Smoky Rose

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

24 comments

Romance Sad Friendship

I miss that little nudge in my ribs at seven A.M. and waking up to her vivacious smile. But now I recall her freckled face and tousled copper locks, I wonder, was it a pout rather than a lively grin? Her lips had a life of their own and quivered like the smouldering rim of an active volcano. She was just as likely to pounce on me as erupt into laughter. I’d blink in bewilderment as she drew near, uncertain of her mood and prepare for a possible onslaught. However, most mornings it was her dark hazel eyes that held me captive, glistening like meadowland dew under a cloudless sunrise. Her steady gaze communicated a language I alone understood, articulating thoughts in silent phrases she’d  punctuate with delicate twitches of that button nose, a quizzical eyebrow or subtle lash flutter.

  They say the three ingredients for a happy relationship are staying ahead of the curve, keeping it fresh and not taking things for granted. We never discussed our recipe, because we didn’t have a specific formula. It worked well for such a long time that we avoided analysing it. If you’ve ever tried to explain a joke, you’ll appreciate what I’m saying; by the time you’ve dissected the humour, the moment’s passed. If you’re pushing me to explain our strategy, I’d say we liked to pretend we’d only just met and imagined we’d never meet here again. We’d improvise in the moment like a couple of actors in a long-running show. There was never a fixed script for our daily ritual, and always room for a spontaneous performance.

   Morning, I’d say to her, wiping the sleep away as if recovering from a hibernation.

   Hey, she’d say with a gentle whisper. Do you fancy a nice cup of tea?

   Tea, love? I’d say, rasping a parched tongue over my incisors. 

   Ooh, yes please, she’d respond as if I’d agreed to make it. What a lovely idea.

She’d got her routine down pat, and I never learned my lesson.

   Right, love, I’d say, as she wrapped our quilt around her long pale limbs. Tea it is.

*  *  *

We both agreed a fresh pot of tea is a grand start to any day. The notion of tea in bed was our tonic. It’s a powerful force for good, both invigorating and restorative. We’d started every morning for the past two decades in the same bed and made time for our ritual and relished its comforting whoosh of inner warmth.

   I admit there were days when I could’ve remained in bed and snuggled up under our cloud of cosy domesticity. The cold winter months scarcely invited an exploratory toe, tentative foot, let alone a majestic leap off the mattress. There were days when I’d said, Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then I’d close my eyes and nudge over to her side. She could be firm with me. I could expect a sharp rib jab or tickle, depending on my position.

   No, no, no, not that! I’d say, shielding my ribs. 

   You promised tea.

   It’s cold out there…

   Don’t make me count to three, she’d say.

   You’re so harsh.

   One…

   Give me a moment.

   Two…

   Okay, okay, I’d say, rolling out of bed with her firm foot in my back.

   Slap! Slap! 

With my frozen feet on the bare boards, I’d grit my teeth and face her. 

   Go on then, she’d say, pulling my side of the quilt up to her chin. 

   Just remember, I’d say, grabbing my shirt. It’s your turn tomorrow. 

   Why, of course. She’d purse her lips with mock sincerity. 

   I’m gonna hold you to that, I’d say, hauling on my crumpled jeans. 

   The very idea, she’d say, furrowing her high-domed brow as if affronted.

*  *  *

Tomorrow never came, of course. Why would it? I was a sucker for that Smoky Rose lipstick and those full lips sipping tea from her morning cup. That wonderful, gentle and appreciative smile hovered below her cheekbones like a hummingbird visiting a nectar rich flower. It was a fleeting moment that few had witnessed or acknowledged for its rare beauty. I’d sip my morning beverage and watch her savouring the steaming infusion. Her eyelids would flutter and those dense lashes would droop like rich velvet curtains surrendering to gravity’s pull under a proscenium arch. Her broad smile would envelope her face as she inhaled the tea’s fragrance, drifting upward like mist on a distant loch at dawn. 

*  *  *

She knew those first moments together were the highlight of my morning, my rocket fuel and call to action. It was a powerful motivation that had worked every day of our long marriage. So, I know this is going to sound disrespectful, but I got to hate her tea cup lying around the place. It’s true to say, I lost count how many times I tripped over it beside the bed, found it perched it on my laptop or removed it from my desk top to discover a neat brown ring on a report or important piece of paperwork. She’d deny leaving it around the apartment, of course, but could never find it. If I located it, she’d say it wasn’t hers. I’d clam up at that point. Never underestimate the power of denial. It’s a destructive force. Smoky Rose is a distinctive colour and as I don’t use lipstick, it was obvious who’d abandoned their debris. Maybe I should’ve bought a new cup with her name on it, but life’s too short. Life’s full of ‘maybes’ at a certain time of life and it doesn’t matter now.

*  *  *

I miss that little smile first thing in the morning and the way she’d ask me if I fancied a cup of tea. I knew what she meant and pretended otherwise. Clearly, it was a request for tea disguised as a question. We both knew what was implied and tried to forget she’d dropped the hint about a morning cup of tea about seven thousand times before. You can’t dismiss twenty years of waking up together in the same bed. Even if we made believe otherwise, we couldn’t ignore that inevitable moment every single day.

*  *  *

I don’t miss that jab in the ribs anymore. I enjoy loafing about in bed since they made me redundant. There’s not much call for creative writers to work on local newspapers these days. Anyway, I always hated getting up early in the morning. The winter months were the worst when it was dark and cold. The damp air would choke my lungs with rivers of moist phlegm. I’d cough my guts up as I waited for the pan of water to boil on the stove. Yeah, I don’t miss getting up to that combination. 

