3 comments

Drama Kids Teens & Young Adult

Dear Mister President Daddy,

Mummy pointed you out on the TV yesterday. I’d been asking forever to meet my dad! I said “nice to meet you”, but now I’m sending it so you can hear it too. Mummy says you can't come to my birthday party, ‘cos you’re very busy, solving all the problems. She says I should be lucky I don't have any problems, but I wish I did so you could come to my party.

Love you, Daddy,

Dear Mr. Senator Daddy,

Mummy says you’re not President, but a Senator. I’m sorry I called you President. I think you didn’t answer before ‘cause you didn’t know I was talking to you. That happened to Nic yesterday at school when I was calling her. Then, when I yelled “Nicole” she said she didn’t know I meant her. So, now you also know I meant you, Daddy. Also, this year I got a problem for my birthday. Mummy says all my problems are in my head, but I’m thinking if I can get one outside by next month, you’ll have to come to my birthday party to solve my problem.

Love you, Daddy,

Dear Mr. Senator Sir,

I’m sorry I haven’t written to you in a while. Mama was really upset after my last letter, because I ended up in the hospital with a head trauma. I wanted to get some problems out of my head, but only blood came out. Mama keeps the scissors locked away now. She says I shouldn’t tell everyone you’re my dad, but I do. The kids at school don’t believe me either, but they will one day.

Last week Miss Maureen, my English teacher, taught us how to write and mail a letter, so now I can write to you as many times as I like.

I now understand that you can’t come to my birthday party because you have all those important meetings with very important people. I understand that you’re working so all the children can have a better life.

Yours truly,

Dear Mr. Senator,

Mom said I should stop all these nonsense letters. She’s the best mum in the world, but I have the feeling she doesn’t like you as much as I do. She says you’ve never replied and never will. She also said I should grow up and be a man, and so this year, I’m organizing my own birthday party. I printed some invites and passed them around at school, but they all got thrown in the trash. No one believes you’re my dad. I know you have all those important meetings, so you can’t attend my birthday party, but if you could just send me a reply, I could show it to all the kids at school and maybe that way they’d want to come to my party.

Yours truly,

Hi, Dad,

It’s been a while, right? Well, 20 years in fact since anyone had any news from you, but who’s counting?… I don’t know how much you’ve kept up with real life, but the economy’s a mess. My mom is the greatest woman in the world and raised me all by herself, but doesn’t have the money to pay for my college. So, the only way I’m studying Business Administration is if someone else pays for it. Don’t worry, I’m not asking you for the money. I applied for a scholarship, but they ask for references and my mate Pete says a letter from you could really make a difference. To be honest, I’d given up on you but, well, what have I got to lose? You don’t have to say I’m your son, just send a letter saying I’d be a good choice for Newcardtown Business School. Who knows, maybe I’ll end up working for the government too!

Cheers,

Dear Father,

I thought I’d never write to you again, but Nieves – my fiancée – has been insisting for the last six months that people change. So, I’m writing to you once again. I’m getting married on September 6th in the Baptist Church of Oldcardtown, and Nieves and I want to invite you to the ceremony. You don’t need to bring a gift. We’re still living in mom’s house and there’s no room for more stuff. I’m unemployed and Nieves's salary at the supermarket is not enough for the bank to lend us money for a new house. I guess you don’t care about me or my problems, but there you have it. That’s how things are.

Sincerely,

Dear Mr. Wellington,

I’m writing to inform you that my mother died last night, at home. I was the only one with her, as Nieves had to work the night shift.

I have nothing else to say to you.

Goodbye,

Dear Father,

I’ve hired a lawyer. He’ll be writing to you soon. This letter is just to remind you that every father has legal obligations. I know. You never contributed to my upbringing. I now have two children, and Katy, my wife, has made a very strong point that you, being such a rich man, should help me pay for child support for my first kid. A politician like you should rise to your responsibilities and lead by example. If I have responsabilities as a father, so did you. My attorney explained to me that I need to send you a letter asking for what you owe me. This is it. I have to pay $250 a month, so I guess you could pay a hundred times that. You’ll be hearing from my lawyer.

Sincerely,

Dear Mr. Governor,

I must have started this letter thousands of times. For every single one of them, I was able to stop and find someone else I could ask for help from instead of you. I’ve written to all the Senators (some even retired), the Chiefs of Staff, Secretaries, and all other Governors. I wrote to the media – the cable channels, the radio, the newspapers. I’m sure there isn’t a single media outlet in this country without at least three of my letters. Probably more. I wrote letters to all the actors, singers and writers. All the addresses I found in the last five years had a letter sent to them. And if I couldn’t find an address, I asked for the letters to be forwarded. I wrote to the anchors and the weather people. I wrote to the Pope. I recently realized that I was only missing Santa Claus and you. And God made it so that at this moment you’re the only one who can help me. You’re the Governor, now. So, here we are.

