1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Friendship Inspirational

Author's Note: This story is based on the true story of my fluffy little brother. Due to time constrains (college is hard) and the new style I attempted, this definitely isn't even close to the quality of my usual writing. I attempted to write this in a sort of diary entry-inspired format, with key moments that I find especially special from my life with him.

I remember people walking by in the bustling city streets. Some would look at me, some would give me a little food, but most just walked by. Until someone came up to me, kneeled down, and put their hand on my head. I couldn’t control my tail wagging. I went to lick their face, but they backed away a little. They stood up and my tail slowed down. 

Were they also going to walk away?

No. Instead, they replaced the chain holding me to the rusted fence with a leash held by their hand, and took me away in their car. This new feeling of calm and hope given to me by the movement of the car lulled me. 

To my disappointment, the ride was over within a few minutes. I opened my eyes, hearing the opening and closing of car doors. They walked me into a building full of echoing barking. 

Within a few minutes, I was put in a cage and left by the person who took me. Again, I felt trapped.

After a little while, I was taken out of a cage and brought to a sort of shower. The rain of warmth soaked my fur, revealing a messy and rough black coat. The brown fur that I was covered in dripped off of me and washed down the drain. The scrubbing felt nice, but something was looming over me. I was scared.

Time ticked away in a cage. Again, I was trapped. No family, like I saw with other dogs walking down the sidewalk. Just the loud yelling of other dogs around me, all begging for the same thing.

But one day, someone came to get me.

“Phew, just in time,” they said as I was led out of the cage with a leash.

“Yeah. Just an hour before he was set to be put down,” the other person said.

After a few weeks, the person who saved me let another person take me away. He talked to me gently, in a way that was new.

The car ride to my new life was long and soothing.

At a house in the snow, I was greeted by three other dogs and a woman. And later in the day, I met two other girls. One older, one younger. The love I received was endless.

My new family.

My forever home.

Over the years, I gave love back to them.

I would often sleep on the youngest daughter, Emily's, bed with her after she scared herself with scary stories. She was scared to be alone, so I stayed with her until she fell asleep. Even when her bed was moved to her parents room when she was scared to be alone with herself, I stayed with her. I think my snoring kept her awake, though. But she didn’t mind, the hugs and kisses I got during the night made that clear to me.

I loved my dog siblings. I feel that, at first, they weren’t exactly too fond of me. Shannon often laid in front of the crate when I was in it, pretty much locking me in. Merlin wouldn’t always play with me and instead would snap at me. And Sassy…she was just scary sometimes! I would put my bone down next to her and she would snarl while I barked for her to play with it with me. Still, we all got along, played, and loved each other.

These are only two examples of the hundreds of moments I have shared with my family. As Emily sped me to pick up our dad so he could drive me to the vet, I reflected on these moments. Emily looked back at me every time she heard my pained breathing. Despite this, I was happy to have one last car ride.

At the vet, they couldn’t find anything wrong, so we had to go to another. I don’t know if I was scared because I knew what was wrong, or because I didn’t want to leave my family. I feel that it was both.

I hesitated before walking into the examination room, and Emily took notice. She put her hand on my back and told me, “It’ll be okay, I won’t leave you.”

She walked with me into the room and smiled at me with worry.

Despite being asleep, I could hear everything clearly. The sobs and words of regret and guilt from my older sister was painful to hear, but I could feel the kisses on my nose that she always gave me. I was unable to wag my tail or give a kiss in response. Her cries and our dads kind words started to fade from my ears.

Despite the upsetting departure, I was grateful. My loving family that turned my one more hour of life into ten kind and playful years.

My fluffy siblings that had passed on before me greeted me at a rainbow. And as per usual, I wagged my tail and sniffed them to say hello, and they did the same.

Author's Note cont: Modoc's story went viral in Newfoundland Rescue Groups on Facebook for his inspiring journey.

His death hit me hard, as it was extremely sudden. We noticed he was breathing weirdly, and within a day it got to the point where it was obvious this was more than just something possibly stuck in his throat. His usual loving and playful nature had quickly disappeared. This is what worried us the most.

The next day we brought him into the vet, and found out he had a cancerous tumor in his throat that was impossible to remove. The only choice was to put him down.

He was an extremely special dog and is a reminder as to why rescuing dogs is worth every effort.

If you would like to know more about his story, let me know, I would love to share it.

March 29, 2024 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
16:58 Apr 02, 2024

Dogs need a longer expiration date. Their lives are far too short. Every dog I have ever had has been a rescue. They are the best. Thanks for sharing,

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.