ONCE A STRANGER, NOW A FAMILY

Written in response to: Write a story where fortune doesn’t favor the brave.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Drama Happy

Life takes a U-TURN and makes sure you reach your deserving place if your intentions are pure.

Somewhere... In the streets of Delhi, as a part of his daily hustle, a boy was doing his job of washing utensils in a small Dhaba where he could earn his bread and butter from. The Dhaba owner always behaved in a harsh way with him and used to beat the boy up... if sometimes, the work didn’t get done. The owner regularly asked the boy what his name was, But the 15-year-old boy never answered. Because he himself didn’t know what his name was. Even the owner knew that the boy didn't have any name, but intentionally he used to irritate the boy by asking the question.

 Every one of us wakes up to our Alarm sound. But this boy used to wake up to the garbage trucks sound, flies surrounding him, no person to talk or share his feelings with. Vexed up with the everyday question of his owner,” What is your name?” The boy decided to name himself. As usual, he went for his work at the Dhaba. There, He heard a parent calling their little 3-year-old child running here and there as “Atharv”. That was the moment the boy felt, If he had his own parents, they might have also named him the same. “Atharv”, That’s what he called himself from then on. This guy always used to be cautious about everything going on in his life, Concerned and Compassionate in his attitude but he had no one in his life towards whom he can show his concern. He was an orphan, who had no one who’d ask about his well-being. And suddenly, may be god saw him suffering, A girl named Pari was sent into his life. Pari belonged to a well-sophisticated family. It was 4:00 in the evening. As usual, 19-year-old Pari was returning from her college in bus. The bus stopped near to the Dump-Yard due to a machinery failure. Through her window, Pari saw Atharv sitting under a tent and crying with bleeding wounds. Pari couldn’t resist herself. She got down the bus and ran towards the boy. Upon being asked, Atharv told Pari about how badly he was treated by his owner. Pari’s anger knew no bounds upon hearing that. She asked Atharv to take her along with him to the owner. Atharv hesitated. He told that he’d get beaten up again if he went there. Pari assured Atharv that nothing like that would be happening and convinced him to take her along. Pari tried to speak to the owner in a calm way that the way Atharv is getting treated is not right. But the owner’s tone didn’t change its path from a high one. Pari couldn’t control herself now. She bursted out, “Firstly, you are making a boy do work when it’s the time for him to study, and when I’m here to request you to speak with him in a nice way, you are crossing your limits?!”.

The owner shouted, “OH hello madam, you are no one to say all these things. Do you even know how this boy is alive today? Because of me, Yes , It’s because of me. I went and rescued this boy who was crying… lying on the deserted road”. Atharv was watching everything happening with a shock in his eyes. Atharv asked inquisitively, “Owner Sir, do you know my Parents? How do they look? Where are they?”.

The owner shrugged, “How do I know? They just threw you off on the road”. Pari stopped Atharv from asking further questions. She started, “Dear Sir, I’m really very grateful to you for rescuing Atharv but that doesn’t at all mean that he’s your slave. Atharv sleeps near the dump yard. You have not given him a big life for your kind information”. Looking at Atharv, Pari continued,” Atharv, you don’t need to ask about such parents who threw you behind. You are coming with me to my home now. And I’m not listening any excuses”. Atharv vividly smiled and nodded. Pari hired an Auto and took Atharv along. Pari’s Mother, Mythili was seen standing at the door with perspiration on her forehead. Upon seeing Pari, She gained her breath back. “Where have you been so long Pari?”. Before Mythili could utter more words, she saw Atharv getting down from the Auto. Pari explained everything to her mom and convinced her to let Atharv stay at home along with them. Unwillingly, intending not to disappoint her daughter, Mythili said, “okay”. Atharv smiled at Mythili. But Mythili didn’t smile back. Inside the home, Pari’s Father, Dharam was reading Newspaper. Pari was quite confident that her Father would never say no to her decision. As expected, Dharam didn’t have any problem with Atharv’s staying at their home. Infact, Dharam appreciated Pari for taking such good step. Pari started spending more time with Atharv. With the help of few known people, Dharam got Atharv admitted into a School. With the passing days, Pari got even closer to Atharv and they started living like siblings. Whenever Dharam got time off his job, He’d go and spend time with both the children. Dharam started to treat Atharv too as his child. Atharv called Dharam as “Dad”. On the other hand, Mythili was not able to digest the changes going on around her. She felt like her daughter is going away from her because of Atharv. Whenever Atharv tried to speak to her, she just ignored him and continued with her work. Atharv always felt hurt because of her behavior. He always tried to take a step to get closer to Mythili no matter how many times she ignored him.

