19 comments

Fiction

The summons comes at midnight.


"He demands your presence, Milady." With the door between us, Cedrik's voice is muffled.


"I will wait for my maid to bring my clothes. Tell him I will be there when I am properly attired."


"Forgive me, Milady. He said for you to come at once."


"Surely, he doesn't expect me to leave my chamber in my night clothes!" I protest.


"I apologize, Milady. I have orders to drag you there, if need be." I hear the distaste in his voice. Until two days ago, he had been one my guards, showing featly to me, taking orders from me.


^#^#^


The Devil had come three days ago. Requesting shelter for the night. My sisters and I had shown him generous hospitality. Quarter and nourishment for him and his men, the use of our stables for their mounts. We've never had excess but have been able to support ourselves, maintain the land and those who tend it. It had always been our practice to share with those in need. He had been charming, a gentleman and praised my sisters' talents when they entertained him with music and song.


However, when we woke the next morning, the three of us learned that our guards had been locked in the guard house and that his men were now patrolling my castle, our home. Without being given the courtesy to let us dress, we had been escorted to the Great Hall. Here we were made to stand before him, as if we were mere servants, while he lounged in our late father's chair.


"I am master of these lands now." He had announced.


"Is this how you repay our hospitality, sir? You spit at generosity. You overpower where you perceive weakness. You plunder where you imagine riches. And when you are sorely disappointed or have taken what little there is, you leave ashes, death and despair in your wake. Is that who you are?" I had railed.


He had regarded me impassively and waited till my tirade had run its course.


"Yes." Then he stood and walked toward us. Slowly he circled my sisters, then pushed them aside and told his men to lock both in the north tower.


After they were taken away, and we could no longer hear their cries, after his guard had released his hold on me to prevent me from following them, it had been just him and me. He stopped so close to me that I had no choce but to tilt my head back to face him, allowing him the advantage. But stepping back would have equally played into his hand.


"Your sisters are safe. For now. Whether they stay safe us up to you." He proceeded to gleefully educate me on my current predicament and gave me two choices, making sure I understood the consequences of either decision.


"I'll be generous. You have two days to consider your answer."


Without another look at me, he ordered his men to escort me to the south tower. The top chambers in the towers are rarely used and have few amenities. For two days I had had nothing to do. Nothing but worry about my sisters' welfare and rail against the inequity of the situation in which I found myself.


#^#^#


Cedrik ushers me down the spiral stairs in the south tower. Through the Great Hall, where a few half-drunk, idle guards ogle me and sneer. Up the central staircase.


My apologies, Milady." Cedrik whispers once we have crossed the Great Hall.


"I do not blame you." I assure him. "It was I who put everyone in danger by inviting the Devil to enter our home. I apologize to you and the rest of my people."


The half-light from the few torches along the wall, adds to my sense of unease. The long, drafty hallway, normally so familiar to me, feels menacing. My gown and robe are not adequate to keep me warm. My thin slippers slap against the cold stone floor.

We stop at the library door. I do not give Cedrik time to knock but open the door and enter unbidden. This room, my father's study, and more recently my place or work, with the large hearth and its welcoming fire, the two tall wingback chairs, the large desk, which is at present carelessly strewn with the estate's books and ledgers, has always been my sanctuary. Until now.


The heat in the room contrasts sharply with the bone-chilling cold of the south tower. I tense my muscles in an effort to keep from shivering. Suppressing my fear, I choose to vent my anger.


"What could not possibly wait till the morning?" I rail."


"Ah, yes. Do enter." Do I hear amusement in his voice? Is he mocking me?

I stop near the fire. In one of the two chairs, his tall solidly built physique sprawls, legs stretched toward the fire. His black hair, smoothed back from a high forehead, showing a widow's peak, is secured at the nape with a narrow ribbon. Black eyes assess me cooly. He's dressed in a black coat over a white blouse. Black doeskin pants are tucked into tall black boots.


"Do you approve?" There is both humor and sarcasm in his voice.


I shrug. "I am led to believe that my opinion is neither requested no required."


A chuckle rumbles in his chest. "Astutely surmised." He hands me his empty glass and nods toward the sideboard that holds the brandy decanter. "Pour yourself a finger as well." He is so very generous with my possessions.


When I hand him his replenished glass, he nods toward the opposite chair. I perch on the edge of the seat.


"You have had ample time to reflect on your choices. What is your answer?" he asks casually and takes a sip of his brandy.


