5 comments

Christian Contemporary Romance

Two am, it was Lord Bow Wow again. Sighing, the senior nurse on night duty in the Urology Unit answered the buzzer. Sally's feet were aching, it was a busy evening. Still, she smiled as always, fully competent and proficient in all her nursing obligations.

Fate had seen Sassy Sally divorce her husband's roving eye and abuse some years before. She had long ago decided he did enjoy being miserable, so she had brought their two offspring up on struggle street. Her children were all grown up now, off to their own careers and futures. She was never that nostalgic about the past.

She still lived barely getting by, even working double shifts as the senior nurse. Her hair held blonde highlights to hide the silver strands of grey, but her hairdresser kept her secrets wisely. Sassy Sally was still rated as quite attractive, known to make beautiful cups of tea, like most nurses.

She entered Lord Bow Wow's private room, and patted his hand. The poor billionaire was in bed, and had his prostate surgery completed. His robotic surgeon had been good and strong, his masculinity was having a tender moment in his weiner department.

Moaning, Lord Bow Wow gasped, "Nurse, I am dying. I have been dreaming of you, an angel in this long night. Marry me, you shall be my queen, and you can make me all the lovely hot cups of tea I need...." Sassy Sally, unperturbed, had heard all this before. It was after all, a male urology unit. She patted Lord Bow Wow's hand, kindly, empathetic, of course, then checked his bowels.

Sassy Sally knew how to handle herself, great professionalism evident. She did produce the errant Lord Bow Wow a cup of tea, rearranged his pillows, and headed back to the nurses' station. Not even worth a gossip.

The next evening, a giant bouquet of red roses awaited her at work. The extravagant romantic gesture was duly noted by all staff, checking male bowels was their scene.

Sassy Sally was not fussed. She was well aware of Lord Bow Wow's philandering reputation, and wondered about his latest wife's opinion, given the state of his attachment.

Lord Bow Wow summoned her again, in those dark, subdued, midnight hours. Sassy Sally brought him her favorite brew of tea, and listened to his pleas. Should she be tempted to marry a billionaire, who was still quite an attractive mature age man? Maybe she could retire, finally, and take up yoga and explore peaceful zen with Lord Bow Wow.

Sassy Sally sat at her nurse's station, wondering how the other half lived, in total luxury, never wondering how to sort the power bill, or the cost of living. Still, she could let all his bygones by bygones, and enjoy being spoiled as a queen for once.

"Probably just his fever," she told herself realistically. She had been brought up not to mess around with married men, so she never did. Her family's sound Christian work ethic kept her centered. She told Lord Bow Wow the big "NO!" word, and he was discharged as soon as possible, after his bowels and urology were all clear.

The massive floral display soon wilted and was turfed into the waste disposal, but Sassy Sally kept the card. All part of her schedule, men! She always made sure she kept her Wednesday afternoons free. For this time, she made a space in her busy struggles to join in putting peace into practice. Her local community did contain many residents down on their luck, facing bleak times. Once per week, Sassy Sally went to her local community kitchen and cooked up a storm. It was a challenge, but the volunteers used donated ingredients, some slightly past their use by dates, to create some hot nutritious meals.

After the vats of cooking were done, Sassy Sally sat down and shared the journey of other people. She kept on smiling, and tried not to label anyone's choices. All she could do was keep her faith, that things would get better for everyone. Her faith meant that she believed in power for the peaceful, she stayed calm and serene, barring all emergencies at work, for which she was well experienced.

But one Wednesday, entering the Community Kitchen, she found in her coat locker, a note. On it was a drawing of a cup of coffee, a flower sticker, and the words, "Dreaming of a date, your admirer from afar, Robert." Sassy Sally glanced around, no, it couldn't be him. She had met this Robert, a man around her own age, another volunteer here. He had a good reputation, and was affable and very witty, full of good cheer.

Sassy Sally did nothing, but went about her Wednesday routine. Men! She did wonder if he was married too. "Dreaming of you!" Ha! She held her secret smile, but Robert did ask her to meet him for a cup of coffee the next day.

Surprisingly, he was not married. The two interested parties there shared some of their baggage. Robert found that Sassy Sally was very empathetic. Soon, she was sharing some biology expertise with him. He was a rare, but very romantic dreamer. He booked the newly found couple a getaway to that magic world of Bali, no expenses spared.

Robert too, was a Christian. He could not really believe this thunderbolt had struck him, but he enjoyed seeing the sunset on a golden shore, as sparkling waves washed the sands, all the signs of love.

The cocktails were almost divine, the air was hot, muggy, there were smiles all round, as lovers enjoyed their holiday of romance. Sassy Sally was all Robert had been dreaming of, so he was now planning to propose. Swizzles sticks were swirled, drinks appreciated. It was a date night done right, all right.

Sassy Sally did receive a post card when she got home. Not Lord Bow Wow again! Yes, he still fancied his night nurse, after glimpsing her in Bali. Men! Sassy Sally let all those bygones be bygones, especially after her nuptials with Robert. Love the second time around, zen moments of bliss, for a nursing miss. She always kept Robert's first note, she could make lovely coffees too.

Sharing their journey, she did keep on nursing, but reduced her hours, so she no longer worked in those sensitive long evenings. Her smiles bloomed, she always stuck to her upbringing, still peaceful and kind. Lord Bow Wow's wrinkly wife gave him her opinion, wiped down the bed, and got another one. That's what billionaires do.

Who was dreaming of you? Sassy Sally, of course, with that sparkle of true love.But still checking their bowels, professionally. Of course!

February 05, 2024 18:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

John Jenkins
23:34 Feb 15, 2024

Overall: This was a very fun story. Not to serious, but it had a real message. Beginning: In the beginning, Sassy Sally is a nurse working at the local hospital, in the urology department. It's hard to believe that there are entire wings at hospitals dedicated to urinating and pouping. Anyway, it starts off talking about Lord Bow Wow. As an American across the pond, I found this more entertaining than you would naturally think. Especially having grown up in the nineties inner city. Middle: Well, LBW was married, but she gets another message ...

Reply

Judith Jerdé
17:47 Feb 21, 2024

Yep, there are entire wings dedicated to one specialty care. They’re becoming more prevalent. I worked at the VA for many years and that’s how it set up now lab work and everything done in the same clinic. We have a whole new wing dedicated to traumatic brain injury. Times, they are changin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
08:35 Feb 12, 2024

Such a fun read. Sally was adorable!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
21:57 Feb 11, 2024

Nice story with a likeable MC. I was very happy for her as the story progressed. Great job. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
19:29 Feb 05, 2024

Quite sassy!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.