*  *  *

The pile of tannin-stained crockery on my bedside table tells my present story and that single vessel on her side reveals another tale. In the end, all that’s left is a smudge of Smoky Rose on the rim of her teacup and last year’s birthday card signed with her signature lipstick kiss.  

I couldn’t care less that she’s gone.

But you know that’s not true.

I’m doing just fine by myself now.

Nobody believes those words.

I don’t miss her at all.


The End




February 16, 2024 22:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Karen Hope
15:26 Feb 19, 2024

Your writing is beautiful. We are invested in that intimate morning ritual of tea in bed, but it didn't last. So bittersweet - but often how love goes.

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:39 Feb 19, 2024

Hello Karen, Thank you for reading story and sharing your thoughts. What you say about love is so true; we never appreciate it and understand how blessed we are to meet a likeminded soul; finishing each other’s sentences, sharing a funny moment or gently rubbing noses together. The little things are what we remember afterwards. I say ‘keep it simple’. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erin Lequay
02:19 Mar 14, 2024

I really melted reading this piece. The way it sings one moment and then it’s like the lights brighten and reality is exposed. Wonderful and captivating.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:30 Mar 14, 2024

Hello Erin, Thank you for reading my story, sharing your thoughts and leaving your delightful comments; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope the themes linger a while; it’s the most I could ask for…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emuna Lissy
18:33 Feb 21, 2024

how did she die?

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:44 Feb 21, 2024

Hello Emuna, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts regarding her fate. It’s a good question which I can’t answer with certainty, however, I might return to see how he’s surviving without her…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Curtis Jackson
19:08 Feb 19, 2024

Reminisces of bedside tea servings at dawn might soothe the emotions of loss and separation. Thank you, Mr. Halsall, for your lovely story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:39 Feb 19, 2024

Hey Curtis, Thank you for reading my latest story and taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m pleased you liked it and hope it evoked some pleasant memories or maybe just lingers a while…, Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
14:38 Feb 19, 2024

Loads of pathos and sadness prompted this week. Your high standard again this week, thanks for sharing.

Reply

Howard Halsall
16:31 Feb 19, 2024

Hello John, Thank you for reading my latest submission and sharing your thoughts. It was a bit of a dash to hit the deadline this week, so I’m pleased you enjoyed it and relieved it came together in time. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
08:54 Feb 19, 2024

Mm....Howard. A great story but I have to say he wasn't my cup of tea. Once he started to moan about where she left her teacup and the brown ring stains - well, I'd already left him! Thanks for writing Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:35 Feb 19, 2024

Hey Stevie, I quite agree, those petty niggles that accumulate in a relationship are so corrosive and always undermine the foundations; life’s too short. Anyhow, thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
JP G
22:51 Feb 18, 2024

Bittersweet and very relatable...memories can really get to you even if a long time has already passed. Thanks for sharing a great story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:37 Feb 19, 2024

Hey JP, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your reaction and positive feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
21:17 Feb 18, 2024

Romance, yes. Friendship, yes, Sad..yes and more yes! I would like to read more of what it was like for them when they met, what they both did for a living.... okay, romance is not my fav...but this story might change my mind. Please don't leave us hanging; will await part 2...!! Thanks for reading mine

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:42 Feb 19, 2024

Hello L J, I’m pleased you read and enjoyed my bittersweet romance. It’s great that you liked the couple and want to know more, alas I’ve no current plan to follow up with part 2, however maybe it would be a fun idea to explore. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
21:03 Feb 18, 2024

Howard, a wonderfully bittersweet story! Memories can be a comfort or a stab in the heart. So true to say “you don’t know what you got until it’s gone.”

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:47 Feb 19, 2024

Hello Judith, Thank you for engaging with my story. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and agree with you about loss. It’s so easy to be complacent in a marriage and/or relationship; the trick is to remain kind, respectful and be patient; it’s a two way process and being a good listener helps. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:13 Feb 18, 2024

We're all left wondering what exactly happened that made her leave. The way he reminisced, I knew something negative could happen. It did. It is true to life (could be literally) that he remembered good and bad aspects. She left a teacup around and then refused to admit it. All part of the nostalgia. People do remember in pictures how someone has made them feel. Well done. I did wonder why she would have lipstick on in bed! Seems messy. LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
02:31 Feb 17, 2024

Kind of like a story I remember about a wife always complaining her husband left the cabinet doors open. Guess what she missed the most once he was gone? Thanks for liking my 'Alyce's Restaurant '.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
00:19 Feb 17, 2024

Well, first of all, yes, you are part of my list of writers on this site whose works I always look forward to reading. This was stunning. Such vivid descriptions. I love how it all flowed. Brilliant !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
00:03 Feb 17, 2024

You made me fall in love (no, I don't swing that way) and then you took her away. Shame on you. Wonderful images, wonderful sentiments. You're forgiven.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
16:07 Feb 18, 2024

Smoky Rose - what a great name and image! The MC misses her now she’s not around anymore and built up what seems a silly resentment over the leaving of the teacups. Maybe she wasn’t perfect, but who is? Why wouldn’t he appreciate and treat her well? It’s a lot better than the lonely alternative he now finds himself in. Only when she leaves does he realise what he’s lost. All he has left now is a smudged teacup.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:11 Feb 18, 2024

Really well written, great imagery.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.