0 comments

Mystery Fiction Suspense

Where I come from, the history of the city lingers in the crevices of a new age metropolis. Buildings that once stood as a landmark of a planned city forged by hope and offering are now demolished to make way for the updated charms of a new hope… tourism. Only pockets left of what once was… a vision of a city by the sea, a west coast vibe sporting east coast style.

It’s weird now to say you live in the same city you grew up as a kid, but there was once a time where that was norm. That’s what you did. I’ve grown up here. I’ve stayed here.. willingly .. unlike many of my childhood friends who couldn’t wait to leave. They’d been talking about where else they’d rather be since 6th grade, but I saw something more than just a place to dwell. I didn’t feel trapped. I saw the richness, the originality and the stories that added character to my hometown.

****

“Welcome to the Hawkwood Bay Historical Society’s first event of the year”

Kathleen Ridgeway’s voice echoed in the room from the mic at the podium. She was the Hawkwood Bay Historical Society president for the last 6 years. Ran every year with no contest. Not the most glamorous job, but this city was a part of her. Her aunt was one of the first residents of the city when it was established back in the 1920’s.

“This afternoon I am pleased to introduce Calvin Hart. He is a long-time historian of this city and has put together a PowerPoint presentation with some fun facts about Hawkwood Bay. And a special thank you to the Shell Lane Library for hosting us today”

The Shell Lane Library was one of the oldest buildings left in the city. It used to be an old schoolhouse until the city did renovations on it a few years back and turned it in to one of the cities three libraries. When you walk in, they have one of the original school desks on display. It was one of my favorite places to spend time growing up. Tourists didn’t make it that far from the beach so it was place of comfort in the heart of the city and even now I spend almost every Sunday afternoon here. Today would be my first lecture as the newest member of the Historical Society.

As they set up the presentation, I trekked over across to the back of the room where the table with snacks was set up. I couldn’t pass up some Keebler Fudge Stripe Shortbread cookies. It was in this moment that I looked up at the front of the room and realized I was the only one in attendance under the age of 50. An elder millennial by birth, but I was certainly not the elder in the audience.

As I walk back to my seat, I can feel the eyes upon me. Everyone thinking: I’m far too young to be here. Do I even know what a historical society is? Will I just be on my phone the whole time? As I sit down, I look to my right and all the fear of speculation comes to light.

“Hi there! Are you here with your grandparents?”

Ruth Torres, who was a lifetime member of the Hawkwood Historical Society and spent her years of retirement spilling tea about people she didn’t have any business spilling tea about.

I brush the hair from my face and let out a slight sigh because I knew this would happen, but then quickly smile, because I knew this would happen.

“No, actually I’m just here by myself. I’ve been really interested in the city’s history after reading one of Calvin’s books.”

“Well, that’s lovely dear. Enjoy! Calvin is such a good presenter too”

****

“Hawkwood Bay founder, Thomas Marshall, traveled here by train from upstate New York. He wanted to create a city that celebrities would flock to…”

Calvin motioned though the slides… mainly photos which were accompanied with stories from his book. Even though I read the book twice already by now, I sat there grasping at every point made about the place I call home. I could just hear my sister now “Delilah, you’re such a nerd”, but I didn’t care. I hastily kept jotting down notes in the blank margins of my copy of his book “The Plan for Hawkwood Bay”. I was a historian in the making you could say.

The final slide showed a photo of the now dilapidated Hawkwood Bay Hotel. It was the place to be back in the day. A seaside wonder that met its demise when founder Thomas Marshall was found dead in his penthouse. No cause of death was ever noted. The mystery spun around the city like a carousel. New generations of teens spreading rumors that the place was haunted and that he was murdered by someone in the mafia. No merit to any of the stories, but it was enough to keep investors at bay and express no interest in trying to renovate the space.

“Unfortunately…” Calvin continued. “… the hotel is set to be demolished a month from today. Real estate developers are planning to put in a new resort and outdoor shopping mall.”

“But the hotel is one of the last buildings left from when the city was founded. If they demolish it, we’ll barely have any of its history left”

All eyes were once again on me as a blurted out to the Early Bird special crowd.

“Yes, and that’s why the Hawkwood Bay Historical Society is starting a petition to save the hotel. If we can gather enough support, maybe we can get a developer to renovate the building to keep the landmark rather than knock it down.”

You could hear the uneasiness in Calvin’s voice. He knew it could be a lost cause, but one that he was going to champion anyway. As the Historical Society’s newest member this just became my cause too. What no one in that room knew at the time was that I had a key in the form of a sassy, sweet tea and soap opera loving great grandmother that knew Thomas Marshall personally and was the last person with him the day he died. 

September 18, 2022 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.