0 comments

Sad Speculative Creative Nonfiction

 The two bear cubs were about 8 months old. They had been having a great time learning to climb, swim, hunt and play. Their mother had spent a few months finding them a really nice cave to hibernate in and made sure their bellies were full before they settled in for their winter sleep. The winter months were harsh with deep snow and sub-zero wind chill. The cubs had never experienced winter and when they first got to the cave wanted to play. Mother bear let them frolic and went on the prowl for one more kill. They snow had come early this year and it fascinated the cubs. After they had all gorged themselves full, she led them deep into the cave and the all feel into a dep sleep.

  Outside the snow kept falling and the wind blew huge drifts to cover the cave opening. The quiet of winter settled in and the three bears were in a deep sleep. Their body temperatures lowered. Hunters had passed through the area but with the deep snow drift blocking the cave entrance the bears never even knew that their lives might have been in jeopardy. Inside the cave time stood still but outside was another story, Snowstorm after snow storm layered, they area with deep and treacherous snow. Sleet covered it making it icy and slippery. A few herds of deer passed through forging for food. However, time does move forward even in the bleakest of weather. The first thaw began and the huge blanket of snow began to shrink in size. The rivers and creeks began to fill and ice dams caused flooding. Inside their cozy cave the bears still slept

 One wonder if bears dream. Do they float off into a place that is warm, sunny and filled with fish and berries? Do they dream they are playing, climbing, and splashing around in the water? I doubt if we will ever really know. But we do know that their hibernation keeps them safe from the dangers of winter. We do know their body temperature drops and they burn off extra fat while they are in this sleeping state. The bears were beginning to have short periods of wakefulness. It was almost like they new spring was coming. They would yawn, stretch, sniff the air, roll around a bit, and then fall back asleep.

 Groups of geese were slowly heading back north and you could hear their honking to each other. The flooding had stopped but the snow wasn’t completely gone. The nights were still biter cold and you could here branches snapping under the weight of the ice. Few humans came to this part of the world. Partly because it was owned by native tribes and it wasn’t the easiest place to get to. No main roads or big thruways and highways. The bears had chosen wisely and would soon be fully aroused and ready for spring. Even though they were sleeping the cubs had been growing and would emerge from the cave larger then when they had entered.

 The last of the snow was just about gone. The bears were up and heading toward the entrance. Their main motivation was hunger. The had gone months without food and didn’t really care about anything else. They emerged with the noses sniffing and eager to hunt. The head for the nearest water and drank long and deep. They snagged some fish but they barely eased the growling in their stomachs. Mother bear suddenly became very still. She could smell deer close by. She turned and headed of up the water line coast. She saw the herd and watched to see which one appeared the weakest. She found her mark and was of like a shot. The cubs now almost twice the size they were from before hibernation, were right there with her. They took down two deer and finally their hunger was eased.

   The cubs were almost funny in their delight to be outdoors. The played tag, climbed trees, fished, and honed their hunting skills. They rolled around in the grass and dirt and splashed through the creeks and rivers, working on their fishing. A butterfly would always catch their attention and they would chase after if for hours or until it flew away. The spring air filled them with energy and they began to roam further from there mother. She was feeling the mating call and would often leave them for long periods of time.

 What none of these bears knew is that a portion of their protection had been removed by the government. They had not yet developed a fear of man or their scent because they had not encountered them before. They were aware of a strange odor in their territory but it did not but them one high alert. Hunters had spotted the bears and had been tracking them. They were waiting for them to go off of tribal land because the government had changed the bounders. It didn’t matter to the hunters that they were cubs. These humans had their own kind of spring fever. They wanted to kill for sport. They wanted to make themselves feel brave and they wanted to go home with bears meat and bears skin so they could boast at their skills of hunting.

 Right on the border of tribal land was a small group of trees and in one of them there was a nice size beehive. The cubs had learned about honey last year and they were approaching the area of the hive. The hunters had been tracking them and knew that they were about to score. Sure, enough the bubs went for the honey. The hunters watched as they climbed the tree. The adjusted the scoped on their rifles and waited. The cubs climbed back down and were thrilled with their sweet treat. The sky above was starting to fill with grey rain clouds. Two loud shoots rang out in the picture-perfect spring day. They cubs went down and blood started oozing from their wounds. The hunters yelped in delight. The approached the cubs complimenting each other on their good marksmanship. The cubs lay lifeless. Wide eyed, with all spark of life vanishing from their eyes

March 21, 2021 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.