0 comments

High School Coming of Age Friendship

Sima hated Jun. Hate was a strong word. She was irked by Jun and found his existence annoying, only because it was so intertwined with hers. 

He was handsome and smart and popular and everyone liked him.

She'd known him all her life because he kept finding her. No, seriously, he kept finding her.

In kindergarten, Jun joined her class the second year Sima was there. And they went to the same primary.

In high school, Sima's parents divorced and she moved with her dad to a different city and low and behold, in 11th grade, Jun was in the same class as her.

In college, Sima got the opportunity to study abroad at a prestigious Art and Design college. And so did Jun. Same college. 

She could chuck all of those instances to being coincidences until Jun was appointed head animator at her company.

And in true Jun style, he was well loved at work as well.

She felt justified in her annoyance of Jun because she always came second to him.

She'd always been the well liked, pretty, popular, smart one until Jun showed up and people just kind of pushed her to the side.

Deep down she knew it wasn't his fault that people were so fickle, but she still didn't like him.

So when they were put on the same project, she was not thrilled. 

They were two months into the project and working with Jun had gone smooth. 

Well that's what she thought, until she went outside to catch her breath outside. They were at a bar with the team. Celebrating after their project went through the first stages of approval. 

Jun was smoking. "Oh hey" he said as he blew smoke into the air. 

"Hey Jun" she said nonchalantly. She was tired and a bit tipsy. When had she become a lightweight like this, she thought. 

"Oh wow, she speaks" Jun chuckled. 

This surprised Sima. What was his problem. 

"What's the supposed to mean?" 

"Well, seeing that we've basically been each other's lives since forever. This is the first time you've ever talked to me outside work or other people" he said with a faint smile that didn't reach his lips. 

"I-" words couldn't come to her. She'd never thought about it. But he was right. They'd never actually spoken. 

They talked because of the project but even then, it was never directly. And in school, it was through mutual friends. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't say that to make you feel bad or anything. I was just saying. I know you don't like me much" he said. 

"What? What do you mean I don't like you?" she said, her brain wasn't functioning quickly enough. 

"Well, you've never paid any attention to me. I thought maybe you were just shy. In high school I tried talking to you and you never really paid me any mind even then. In college you saw me at a party walking toward you and you literally turned around and walked the opposite direction. And you can't deny it because I saw you and you saw me see you. Then later that night I heard you tell your friend that seeing me annoyed you" he said. 

"Ugh, I don't know why I'm telling you this. Maybe I'm drunker than I thought. Or maybe because I'll never get this chance again. Anyway, sorry if I've made you uncomfortable. I'm not looking for an explanation or anything. I'm just saying" he said taking a drag out of his cigarette. 

Sima was completely shocked at this point. This was a lot of information and she didn't know what to say. So she just looked down at her feet. 

She was actually embarrassed. She'd spent all this time not liking a guy who tried to get to know her and she never gave him a chance because she was jealous of him. 

That's what it was. She'd been running from him because she was jealous. And she felt inferior to him. So she just closed herself off to an opportunity at a friendship or even... 

Before she could think any further. Someone was calling their names. 

"Well I think we've been gone for too long. Let's head back" Jun said taking the last drag of his cigarette and putting it out. 

"Yeah" she said weakly. 

Two weeks had passed since her talk with Jun. Well when Jun talked to her. She just stood there without saying anything. 

She had to clear things with him. She knew what she wanted to say and he deserved to know the truth because for the first time, when he was talking, Sima was actually looking at him. 

She was taking in his face and how sad he seemed about her shutting him out.  

He actually seemed saddened by her behaviour and she needed to tell him it wasn't his fault. She was just an idiot. A childish idiot. 

When lunchtime came and everyone was making their way to the office cafeteria. Sima quickly made her way to Jun. 

"Come with me" she said without looking back. 

She made her way to the cafe that was close to their office building. 

"Oh my God" she said in shock as she turned around and found him standing behind her. 

She'd acted so abruptly, she didn't know if he actually followed her. 

Relief overcame her after she saw him standing in the little cafe. 

"Let's sit down. I have some things I have to tell you." 

They made their order at the counter and made their way to a cozy booth by the window. 

"Firstly, I'd like to apologise for just commanding you to come here. I think my body acted before my brain. And you'll soon find out that that's a common theme with me" she said with a weary smile. 

He was looking at her intently. 

"I, well, did find you annoying. But it's not for the reasons you think. It was because of me. I didn't know it back then, but now I've had time to think about things and I know it was all me."

"I've always been good with people and I worked hard to be seen as smart. And when you came along, everything just seemed so naturally for you. Not to say that you don't work hard or anything. But everything just seemed to be easy for you" 

"You were revered by our peers and teachers alike and you were good at everything you touched. That made me so incredibly jealous because I wasn't like that. And people seemed to turn their backs on me once you showed up."

"And dude you showed up everywhere I was" they both laughed at this. 

"So of course I was annoyed by you. But not because I didn't like you. Because I felt inferior to you. And I thought you'd expose me for because a fraud if I was close to you."

"And also in my defense. I never thought you were paying attention to me like that" she finished shyly. 

By this time. The waitress had come with their orders. So she took a sip of her Americano. She'd said a lot. She figured he wanted to say something too. 

"Thank you for saying all of that. Honestly it puts me at ease. I really thought you hated me. And I didn't want that. Because as crazy as it may sound but you're a constant in my life" 

"No matter where life throws me, you're always there. After primary, even though we didn't start at the same high school, I knew I'd see you again because 'Sima is always there' I used to think. And that gave me great comfort."

This made her smile. 

"I never thought of it like that. But I see where you're coming from." she said with a smile. 

"I'm glad. So no more running okay?" 

"Haha okay Jun, no more running*

" And as fate has shown us, you can't run forever"

And at that they both laughed. 

February 01, 2024 19:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.