Positive unity

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about community.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Youth activism became an eye opener and gave most of us a sense of responsibility, caring and boosted our self esteem.

Shortly before establishment and launch of Crossroads Youth Association as an apolitical, development vehicle in Old Crossroads in 1996, the area was in a mess. Movement of young people from one section to another was difficult and dangerous, especially if you were not known. This township which is at the outskirts of Cape Town, South Africa was devided into various sections namely Gqobhasi, Unathi, Section 4, Topcor, Bester Homes and Boystown. The saddest part though all of them most of the time are separated or decided by a street: it was extremely difficult for us to visit one another or have relations from outside these borders. Daily young people of these areas were robbing and attacking each other, especially when found outside your area. The painful part was that in almost all these areas one has family or relatives. On seeing our peers resorting and being deeply caught up on crime, gangsterism and trapped by drugs. As there were some of us who had leadership credentials in other areas, as myself and Vuyani in Unathi. The first consultative meeting was arranged amongst ourselves, as to collect, encourage and create a dialogue amongst our peers conserning youth structure formation. To our surprise this idea receive a nod and much needed support beyond even our imagination. On our second meeting that we held in Unathi at white office, all sections were thoroughly represented. That's where we elected interim leadership structure and tasked it with collecting stakeholders views, suggestions and organisations aims as well as objectives. This meeting decided that within a week all young people needs must gather at the community hall and speak with one unitary voice. It became very clear this was a sought after development platform locally. On this third and final gathering Old Crossroads Youth Association was given birth with proper aims and objectives, also in capable leadership hands of none other than Vuyani, Sandile, Nontobeko and Nomathamsanqa to name just few members. From there onwards it became very good and pleasing, also an acceptable norm for a child of one section to make friendship with anyone, without having to think twice. Walking anywhere without your life being in danger as a young man or you needing to look over your shoulders was a worn right. Almost every area had a representation in leadership and this with someone who was well known from the said jurisdiction. This youth co operation brought about a sudden change of fortunes as well as enthusiasm amongst youth. Even regards fundraising initiatives for our structure the general membership took initiative and came up with lot of creative ideas. CROYA as this structure was affectionately known or abbreviated announced her arrival on the scene like a bomb. Our official launch attracted prominent figures like our areas Cllr. Ellese de Pouche, Mr Craig Morkel as well as Mr. Gavin Boise who funded this launch. This new baby on the block made even our parents to respect us their offspring, and gave us blessings in our new endeavours.

From the word go we kept our hands busy around fundraising matters, leadership training also in launching other departments, like culture, sports etc.

Within a short space of time we received invitations from other youth formations in places like Nyanga, Langa and New Crossroads. To do cultural exchanges and be engaged in developmental dialogues and initiatives. The more the work many hands were needed and sought after and sharing information with our peers made them eager to help and avail themselves. Our short time successes are coming up with a beauty contest idea which captured the hearts and minds of young and old alike. Ms Crossroads and Mr Personality became our baby, concept and brand. No more that a township youth apolitical structure receive rave reviews just like ours, even in far places like Gugulethu, this organisation became the much talked about. At the inception of Independent Electoral Commission in 1997, we managed to push for employment of young people, and two candidates were considered, short listed and employed.

Within the mayor's committee CROYA pushed and lobbied for youth centre in our area, although we struggle at the beginning, but in the end our plea was granted. Young people became active agents for change, development and safer communities instead of crime, drugs and gangsterism. On all major change matters anyone knew our standpoint and presence was felt locally. Barely after a month having launched ourselves officially elder citizens approached us regards assistance, and we came into their aid, also Old Crossroads Old Age Home and Dissabled came into existence with funding. This cemented the birth rock of generational cooperation. They in turn assisted us by opening their office unto us as we needed office space. Debates about change and development became robust in Old Crossroads almost daily, also as elder generation was feared and not accustomed in being asked lot of questions, that became a thing of the past. Almost every weekend there was an event hosted by young people whether cultural or sport wise. Local secondandary school like Nelson Mandela High opened it's doors every afternoon from Monday to Friday for Ballroom dance classes. This sporting activity received and was joined by a lot of enthusiasts. Even our cultural dancers travelled in far away places like Langa to conduct some choreography and performances. In moving with speed, tenacity and authority new and powerful information came into our attention daily. This profound information was for the development and total change of our area completely, also classified. When you are young you become fearless in taking risks no matter how dangerous they might sound or appear. Our ideas were always favourable to the certain sector of our society or community, whilst to other were detrimental. Especially old peers as they tried and tested our motives and found them pure, they never wanted nor were prepared to let go of us, rather needed us in their corner always. Instead of Old Crossroads be united completely new cracks started to emerge underground without us being aware unfortunately we ended being caught up in the midst of these divisions. As CROYA was gaining momentum, might and popularity in taking over new grounds on developmental space that didn't sit well with higher echelons, and they sought to curtail her role, influence and popularity.

June 10, 2020 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.