A conversation about activism

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about activism.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“What is the use of all these posts anyways? I’m tired of seeing #BLM on my feed all the time! Who doesn’t know already that these people want to educate at this point?”


17 year old Sadie did not consider herself racist, but she also wasn’t an idealist. 


“Who are these people kidding? Do they really think posting this stuff online is making a difference?” Sadie sighed out loud.


Her friend looked up from her book and fixed her with an irritated stare.


“Don’t tell me you’re one of those annoying people on the internet that post all lives matter and refuse to change their bigoted opinion of things.”


“No! That’s not what I meant. I understand the importance of Black Lives Matter but isn’t everyone just going overboard now? Like they arrested those police officers? I think everyone needs to chill out now. What’s the point of all this rioting and looting anymore? It’s getting annoying.”


Amelie looked exasperated.


“I hope you aren’t being serious. This movement isn’t just about one murder, but the thousands of black people that are subjected to racism and on many occasions even murdered due to people’s unwarranted and irrational fears. And yes the murderers of George Floyd have been arrested but who knows if they’re going to get the punishment they deserve? And what about all the people whose murderers haven’t been caught? What about their justice?”


Sadie shuffled uncomfortably in her seat.


“I get what you’re saying. I really do!” Sadie exclaimed as Amelie rolled her eyes. “But tell me what looting and rioting is doing? That’s just giving people a reason to be racist!”


“Oh my god, Sadie!” Amelie exclaimed. 


A few people in the cafe gave them vexed looks. Amelie returned their looks with an apologetic nod then continued in a whisper.


“Do you think there’s any actual logical reason for racism? There’s no reasoning behind looking at the color of someone’s skin and labeling them. Just because someone looks different then you it means they’re more likely to be murderers, thieves or dealers? Where’s the reasoning and logic behind that?”


Amelie looked so disappointed in her, Sadie almost didn’t argue. But then she remembered her point.


“You still didn’t explain how rioting and looting is okay? I understand that racism is not okay but that doesn’t excuse ruining innocent people’s lives!”

“I was getting there, but your ignorant comment set me off a little bit.” Amelie spoke through gritted teeth. “First of all, all evidence points towards the fact that all the looting and rioting was started by undercover cops and not by citizens who were just peacefully protesting. Second of all, even if that’s not how it was, every movement in the past has had rioters and protesters. That’s how you get people to listen and raise our voices for what’s right. I'd like to think people's lives are less irreplaceable than material things.”


Amelie took a few breaths as if to calm down and then continued with her rant.


“Without rioting and protesting, do you think we’d be sitting here debating this as free women with rights? Do you think we’d have the right to vote? We’d be treated as second class citizens.”


Sadie was starting to see what Amelie meant but her stubborn nature didn’t allow her to stop arguing this easily.


“Okay okay! I get it but do I have to see this on social media all day every day? Like I know already, It’s not like there’s much I can do? What difference does one person make?”


 “If everyone thought this way, we wouldn’t get anywhere. Look at all we’ve accomplished just sharing posts and spreading information on social media. We got a murderer arrested. We made them hear us. We forced them to listen!” 


Sadie felt her heart get heavy. Was her need to be right so strong that she couldn't accept defeat when she was clearly in the wrong?


“I sound really ignorant right now, don’t I? Oh god, I need to learn when to stop.”


Amelie softened a bit.


“It’s okay. You’re my friend so I can forgive your ignorance as long as you learn from it. I know you can be better and do more.” 


“Tell me what I can do to help?”


Amelie smiled. “Donations are a big help in causes like this. There are so many charities for the Black Lives Matter cause that you can donate to make a difference. And if even that’s a problem for you, than just share links to charities and urge others to donate. Sign as many petitions you can. I promise you are making a difference because every person counts.”


“Okay!” Sadie concurred with a determined look on her face. “Amelie?”


“Yeah?”


“Thanks for being patient with me and educating me on this, and just being a good person in general.”


“I don’t think being a decent human being is something I or anyone else should be praised for. I think this is what should be expected from anyone. Activism is important and needed. Keeping quiet just means you agree with the oppressors. If you don’t take action and keep quiet, you are part of the problem.”


Sadie felt timid again.


“Don’t look at this as me attacking you specifically.” Amelie clarified. “Everyone should educate themselves. If you’re ignorant about something, it’s your job to educate yourselves and others about the matter. In this day and age when we have the internet and so much information at our hands, there’s really no excuse for ignorance.”


Sadie nodded in agreement.


“I understand what you mean. I promise to be better and do better.”

“That’s my girl!” Amelie patted her friends back proudly. “It’s important that we recognize our privilege and help in any way we possibly can. We may not be able to relate to the pain or even begin to imagine what our black brothers and sisters are going through but as human beings, we can empathize with them.”


“I see now. I can’t even imagine what people of color feel right now and how unsafe they probably feel in a country that prosecutes them without any reason whatsoever. I’d be terrified if I was in their place”


Amelie looked content and opened her book again.


“Hey, Amelie?”


“Yes?”


“Will you go protest with me tomorrow?”


“That’ll be nice.”


June 11, 2020 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.