0 comments

Fiction

I finished applying my makeup, a bit of smokey eye, some red lip gloss, and lots of concealer. I suppose after all this time, I’d figured that I needed to be stocked up, though I was running low.

I don’t think I’ll be needing it anymore after today. 

The image put a smile on my face, and I toyed with the switch in the pocket of my coat. The little activation key to a very important pet project of mine; one that I was finally ready to unveil. 

I prepared a speech as well. I’d been rehearsing it in my head for years, and out loud for months now. I had some things I needed to get off my chest, and it seemed fitting, after all.  

Isn’t that how all fights go between heroes and villains? 

“Ah, it appears you’ve arrived right on time.” 

I throw my hair behind me with a flourish and laugh behind a gloved hand. The manic cackle that escapes my lips surprises me. 

I thought I’d forgotten what it was like to laugh. 

“I bet you’re shocked to see me here, Iron Fist. Though… I know you as Damian Hoffsteder. The apple of my eye, my lovely husband.” 

I narrow my eyes and make a point to stand up just a bit straighter. My reflection looked a bit hunched, and I wanted to seem as confident as possible. I couldn’t back down, or show any sign of weakness. 

He was always an expert on finding my weaknesses. I was always weak for his smiles, or even the way he made others smile for so long, even if it was a lie. 

I just couldn’t go along with it anymore. It hurt too much. 

“Iron Fist,” I continued into the mirror, making sure I maintained eye contact with my reflection. “I don’t think your loyal fans would see this coming. They know you as a shining paragon of justice; a pillar of hope in our community.” 

My lips twist into a snarl of their own volition. “They don’t know you like I know you, Damian. They don’t get to see what you’re like behind closed doors. Luckily for them, this is between us, and only us.” 

I imagine this would be the time where he begins to sweat, or even retort. Maybe he’ll shout some cheesy catchphrase at me, as if I were some villain he fought in the street. When we first met, I’d found them charming. Now they’re just another lie. 

“Your name is fitting, Damian. You always had to be in control. Whether it was our marriage, my social life, my appearance… it always had to be run by you.” 

He’d told me that heroes have images they have to uphold, and I was a part of that. He’d made me believe that I was doing my part as a citizen when he’d tell me that I couldn’t see my friends without him, that I couldn’t go out in public without looking a certain way, buttoned up and picture-perfect. 

I ran a finger across my lips, smudging my makeup. 

I bet this little look will really upset him. 

I smiled wider. “Damian, I have a little present for you. Don’t you remember when we met?” 

I remembered. It was at a science fair, and I’d wanted nothing more than to impress him. The popular boy with the miraculous ability to turn his body to metal at will. I’d found him fascinating, dazzling even. 

I’d made a special device for him in mind, that allowed his body to be flexible even in his metal state, when before, he’d be stuck in whatever pose he made. It was a large conjunction of flesh-colored wires that were designed to blend right in with his skin. They fit around his entire body, like an exoskeleton of sorts. 

My wires were what’d transformed him into the public’s hero. They’d given him the ability to be as hard as metal, but as lithe as a ballerina.

 I’d had no idea that day when he’d tried on my invention with a wide smile and a charming grin. When his eyes shone as he thanked me, and insisted on getting my number. I’d imagined a future for us in that moment, us fighting crime side-by-side; him with his powers and me with my gear. 

I’d felt my heart grow wings, though over the years, those wings would be clipped and torn to shreds. 

He’d convinced me for so long that I was worthless without him, that I was lucky that he’d even noticed me all those years ago. Somehow, I’d lost sight of the fact that I was the one who’d given him his true power, that I’d helped create Iron Fist, both the public hero, and the man who took out his frustrations on the person who loved him the most. 

I had know way of knowing the villain I’d just created. My own personal villain. 

“I loved you so much, Damian. That’s why I made your gear for you all those years ago, back when we were in high school. You never told anyone your quiet little wife is the one who makes all of your special gadgets for you. Your capture nets, your night vision goggles, and every upgrade to your exoskeleton.” 

Iron Fist, the self-made hero. Yeah, right. It was a miracle anyone had believed it considering Damian’s lackluster grades in school, but a dazzling smile gets you a long way, doesn’t it? 

He’d convinced me I was powerless for so long. 

I held out the small device in my hands. “Damian, I think you know that you’d be lost without me. You rely on me… and that terrifies you, doesn’t it? You had to assert control every chance you got. I let you use me as your punching bag, your personal inventor, for years. I stayed up for countless nights helping you… but this… this only took me a month.” 

I giggled. “It took years for you to gain traction as a professional hero, with fans to spare… but it’ll only take about five seconds for your career to fall apart. I made you who you are, Damian, and I can take you apart just as easily.” 

I imagine, at this point, he’ll turn himself into metal, and charge at me. I stand tall. It wouldn’t be the first time, but I could at least have confidence it’d be the last. 

I mimic pressing the button. I don’t, of course. I want to see it happen for myself, and I want to see the expression on his face. Doing it remotely just wouldn’t be as fun. 

“My gear is always perfect, Damian. This time is no exception.” 

I smile widely. “Good riddance.” 

I imagine him crying, begging, even writhing in agony, though I know my imagination won’t be able to do justice to the real thing. 

I place the small device back in my pocket. My gear is indeed perfect, and Damian knew that. Hence why he relied on it. He’d suspected nothing when I’d told him I could upgrade his exoskeleton. He didn’t think I had any tricks up my sleeve, that I was capable of resisting him. 

I’d merely taken some data from the wires. I had measurements implemented in them to help keep his metal skin cool. This time, however, I would be doing the opposite. This little device was linked to heaters I’d placed alongside the wires, just small enough to be undetected. 

2500 degrees fahrenheit would blast from each little heater, melting my metal husband into nothing but a pile of goo. 

I’d imagined the hands that’d struck me over the years being melted to nothing in seconds, his wide smile-or would it be his angry glower, that only I’d ever seen-literally slipping from his face as he howled in agony, and he’d be nothing. 

He’d be a head, perpetually in pain. I suppose it’s a fair trade. 

The watch on my wrist went off, signaling that Damian was going to be making his way home soon. I smiled into the mirror, giddy with anticipation, and left to wait by the front door.

I can’t wait for our own little game of hero and villain, Damian. It’s going to be just the two of us… and it’s my turn to take down a villain.  

December 08, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.