Since I last wrote to you, much has happened. I won’t bore you with all the details. Mr. Mulligan, my previous lawyer, hired a private detective to find all the proof necessary for my paternity process. Then he called me and told me he’d found my biological father, who was not you. I was stunned. I didn’t believe him, in fact. He set up a meeting and introduced me to this bald old man, with a flag tattooed on his forearm. They started talking and that wrinkled man in a sleeveless t-shirt wouldn’t stop staring at me. Finally, they shut up and the old man started talking to me. He said he didn’t know my mom. Then he insinuated he might have engaged the services of some prostitutes as a young man. He just wouldn’t stop talking, drooling, and chewing that disgusting bit of white saliva in the corner of his mouth. Stuttering, slowly and carelessly insulting my mom.

Suddenly, I had a heavy Bar Association award in my hand, and the old man's head was split open, pouring out blood. It all happened too fast. Mr. Mulligan was as surprised as me.

As you might have already guessed, I’m writing you from death row, pleading for my life. My execution is scheduled for next Thursday. I know I killed a man and assume my guilt. But I wasn’t myself, having just received the news that you, the only man I ever knew as a father, was not in fact my father. And listening to those malicious accusations about the woman who single-handedly raised me. I don’t know why she made up that story about you. Maybe you were just on the TV at the wrong time. But it was just too much, and I snapped.

I truly regret my actions and I can only ask for God’s forgiveness.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you could find the time to read my letter. With the deepest respect, I humbly request that you grant me clemency, since the Governor is the only one who can do that.

Sincerely,

Dear Mr. Falconer,

I trust this letter finds you well. I would like to extend my appreciation for your letter, which I have received and carefully considered.

I am sorry to inform you that after a thorough review of your case, I have arrived at the conclusion that it is not possible for me to grant clemency in this instance.

I recognize the gravity of your situation and the challenges you are currently facing. I hope that you can find some solace and resolve during this trying period. I personally commend you for finally abandoning the absurd idea that I am your father. Such introspection reflects an admirable commitment to personal growth and the pursuit of truth.

I wish you the best as you continue your journey.

Respectfully,

[Governor Ben Hawksworth]

Dear Governor Hawksworth,

I cannot live with this guilt anymore. When you contacted me to convince Ben Falconer that he was not your son, I did it for the greater good, even risking being disbarred. I have always been a proud Party member, and I believed you were the right person for the Governor's office. I believed I was doing the best for our great State. I could never have anticipated what would happen next. I will never forget the look on your son’s face! And then that vicious murder right in front of my eyes. As if that was not enough, I just found out that you will be denying a pardon to your own son. You know the truth. How can you sleep at night? Well, I can’t! I can’t even look my wife and sons in the eye anymore! You have until the execution date to recant and avoid the death of your son. Otherwise I will go public with all that I know. Contrary to what you may think, I do have proof of what I’m saying. I always keep some insurance, even when dealing with fellow Party members.

I trust that you will do the right thing.

Sincerely,

[David Mulligan]

Dear Mrs. Mulligan and Sons,

I extend my deepest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.

David was not only a dedicated member of our party, and an admirable lawyer, but mostly a dear friend and colleague. His commitment was unwavering, and his contributions have left an indelible mark on our community. David's dedication and spirit will continue to inspire us all.

I want to assure you that we will employ every resource from the Governor’s Office to bring the individuals responsible for his heinous assassination to justice. Our state's law enforcement agencies are dedicated to conducting a thorough and exhaustive investigation, leaving no stone unturned in their pursuit of the persons responsible for this tragic event. Justice will never be served until they are apprehended and held accountable.

I understand that no words can ease the pain you are experiencing, but I hope that you find some solace in the memories you shared and the legacy he leaves behind.

Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sincerely,

[Governor Ben Hawksworth]

August 25, 2023 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Marina Pacheco
11:05 Sep 14, 2023

Wow! What an unexpected ending.

Reply

Fernando César
19:23 Sep 14, 2023

Really? I thought this is quite linear when I wrote it 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:59 Sep 06, 2023

https://exampledomain.com/?u=XXXXX&o=YYYYY please come in I beg you

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.