3 comments

Crime Horror Mystery

Pulsating with pain and confusion, Mark gasped for air as he awoke in the damp, dimly lit alley. He picked himself up, his bones creaking under the weight of his body. He had experienced this exact moment countless times before, and yet, he could not remember his life outside this eerie cycle. 

Mark stumbled out of the alley and onto the bustling city streets. The cacophony of cars honking, people chatting, and the distant sirens drowned out his thoughts. He had grown accustomed to the routine of this seemingly infinite loop. In the distance, the iconic clock tower loomed over the city, its hands stuck at 4:23 p.m., a perpetual reminder of his inescapable fate.

As Mark wandered through the city, he overheard snippets of conversations, each one more baffling than the last. They spoke of a serial killer on the loose, and how people were disappearing without a trace. Mark's heart raced, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he had heard these stories before. Yet, as always, he felt compelled to investigate.

He arrived at the crime scene, the yellow tape flapping in the wind. This was the spot where the latest victim had been found, but Mark couldn't help feeling a strange familiarity. He approached a police officer guarding the scene and inquired about the details of the case.

"Another one gone," the officer sighed, his voice laced with exhaustion. "I found her lying there, in a pool of her own blood. Her throat was slit, but we couldn't find a murder weapon. "It's like the killer vanished into thin air."

Mark's stomach churned as the vivid, gruesome details echoed in his ears. The officer continued, "I don't know, man." It feels like we're living in a nightmare. "This cycle of violence just won't stop." 

For a brief moment, the officer's eyes locked with Mark's, and an unsettling chill ran down his spine. "I've seen you around," the officer said, narrowing his gaze. "Do I know you?"

Mark shook his head, his voice trembling. "I don't think so. I just wanted to know what happened."

The officer nodded slowly, never taking his eyes off Mark. "Alright then. Be careful out there, stranger."

As Mark left the crime scene, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched. He felt a darkness engulfing him, and the sense of déjà vu grew stronger. He was determined to break this cycle, to unravel the mystery that had haunted him for what felt like an eternity.

His investigation led him to an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town. The decrepit building stood like a silent sentinel, its rusted metal doors creaking in the wind. Mark hesitated for a moment, but his determination outweighed his fear. He pushed the doors open, revealing a dark, musty interior.

As he stepped inside, a sharp metallic scent assaulted his senses. The air was thick and heavy, suffocating him with each breath. A beam of moonlight cut through the darkness, illuminating a crimson-stained table in the center of the room. A wave of nausea washed over Mark as he examined the table and its gruesome contents.

"What the hell is this place?" he whispered, the horror settling in. On the table lay a collection of knives, each one caked with dried blood. Beside the weapons were photographs of the victims - their faces twisted in terror; their bodies mutilated beyond recognition. It was a sickening shrine to the killer's twisted work.

Mark fought back tears as he sifted through the photographs, each one more horrifying than the last .And then, he found it - a picture of himself, his face contorted in fear, his throat slit open like the others. The shock sent him reeling, his mind struggling to process the macabre revelation.

"No, this can't be," he gasped, dropping the photograph. He began to tremble, his heart pounding in his chest. "How is this possible?"

His thoughts raced as he tried to make sense of the situation. Was he the next victim? Or was he somehow responsible for these atrocities? The room seemed to close in on him, the shadows swallowing him whole.

A sudden noise snapped Mark back to reality. Footsteps echoed through the warehouse, and the sound of whispered voices sent a shiver down his spine. He hid behind a stack of crates, his breath ragged and shallow.

"Find anything?" a raspy voice asked.

"Nothing yet," another replied. "But we know he's been here. We can't let him escape."

Mark's mind raced as he realized the police were closing in. If they discovered the photographs, they would undoubtedly link him to the murders. Desperate, he scanned the room for an escape route, his eyes landing on a narrow, hidden door in the corner.

As the officers drew nearer, Mark seized his opportunity and slipped through the door, wincing as it creaked loudly behind him. He found himself in a dimly lit tunnel, the walls closing in around him. He knew he had to keep moving, to find answers and break free from this nightmare.

The tunnel seemed to go on forever, the darkness enveloping him like a shroud. As he stumbled along, Mark caught glimpses of haunting, surreal scenes - distorted reflections of his past, interspersed with the faces of the victims. The weight of their suffering bore down on him, threatening to crush him under its burden.

Mark's journey led him deeper into the labyrinth, until he reached a massive, iron door. With a trembling hand, he pushed it open, revealing a cavernous chamber. The room was filled with mirrors of all shapes and sizes, each one reflecting a different aspect of Mark's life.

As he stared at the reflections, Mark felt the pieces of the puzzle falling into place. He saw himself committing the heinous crimes, the blood staining his hands, the terror in the eyes of his victims. He was the killer, the one responsible for this endless cycle of death.

The revelation shook him to his core, but Mark knew he could not escape the truth. He had to end this cycle, to break free from the darkness that had consumed him. Determined, he approached the largest mirror in the chamber, his own eyes staring back at him, filled with a blend of fear and resolve.

He reached for the knife in his pocket, the very weapon that had taken so many lives. With a deep breath, Mark plunged the blade into the mirror, shattering the glass into a thousand shards. The room trembled, and for a moment, it seemed as if time itself was breaking apart.

As the dust settled, Mark found himself standing in the alley once again, the familiar pain and confusion washing over him. But something had changed - the clock tower now read 4:24 pm. The cycle had been broken, and he was free at last.

But freedom came at a cost. As Mark looked down at his hands, he saw the blood of his victims, their screams echoing in his mind. The shocking truth would haunt him for the rest of his life - the monster he had been hunting was none other than himself.

The cycle had been broken, but the consequences of his actions could never be undone. Mark was forever trapped in a new cycle, one of guilt and pen

April 02, 2023 07:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jack Kimball
02:07 Apr 05, 2023

Hey Belinda, Well done gripping story. I thought the sentence structure played out well also. If anything, the story needed to slow down, or maybe go present tense with an actual torture. I’m just brainstorming though. Talented piece. Love to read more of what you do. Almost a Silence of the Lambs feel to it. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Russell Mickler
18:34 Apr 04, 2023

Hi Belinda! I really liked the intro, bringing the reader into the loop, and the rising tension mentioning the serial killer, and the elusion to Mark being the killer. The descriptive language setting the scene was great, "sharp metallic scent assaulted his senses," and "... the macabre revelation.", all very fun to read! The story turned surreal with the mirrors - and the character attacking himself, a very interesting twist! A thriller/suspense piece that really speaks to the prompt. Well done - R

Reply

Belinda Ward
14:58 May 23, 2023

thx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.