A Lie That Almost Ruined a Life

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Write about a character who thinks they have a sun allergy.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Romance Inspirational

A young woman in her late twenties early thirties live alone. In a small town she never goes out side unless it is storming. One day a young man walks by her house sees that she is having trouble. Trying to get her news paper that is sitting on her porch. She is trying so hard to scoot the paper to the door with her broom.

All attempts fail at her getting the news paper. The young man from the street watches wondering why. She just does not walk out and grab it he looks on as she walks back inside. To grab something else he really cant make out what she is using this time but what ever it is.

She can open the bottom and grab stuff with it finally after about. Twenty minutes of working to get her paper she finally has success. Grabs her paper only to disappear back into her house. This goes on like this every day three days later the young man. See all of this take place again he can not help his self this time he asks.

Young man: ( Mama would you like some help?)

Young woman: ( No. I think I got it.)

The young man watches her struggling as she try’s to get the morning paper. The young man thinks no paper is worth all that trouble. He sees that she is dressed even has shoes on. Why does she not just get it? He can not help his self he opens the gate walks up to the porch. Grabs the paper handing it to her looks her in the eye asking.

Young man: ( Why don’t you just walk out and grab it? Why all the trouble? I watched you yesterday trying to get it. For twenty minutes trying to get this paper.)

Young woman: (No hi or hello my name is. Just straight into the questions.)

She asked with a smile on her face looking him up and down. With out him trying to notice.

Young man: (I am sorry my name is Bill. You are? )

Young woman: ( my name is Amber.)

Bill: ( Well Amber it is nice to meet you. Back to my previous question. Why will you not leave your house to grab you paper?)

Amber:( You may think I am joking but I have allergy to the sun.)

Bill: ( really a sun allergy?)

Amber: ( Yes a sun allergy. You can go a head and laugh at me as you leave.)

Bill: ( Why would you think that I would laugh at you?)

Amber: ( Because everyone does. I am tired of being laughed at.)

Bill: ( I am not laughing at you. I am still standing here .)

Bill and Amber talk for a while at the front door. Soon she invites him in her home to talk some more. They sit on the couch talking Amber gets Bill a drink they talk for hours. It become night out side Bill says it is time for him to go.

Amber: ( Will you come by tomorrow?)

Bill: ( If you would like me to.)

Bill goes to Amber’s house day after day after day this goes on for months. Soon they become a couple though they do not go out. All to often on dates they usually stay in Bill makes supper. Amber picks picks out what movie they watch after eating they sit on the couch. Cuddling watching the movie Bill never stays at her house .

Amber gets a little frustrated with him not staying over. She does not ever say anything to him because she is afraid he will leave her. This goes on for month one day Amber gets enough courage to ask Bill.

Amber: ( Bill why don’t you ever stay over?)

Bill: ( Because I do not want you to think bad about me.)

Amber: ( Why do you think I would think bad about you?)

Bill: (I have a routine I do every night before bed. I am not sure you are ready to see it.)

Amber: ( What kind of routine?)

Bill goes on to explain everything he does before bed. Like brush his teeth showers lays in bed for a while. Gets up walks around makes sure everything is locked up. Gets back in bed watches television then exercises. Lays there for a while but does not go into great detail about everything.

Amber sits there listening to every as he is talking thinking to her self. ( This is why he does not stay the night. This is nothing I could handle this.) Bill looks at Amber finally saying.

Bill: ( Now do you see why I do not stay the night.)

Amber: ( None of that matters to me.)

Bill : (I will make you a deal.)

Amber: ( What kind of deal will that be?)

Bill: ( I will start staying the night.)

A big grin comes across Amber’s face the fades fast when Bill say’s

Bill: ( If we go out on a date right now.)

Amber becomes extremely mad looks at Bill saying.

Amber: ( You know I can not go out side I have a sun allergy. You trying to get me sick.)

Bill knowing that it all a lie he looked it up on the computer. He also went to the library read every book he could find. On allergies and illnesses of all kids caused by the sun. Not one thing in all of his research did it say anything about. A allergy caused by the sun his sits there listening to her. This being their first major fight calmly looks at her and asks.

Bill: ( What symptoms do you get when you go into the sun.)

Amber: ( Well my stomach hurt. I get a headache my eyes hurt. My skin turns red.)

Bill: ( Is that all ?)

Amber: ( Yes.)

Bill: ( All of that is easily explainable.)

Amber : ( How.)

Bill: ( First. Who told you that you had allergies to the sun?)

Amber: (My mom did.)

Amber goes into great detail about how her mom told her. That if she did not come home at a certain time. That Amber would get a allergy to the sun one day Amber decided to stay out longer than. Usual coming home when it was completely dark out side. Then the next day she got up for school walked out into the sun. Her eyes started to hurt she got a stomach ache with a head ache.

Bill listening to everything that she say calmly looks at her and say.

Bill: ( Let me tell you why everything that you just said is not true.)

Bill sat there tell her exactly why none of it is true listing reasons as to why. Brought books with him doctor’s wrote showing her. Why it is not true even got out his laptop showing her emails he has from different doctor’s. That backs up what other doctor’s say about allergies and the sun. 

When Bill is finally done with everything looking Amber. With the stunned look she has Bill asks.

Bill: ( Are you okay?)

Amber: ( No I am not. My mom lied to me all these years.)

Bill: ( It is okay we can work through this.)

Amber: (Okay.)

On that night Bill Started staying at Amber’s house slowly. Over the next few month’s Bill started to move some stuff in her house. On the agreement that they work on her going out side. They took baby steps on both him moving stuff in and her. Going out side more and more they both worked at it. Further and further she got out side Bill smiled.

One day she looked at Bill and said.

Amber: ( I honestly could have been out side all these year’s.)

Bill: ( Yes you could have.)

Amber: ( Why would my mom say something like that? It ruined my child hood.)

Bill: ( I could not tell you. Wait maybe it was told to her by her mom so she said it to you.)

Amber: ( I don’t know. But I do know this in the morning we are going for a walk.)

That very next day Amber and Bill went on the longest walk. Bill has ever been on just so Amber could get out and enjoy being out side. For the first time since she was thirteen year’s old. All because of a lie her mom told her and because of that lie. Ruined her entire childhood by home schooling her and ruined part of her adult life.

May 01, 2021 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ryan LmColli
17:04 May 10, 2021

Join this: https://www.guilded.gg/i/0k80xDmk Oh no... ouch. I definitely teared up by the end. I really can’t say enough good things about this story. I’m a Chinese-American young woman - who has a fondness for Mandarin scattered throughout English - so it especially hit hard for me. You captured so many bits of the culture incredibly well: 哥哥, 妈妈, offering food as a comfort tactic. All of it feels so loyal and true to real life. I absolutely love the tie-ins to other Chinese characters too. It’s a funny language. (I created...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.