0 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Fiction

     The Watcher

Suzanne Marsh

“Jan, we must act quickly, I someone is watching me.”

“Who is watching you, Admiral? The Gestapo or Abwehr?”

“Jan, you are risking your life even being seen with me. Schutzffel, I believe are the ones

most likely to be watching me. You must leave me here, I am ready to meet my

fate.”

“Admiral, what exactly are they investigating you for? I don’t know everything that you

you do, but I do know you are a man or honor.”

I would tell you if I could but there a lot of lives involved, now this is what I want

you to do for me.”

Jan watched as Admiral Wilhelm Franz Canaris, slowly made his way back to his office, his shoulders slumped as if the weight of the world were on them. Jan began the arduous trip to Waldsangerpfad, Admiral Canaris’ home in the center of Berlin. Jan entered the home through a side door into an anteroom. There Admiral Canaris, told to take all of the papers in the safe, hide them from the watchers’ eyes. Jan did as he was instructed, he brought the papers to his home in Duisburg. He told no one where he had been, nor what he had done.

Admiral Canaris, became he more astutely aware of a watcher as he met with Colonel Oster, warning him that they were both being watched. The admiral managed to keep most of his activities secret, conspiring with other Nazi’s in a plot to overthrow Herr Hitler. The meetings were clandestine, and never in the same place twice.

The men began to plot giving it the title, Valkyrie. Once again, the admiral sent for Jan. He needed someone to deliver messages, whom he could trust without question. Jan, tall, Aryan in appearance, with a youthful smile, always present. The admiral, handed Jan a manila envelope:

“Jan, you will give this only to Colonel Hans Oster, no one else, is that clear?”

Jan sensed this manila envelope was of great importance, he had no idea it would implicate a good number of high-ranking Nazi officials. He took the envelope from the admiral, walking slowing toward the door:

“Jan, if you are approached by the Gestapo, burn that envelope immediately, then run.”

Jan, nodded wearily, hoping he would not get caught. He knew way to much of the admiral’s dislike for Herr Hitler. Admittedly, Jan would have ended up in a camp had it not been for the admiral, telling the Gestapo that Jan was an agent of the Abwehr. Jan arrived at Colonel Hans Oster’s office, where he handed the envelope to Oster. Oster, quickly read it, strode over to the fireplace, with the flames silently flickering, placed the envelope in the flames, then nodded to Jan, that he was dismissed. Jan, once again, left walking into the silent night.

Time seemed to stand still for Jan, it had been months before the admiral sent for him once again:

“Jan, if you can slip out of Germany, do so, you are not safe here. No one will safe until

Herr Hitler is dead.”

Jan, his blue eyes stared dumbfounded at the admiral:

“I am safe, I am under your protection.”

“Yes, that is true, but as I told you I am being watched, the Gestapo would like nothing better

than to arrest me. Thus far I have been safe. However, there is a plan that is in place, I

am part of this plan. I cannot tell you exactly what is going to occur, but for your sake

leave Germany, now.”

Jan, saw the admiral’s determination:

“I will leave immediately, please admiral be careful.”

“I will, Jan, I will.”

Admiral Canaris, meet with Colonel Hans Oster and Hans Gisevious later that day. The meeting was held in the ice-cold basement of Waldsagerpfad, where there were no “bugs” that could be planted.

Colonel Claus Von Staffenburg, arrived shortly. He carried a brown leather briefcase. The admiral advised him to be very cautious, there a great deal that depended on the secret being kept among themselves. Von Staffenburg was ready to play his role in Valkyrie.

Jan, flew to Switzerland, where he met with the admiral’s mistress. She had always been a

good source of information, she informed Jan, that the admiral was indeed being watched, she did not have a name would try to get more information. Jan knew that if he disobeyed the admiral’s order he could be shot. He decided it would be wise to stay where he was.

The plot came to fruition on July 20, t944, Hitler was injured slightly. Colonel Claus Von Stauffenburg was hung for treason, admiral Canaris simply stated he had no idea about the conspiracy. Time went on, Canaris thought he was safe. His personal diary was hidden away in a barracks, Jan had done his job well, or so Canaris thought.

Victory was in sight, until Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, was arrested on orders from Hitler himself. Learning that his diary had been found, he knew he was a dead man walking. Hitler was in a rage when he read the diary. The problem was how to make Canaris disappear from the face of the earth The admiral heard the judgment, hoping that the regime would topple before his head did.

Jan, prepared to reenter Germany, he had to help the admiral, as the admiral had once saved his. He disguised himself as an SS officer, hoping to talk to the admiral. By that time the watcher had informed the SS that Admiral Wilhelm Canaris was a traitor, his diary said it all. In Canaris’ own handwriting he acknowledged that he had been part of the conspiracy. The watcher, one Hans von Honin, had done his job very well, he had been on the admiral’s staff for the entire war.

The third army, with Patton leading it was in southern Germany, It was to late for Wilhelm Canaris, he had been tried and convicted of treason. He was sent to Flossenburg Concentration Camp, where he was held. Just before dawn on April 9, 1949, Admiral Canaris tapped in Morse code, to a Danish officer in the next cell: “I was no traitor, I did my duty as a German.”

Admiral Canaris, was stripped naked, and hung. His body was cremated, to hide what had been done to the admiral.

October 12, 2023 20:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.