A French Farewell.

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Christine held her sixteen year old daughter in her arms and hugged her so tightly as it would be another six months until she saw her again back on the other side of the world. The Duval family who had taken her as an exchange student six months previously had all come to the station to say goodbye to Christine. The reason for her being here in France was she had decided to visit a relative in England so she had arranged with the Duval family for Katie to travel to England with her. The family organized with the school for her to have five days break on top of the short break that the students had at Christmas. During the European summer they had a longer break to enjoy the warmer weather. 


It was Boxing Day when Christine arrived in France and it had been an exceptionally cold winter. Katie had travelled with the Duval family up to the north of France from their home in Eastern France. Christine caught the train from Paris to the town where the grandparents of the Duval children lived. Katie had spent Christmas there and arrangements had been made for Christine to be collected from her hotel the next morning. Christine was so excited to be seeing her daughter again and wondered if she had changed in the six months. Suddenly, while her back was turned away from the door, she heard a familiar voice saying “Hello Mother!” Katie always liked to address her as Mother when she felt self conscious or nervous. Mostly it was just “Mum”. She turned around and Katie was standing there with Camille, the woman who had been Katie's mother for the last six months .Christine was overcome with happiness to see Katie and they embraced each other affectionately. She was introduced to Camille who greeted her with the usual kisses on each side of her face. She seemed interested to finally put a face to Christine and she commented that it was like looking at an older version of Katie.  

They drove to the home of the grandparents who had prepared a wonderful, traditional French meal to celebrate the arrival of Katie’s mother. Christine was amazed to see how much her daughter’s French had improved and even though she spoke French herself she had to call on Katie to help her out a few times as Christine had not conversed in the language for some time.

In the evening Christine and Katie were taken to the ferry terminal. The Eurostar was not operating due to extreme cold which meant they had to go on the ferry. It was one of the coldest winters that Europe had experienced in many years. Even the sand was covered in snow, right down to the water. This was a strange sight to see. 

They boarded the ferry and eventually it docked at Dover where Catherine and Katie stayed overnight, catching a train next morning to London. 

Even London was under a blanket of snow. They walked through Hyde Park and Kensington Park, rugged up against the cold in coats, hats and thick scarves. They watched the birds landing on the lake in Hyde Park which was very entertaining as the birds skidded along the ice. As they walked they left footprints in the pristine snow. Eventually, when they were very cold they headed up to find a coffee shop where they drank delicious, hot chocolate. They could feel the warm, blood coursing back into their fingers and toes.

The next day they hired a car and drove through some countryside that belonged in a picture book. Hedgerows and bare trees coated in snow and cosy looking cottages with thatched roofs looking like iced cakes. They spent nights in lovely, little, country hotels, only venturing downstairs to the warmth of timber lined dining rooms with huge, crackling fires.

They enjoyed being reunited again and relished the bond of mother and daughter. Katie had missed her so much. Even though the family were wonderful to her and treated her like a daughter, it was not the same as being with your own family. Christine had certainly missed her daughter but it was probably harder for Katie as she was only just sixteen having had her birthday in France and she was with people that she had only known for six months and she had to communicate in a foreign language both at home and at school.

It was Katie’s idea to have the exchange and she was very glad that she had decided to do it but wished she had taken the six month option instead of the year. 

They were back in London for New Years Eve and they decided not to get caught in the crowds at the fireworks, so they went for a lovely meal together and then back to the hotel. There had been a mix up with the booking at their hotel so alternative accommodation had to be found for them. As it was New Years Eve the only place that the hotel could find them was another one in the same area but with five star rating. This made them very happy especially as they did not have to pay any extra. Having such a beautiful room with 180 degree views they decided to stay in their room and watch a Bridget Jones movie and have a supper sent up to them. At about fifteen minutes before midnight they headed down to another floor where they found a great viewing point for the fireworks.

The next morning they travelled by train to Dover across the pristine, white countryside which never ceased to entrance Christine. She loved the atmosphere of stillness and the untouched quality of the fields before they were trampled and driven over. 

They arrived in Dover and it was bone chillingly cold. They walked along the glassy footpath taking every care not to slip. The wind whipped around them and eventually they had refuge in a hotel in the centre of town. They found a little restaurant across the road. It was so charmingly French. It was dimly lit with rustic, wooden tables and the warmth soothed their chilled bodies. It specialized in traditional French dishes so they ordered Boeuf Bourguignon and Christine had a warming glass of red wine. A great French song was playing and forever when Christine heard the artist it always conjured up that night in the restaurant.

By the next evening they were back in Eastern France with the family and Christine was invited to stay for a few days. It was a very special time as she was pulled into their family and she was able to reignite her French speaking skills and watch her daughter communicate as if she had lived there forever. There was delicious and simple French food every night served with local Champagne and red wines. They had wonderful conversation and lots of laughter especially when Christine made a mistake and said something that made no sense or meant something else. 

Katie went off to school with the two boys every day and Christine spent the time with Camille. They went for drives to ancient, old towns perched on the top of small mountains and they explored the countryside. It was still very cold and the forests and fields were just breathtaking in their beauty. 

The night before she was to leave, Katie came into her room and asked if she could come home with her. “ I like it here but it is not the same as home and I miss you and Dad.” Christine said that she had made a commitment and in years to come that she would regret it if she cut the time short. This opportunity to become almost fluent in the language and the fact that she had to learn to live with a new family and make friends at school while speaking in another language would benefit her more than she could imagine in the future. 

Katie cried but Christine realized that as soon as she was gone that she would settle back into her life in France. 

They had all said their goodbyes and Christine walked towards the platform as the family left to go to the car. She glanced back and her daughter gave her a last wave. Christine stood on the platform which was nearly deserted. The wind whipped across the platform and mist swirled around her. She suddenly felt melancholy as she stood there all alone. She felt like she was in some old time movie. She wished she had her precious daughter with her but she knew that when the next six months passed Katie would return home and next time it would be an embrace of welcoming her back into the arms of her family.

It took some time to wake and realize the phone was ringing. She ran to answer it with that feeling of dread that only the sound of a phone in the middle of the night can produce. The voice on the other end delivered the shocking news.

“I’m sorry but the bus driver lost control on the icy road and collided with a truck. There are only five survivors. Your daughter is in a critical condition in hospital. You will have to come."


June 06, 2020 03:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.