The days passed within a blink of eye. Pari’s wedding preparations were on. As always Pari took Atharv along for the shopping. But while getting back home, something happened which no one expected. Pari met with an accident. Atharv rushed to the hospital carrying Pari. Upon knowing about their daughter’s accident, Mythili and Dharam hurried to the hospital. Immediately after reaching, Mythili showered questions over Atharv about how everything happened. Atharv said,” Pari Sister got hit by a car while trying to save me”. Atharv tried to explain,” Mom,It all happened unknowingly”. Mythili’s eyes got red and teary. Unable to control her anger, she slapped Atharv. “don’t you dare call me Mom”. She ran to see her daughter. Dharam followed her. The doctors said that Pari’s situation is critical and they won’t be able to declare anything at the moment. Mythili broke down crying,”Within a few days, It’s her marriage and now, she is swinging in between life and death”. Atharv was helplessly standing in the corner with tears in his eyes.Looking at Atharv, Mythili continued, “It would be good if Pari didn’t get this curse to our home, It all happened because of him”. Dharam tried to console her. That night only one of the family member was allowed to stay in the hospital. Atharv said that he’d like to stay and requested Mythili and Dharam to go home and get some rest. Mythili joined her hands and said, “No need of doing such great favour Mr. Atharv...I’ll be near my daughter. You’ve already done a lot by pushing her to death. I don’t want you to be present near my daughter”. Atharv was upset. He never left his sister alone anytime since the time they met. Atharv didn’t leave the place. For every 2 minutes, he secretly watched Pari when Mythili wasn’t noticing. Mythili felt asleep in the chair near to Pari’s bed. It was then, Pari’s breath started to speed up. This case usually happens when a person is about to die. Mythili was in her deep sleep. She didn’t realize the things going around. Atharv immediately ran to call the doctor when he saw his sister fighting for breath. The doctor came and started giving required medications to Pari. Hearing all the noises, Mythili woke up. She was shocked to see Pari surrounded by the doctors. The doctors shifted Pari to the ICU. Atharv went in, to check out what’s happening. Mythili didn’t notice Atharv going in. The doctors told Atharv that Pari has undergone heavy blood loss and immediately needs a donor. Coincidentally, Pari and Atharv had same blood group. Atharv donated his blood to Pari. Dharam and Mythili were waiting outside. After the operation, the doctors went to Mythili and said, “Ma’am, your daughter is totally alright now. You can come and see her”. There were happy tears in Mythili’s eyes. She slowly opened the ICU door and saw Pari smiling. Mythili felt relieved upon seeing her daughter alright. The doctor joined them and started,” You should be really proud to have children like Atharv and Pari who love each other so deeply”. Mythili stopped the doctor, “You are mistaken, Doctor. Atharv is not our son. Mythili is our only daughter”. The doctor was shocked to hear that. “OH I didn’t know that. When Atharv donated his blood, I felt that he too is your son”. The doctor explained everything to Mythili and Pari about how Atharv came running to him when he saw Pari’s breath speeding up. The doctor added, “If Atharv wouldn’t have turned up in time, to us, then we might surely had lost Pari”.

Pari’s eyes teared up. She said,” I know how much he loves me. I should not have hurried to cross the road. He held my hand and pulled me back and said that we should wait for some time. But I didn’t listen. I got him off my hand and hurried to cross the road”

Mythili was shocked. “Didn’t you get hit by the car while saving Atharv?”

Pari laughed, “Did Atharv say this mom? Such a dramatic person he is! Why didn’t he tell you that I got hit by the car because of my own idiocy?!”

Dharam entered and interrupted the conversation, “Madam Mythili, Atharv took the entire blame over himself because he didn’t want his sister to get scolded”. Mythili remembered how badly she treated Atharv all the days. She was ashamed of herself for slapping Atharv. Mythili teared up. She called the doctor and asked him where Atharv was. Atharv was standing at the door and listening everything. He entered the room as soon as he realized that Mythili was searching for him. Looking at Mythili with an innocent smile, He asked, “Is anyone missing me here?”.

With tears in the eyes, Mythili smiled and said,”Such a dramatic person you are..Atharv, Come here”

Having Atharv seated beside her, She slightly touched Atharv’s cheek and said,”Sorry dear. For all those days I treated you badly. I felt that you are taking my daughter away from me. But never realized that I’ve found a shield for my Mythili in the form of you. You are not a curse Atharv. You are a blessing to our family”

Atharv smiled,”Aunty, Not –“

Befor Atharv could complete his sentence, Mythili slapped him.

“Ouchh! What did I do now?”

“Whom are you calling Aunty? Call me Mom!”

The tears started rolling down the cheeks of Atharv. He smiled and nodded. Mythili hugged him.

“Atharv, I’m sorry. Sorry for all the days when I made you feel dejected”.

“Ahem Ahem, Is the Drama done between Mom and Son? Can Daughter and Dad join the party?”, Dharam joked.

Mythili smiled ,”Wait, Let me ask my son’s permission. Atharv, Shall we let them in?”

Atharv giggled and nodded.

“Pari Sister, Mom and Dad named you perfectly. You are really an angel. It’s because of you I got the best family”, said Atharv in tears

Pari smiled and said,” I’m blessed to have founded you Atharv”

Atharv now felt complete. He had found a Mother, Father and a Sister who could go to any extent for his happiness.                                          

 SPECIAL BONDS DON’T ALWAYS NEED A BLOOD RELATION.


February 27, 2022 17:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.