"Do I have a choice then?" I take a sip and let the brandy warm me.


"Of course. Though all choices have consequences. I thought I had made myself clear. But perhaps you are dimmer than I calculated." His chuckle holds no mirth. "Do I need to repeat myself?" He holds up one finger, silencing me. "Before you answer that question, let me warn you that the odds will change in my favor each time I do." He taunts.


I pause, stall. Though I have known that I really do not have a choice. Declining may mean banishment, imprisonment or even death. I can't protect my sisters if I am not here. Though I shudder at the though of what accepting will mean.


"Come now! You have had nearly forty-eight hours to contemplate your future, It's either yea or nay. Even a woman can make that decision." he sneers.


I throw back the rest of the brandy and stand. "You do not have a high opinion of women in general. And obviously think even less of me, sir. So, why the bargain?"


"Yous is not to question, Milady." He spits the honorific with contempt. "Yours is to answer."


I sigh. "Yes, I accept."


"Very well. You may go."


When I pass by his chair his hand snakes out and grabs my wrist. I freeze, stifle a gasp. Other than my father, no man has ever touched me. He tugs on my wrist till I look at him.


"I may be the Devil, but I always keep my end of a bargain, make sure you do the same." I wonder if that threat is supposed to reassure me. A shudder, a chill runs down my spine as I flee the room.


February 22, 2024 22:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Levi Vela
19:04 Feb 29, 2024

Hey Trudy! I found this to be a very creative response to the prompt. I loved the setting and fantasy. The overarching theme of actions and consequences resonated with me because it’s so applicable to real life experiences. A really enjoyable read overall.

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:26 Feb 29, 2024

Ah, yes. You've had a boss like that? :-) Than ks for the feedback, Levi. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
22:32 Feb 28, 2024

Good work! The devil and the spirited woman who is facing his choices, which are not really choices. Good sensory details to draw the reader into the story. The pace moves briskly and there is a well-developed plot in the brevity of this short story. The descriptive imagery helps the reader picture how the characters look. Well done!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:36 Feb 28, 2024

Thank you, Kristy. Appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
17:48 Feb 24, 2024

Hi Trudy, What I love about this is the choice is not really defined is it? The assumption is the MC must give herself to the devil motivated by protecting her sisters, but is that really the choice? Are all choices the choice between evils? This leads to the religious tenant based on 'choice' possibly based on choosing between doing right and wrong; a good overlay to the theme. I also liked the descriptive lines, as example, 'solidly built physique sprawls, legs stretched toward the fire.' Your use of the word 'sprawls' (ungainly or care...

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:55 Feb 24, 2024

Hey, Jack. Thanks for your words of praise. No, we don't really know what he wants. Heck, maybe he needs her to do the bookkeeping. LOL but somehow nobody is going to believe that, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:43 Feb 23, 2024

Very atmospheric read. It's fascinating reading how different writers handle the devil. This was a great read, chilling at times. Awesome work. Thanks for sharing. Possible typo: "Even a woman can male the decision." he sneers." Woman = make? I know you were playing with his dialect

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:30 Feb 23, 2024

Thank you for the wonderful feedback, Tom. And thanks for the heads up on the typo. Consider it corrected.

Reply

Tom Skye
17:35 Feb 23, 2024

You're welcome. It was awesome. Ironically, I just read my comment back and it was riddled with typos 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:37 Feb 23, 2024

Good thing I'm a creative reader. LOL

Reply

Tom Skye
18:24 Feb 23, 2024

Consider it corrected :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:48 Feb 23, 2024

You have an excuse: The Devil made me do it.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:53 Feb 23, 2024

There you go! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
23:45 Feb 22, 2024

Oooh, chilling one, Trudy ! Great job on the prompt. I love how you built the tension. Great work on detail too. Great job !

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:06 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks, Stella. every once in a while, a girl needs a little goth, right? And now and then playing with a Devil, or at least an imp, spices things up. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.R. Simon
23:35 Feb 22, 2024

Well written, good job, Devil's story are always fun to read. Very nice !!

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:40 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you, Martin. Just felt like going a bit darker. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
23:22 Feb 22, 2024

Well done, Trudy. I wanted to do this prompt but couldn't wrap my mind around it. I applaud you.

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:24 Feb 22, 2024

Thank you, Ty. I take all the applause I can get. :-) And what's one more devil between friends.? :-0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.