0 comments

Mystery

“World renowned soccer star, Mario Ghirardelli does it again! I’ve never seen anything like it, this guys is an animal! Ghirardelli is an unstoppable machine, everyone.” The TV blared

               “Turn that blasted television off and stop sulking around! Why don’t you get up and try to do something today?” Mia commanded.

               “Basta!” He shouted back, trying to focus on the soccer game.

               “Don’t you basta me, mister!” Mia scolded before getting up and pulling the cord that powered the TV.

               “Come on!” He protested. Getting up, the former soccer player, Mario Ghirardelli, limped over to the kitchen table.

               Mia put a hand on her husband’s shoulder. “I made dinner, homemade pizza, your favorite.” Mia told him, her tone had softened, and she brushed her hand farther down Mario’s arm, grabbing his hand. “You know you don’t have to be some kinda famous super star, right? You’re still a superstar in my eyes no matter what. “

               Mario didn’t speak but clasped her hand tightly in his. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw the flashing lights of the cameras all around him and every time he took a shower the sound of the water splashing against the ground would slowly change into the sound of a cheering crowd. Mia sighed before pulling away from him, she made his plate and set it in front of him.

               “I was thinking about…going to the grocery store today. I think that maybe it would be a good idea for me to get out of the house for a while ya know.” Mario suggested.

               “Oh, of course. Are you sure that you don’t want me to…” Mia started.

               “No, I’ll be fine on my own.” Mario decided, he’d expected her to say something like that.

               He stumbled out the door and got into the car. He kept driving and then he got to the grocery store. Instead of stopping he kept going until he arrived at the park. Slowly getting out of the car he hobbled over to the soccer field, cane in hand. Mario smiled when he saw the soccer ball that was in the center of the field. He quickened his pace to get there and then readied himself in a kicking position. He was going to attempt his famous half field shot. He took one step, raising the other foot to kick and then noticed the girl who was standing directly in front of the goal.

               Mario Swerved his entire body to avoid hitting her with the ball and ended up falling on the ground with a thud. He cried out and pain and laid there for a few more minutes. When he finally started to sit back up, he looked around for the girl but she was gone. Feeling completely and utterly defeated, Mario got back into the car and drove silently back to the house. No radio, just him and his thoughts.

               As soon as he walked into the house he caught the smell of the cupcakes being baked in the kitchen. Mia smiled when he walked in, “How was the trip?” Her smile faded when she realized he was empty handed, “Where are all the groceries?”

               “Um, the store was closed.” Mario lied.

               Mia eyed him suspiciously, “well, why don’t you go let out the dog now that you’re here.”’

               Mario huffed and puffed but he lumbered over to the cage in his backyard and released the golden retriever into the house. “Come here Boh, let’s get something to eat.” Mario coaxed. He scratched the dog under his chin and then sat on the floor with him. Boh was so carefree all the time, sometimes Mario longed for that feeling.

               The moment of thought was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing. “Can you get it, I’m frosting the cupcakes.” Mia called. It was hard to hear her over the sound of the dog barking in Mario’s ear but he managed to get himself to the door and answer it.

               “Would you like to buy some cookies?” The girl asked him. She was probably around twenty years old.

               “A-Aren’t the girl from the soccer field.” Mario asked her.

               “Beg your pardon?” She responded politely.

               “Nevermind, we’re not interested, sorry.” Mario explained.

               The girl frowned a little bit but she looked at Mario in a way that he had seen before but couldn’t quite remember where from.

               Mario shut the door and then went back into the kitchen. “Who was that?” Mia asked, handing him a cupcake.

               “Just some girl selling cookies.” Mario replied before shoving the sugary treat into his mouth.

               “Babe, I feel like your hiding something from me. I know that you took everything pretty hard. The accident, there’s nothing you could’ve done.” His wife admitted.

               “Save it, I don’t need your sympathy!” Mario snapped. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed some movement out the window. Someone was walking around to the back yard.

               “Fine then I won’t give it to you.” Mia cried.

               “Wait…” He started.

               “No! No more sympathy from me!” Mia yelled before throwing a cupcake at his face and then storming off.

               Mario looked at her and then at the back door, he moved towards the door as quickly as he could and then looked around outside. Boh followed him and sniffed the ground, looking for whatever it was that was worrying his master. Mario staggered back into the house and collapsed onto the couch, he figured that he wouldn’t be able to sleep in the bed tonight but he’d apologize in the morning.

               That night, he was suddenly awoken by a knocking at the door. He groggily wandered over to open it and it was that same girl.

               “Would you like to buy some cookies?” She asked with a smile.

               “Please leave!” Mario demanded.

               “Of course, anything for the great Mario Ghirardelli.” She compromised before flashing a wink and skipping away.

               Mario was so tired that at first he didn’t register the fact that she skipped over to his backyard instead of the street. The more he thought about it the more he worried. He finally got up and slowly opened the back door, using other things for balance as he walked. Boh was in his cage, whining and barking, and Mario decided to let him out.

               “Where is she, boy?” He asked the dog but Boh just sat there wagging his tail as he looked up at Mario.

               The back door slammed shut behind him and the lock clicked. Mario banged on the door but to no avail. Having no cane and nothing to use for balance, Mario got down on his hands and knees and crawled towards the front door. It was locked but the spare key of course, was under the door mat. He steadied himself and managed to unlock the door. He charged inside clumsily, grabbing his cane and Boh followed close behind him. The sound of a gunshot rang in Mario’s ears.

               “Noo!” He shouted before getting to the bedroom and finding the girl standing over his wife with smoking gun in her hand. He dove onto the bed and took his bleeding wife in his arms. “I’m so sorry.” He stuttered. Looking up at the girl he cried “Why?! Why would you do this?!”

               “Because it was meant to be just you and me, Mario. Ever since I saw you on that TV, I wanted you, needed you. I went to one of your games once and I even got to feel your skin in my hand. It felt so right.” The girl explained.

               Suddenly, Mario remembered where he’d seen that look before. She was the girl who reached out from the stands and grabbed his arm, trying to take off his shirt. He managed to pull away from her and security escorted her from the arena, but he hadn’t been able to shake the feeling of just how tight she grabbed him. That look in her eyes, it was truly disturbing.

               “Get out! Get out of my house!” He yelled.

               “Don’t do this to me, you’ll really regret it. Ya see, if I can’t have you, then no one can.” She said pointing her gun at him.

               Mario lunged at her in rage and she shot him in the chest. As Mario lied on the bed bleeding out. He noticed everything around him with a new since of clarity. His wife, who laid beside him now, was the best thing that had ever happened to him. He should’ve been more appreciative. His dog, Boh who now licked at his wound and whined and howled was his most loyal friend. The girl, who knelt down on the bed next to him, sobbing, was truly his biggest fan.


               

April 14, 2020 14:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.