I hand him a glass of whiskey before he continues. "He thinks our style would do well at either venue. Nashville or LA would work fine."

"Alright, let's get this party started," Jax says from the grill. "Who has a coin?" After a well-needed rest from our wild New Year's party, we're all dressed for the pool. "I nominate Bruno," Sebastian says, sitting on a lounge chair beside Joanna. 

"I'll get the coin," Sheila says, walking into the kitchen and bringing it out. She saunters over to Bruno, and he is irresistible to her magnetic pull. She places the coin in his hand and kisses him gently on the cheek. "Buena suerte," she says as he suddenly gets shy and turns the color of a pomegranate.

Melanie arrives with a brown box and balloons tied to her hands just then. She sets the box on the outside table and opens it to reveal a beautiful buttercream cake with strawberries at the top. She ties the balloons to a table leg and walks over to Jax, kissing him on his lips. 

"Happy birthday, baby," she says, and he smiles that 100-watt smile we all love. 

I smile like the Cheshire cat, my pearly white teeth showing and cherry lips before I take a generous sip of my frozen margarita. 

"Okay, heads Tennessee, tails California," I say excitedly, awaiting the result. As the metal coin juts into the air and flips once, twice, and thrice before it lands back in Bruno's big paws, I can hardly wait to find out the answer.

It has been a while since we've performed on tour, but we have some new songs I'm dying to get out. 

Bruno is quiet and doesn't say anything for a minute. I wonder what's going on in his head. He's such a big, burly guy, and he's only been working as my bodyguard for one year, so I'm still getting to know him. Alexei insisted on hiring a bodyguard after the last stalker I had. 

"California," his baritone says, and I'm giddy like a schoolgirl. 

I'm so tickled, I can't even pretend not to be. "I knew it would be California. I just knew it. I had a feeling. Now you just come over here, darling, and stick your feet in the water. It's a warm day. Warm days like this call for relaxing." 

He stands at attention after putting the coin back into his pants pocket. He isn't paying me any mind. I give Sheila an apologetic look. She was hoping that Bruno would loosen up and get into the pool. 

Last week Sheila confided in me that she has a crush on Bruno. I suspect Bruno also has a crush on her, but they don't talk more than hi or bye in passing. He maintains a firm bearing and doesn't deviate when on duty. "Maybe next time, sugar," I say to Sheila as she returns to the house to bring some complementary dishes for the cookout.

I'm still thinking about what my brother said on the phone before discussing food choices and decorations for my birthday bash. He mentioned that the venue let us get it almost for free. It sounded too good to be true. I'm open to a good bargain, but good things usually come with conditions, especially in this economic climate.

On the day of my birthday party, while still at home getting ready, I received a letter by courier. So fancy, I thought. When I opened the letter, I gasped at what I had read. 

To be continued…

March 11, 2023 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Stevie Burges
11:52 Mar 11, 2023

So what is going to happen? Is this the start of a chapter? Perhaps a book? It has the seeds of a good mystery story because I note you have it filed under mystery. I also happen to know that you had thought about this for at least a whole week, if not more. I think it would be interesting if it developed into a book. My only complaint when I thought it was a short story was too many characters - but for a much bigger work - there were enough characters to carry it. Interesting to see where it 'continues.....'

Reply

MJ Simons
00:03 Mar 13, 2023

Hi Stevie, that's a good observation. I originally wrote this story for the 'flip-a-coin' prompt in November/December last year but didn't submit it. I tweaked it to fit last week's 'So what's the catch' prompt. I could have done better with it, but I struggled with what to write for last week's prompt and liked the story. You're right; it has many characters and would be better suited for a longer story. Thanks for pointing that out. When I originally wrote the story, I started writing a story about a band, which I hadn't done before. A l...

Reply

Stevie Burges
09:49 Mar 16, 2023

Yep seriously think about a book. I won't be writing this week. I could have submitted last week's story for one of this week's prompts - but clearly not as I think people might notice it's the same story. So resting this week and spending time on reading other peoples' stories.

Reply

MJ Simons
01:37 Mar 17, 2023

I completely understand. Sometimes we need to take a break. Reading others' stories is always good. I recently discovered a few new writers on Reedsy. There are so many talented writers here. I'll submit a story this week, so hopefully, you'll have a chance to read it.

Reply

Stevie Burges
04:40 Mar 17, 2023

Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.