The Most Silent Night

Submitted into Contest #224 in response to: Write a story about someone pulling an all nighter.... view prompt

18 comments

Creative Nonfiction Christmas

Holly wreaths and red bows swam around in a blurry sea in front of me. I sniffled as a stray tear dropped onto the wrapping paper I had just taped down. I put the gift aside and looked around the room for another to wrap. I could hear the faint sound of my mom’s television in the next room. Late night television held limited options, but I’m pretty sure she wasn’t paying much attention to it anyway. It was 2:03am. Christmas Eve. About six hours since Dad went into the operating room. We hadn’t yet told my sister, out of town with her in-laws. What could she do anyway but worry? She knew he wasn’t feeling well this week, but didn’t know it came to this. 

A trip to the ER, and emergency surgery. 

I heard the sound of feet shuffling down the wooden floor of the hallway. My mom peeked her head in the room. 

“Almost done?” 

I know she meant wrapping the Santa gifts for the kids, but I think she also meant the surgery. Why hadn’t they called yet? It shouldn’t take this long. 

“Yep. Just a few more.” I said with a forced smile. 

“Do you think they’ll call soon? It’s so late. Why is it taking this long?” My mom said as she absently put her hands in her robe pockets. 

“I’m sure everything is fine. They said it was complicated, so it’s probably just taking longer than expected. They’ll call soon.” 

“I’m sure you’re right,” my mom softly said as she made her way back to her room. 

I sat on the bed in my parent’s spare room, and glanced out the window into the darkness. I thought back to Christmases growing up, in a different house and different time. 

***

     Chocolate chip cookies. That’s what sat heavy in my belly as I lay on my back, head under the Christmas tree as it slowly turned around. I was 9, and had spent many an evening like that growing up. Watching the lights move past like shooting stars in slow motion from under the tree. The tree stand had a little motor and each year, our tree spun dizzily in the living room. There was a Christmas record playing in the dining room, and I whisper-sang along to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton dueting “A Christmas to Remember”. I had folded a teeny piece of paper and lodged it next to the power button to keep it on, otherwise it wouldn’t stay pressed in. A trick my dad thought of. Back then, we didn’t buy new things if something went wrong; my dad always found a way to fix them, even if temporarily. 

He had been working that day, came home, and was off again somewhere. Maybe the grocery store? Mom was cleaning in the kitchen, then went upstairs to put away laundry. My sister was on the phone in her room. 

I rolled over to my side and looked at the Nativity that sat under the tree. I traced at the rough brown mossy pieces glued to the sloping roof with my fingers. Jesus didn’t look like a baby in our Nativity, but a tiny adult with outstretched hands in a little plastic straw bed.  Sort of unsettling. Mary’s paint was imprecise and the blue from her dress washed into her face and cheeks. Joseph was surprisingly presentable. 

Christmas was coming, and a warm excitement filled me like strings of colorful lights wrapped around my veins all throughout my body. It was my absolute favorite time of year. Christmas Eve would mean dinner at my Grandmother’s house. The smell of various fishes cooked various ways heavy in the air like a seafood fog. And my favorite, the mushrooms. I have no idea how my uncle made them, but I looked forward to them each year. I tried to replicate them a few times, failing each. Mushrooms and soy sauce? Wine? It took a magic to make those mushrooms, and I never quite figured out the spell. 

Then a noise outside had gotten my attention and I rolled out from under the tree. I looked out the large bay window in the front of my house and saw my dad's car pulled into the driveway. He was home from wherever he’d been. I slid onto the couch and grabbed my book from the table. 

I had just turned the page when the front door opened. I looked up and saw my dad walking into the foyer, a huge smile on his face. A smile that said he’d been up to something. 

“Hey dad!” I said and put my book aside. He was walking in slowly, looking around, and holding his coat. This was an odd entrance. 

“Hey sweetheart!” He said as he decided to come into the living room. 

He didn’t sit down, just stood there smiling, fidgeting with his coat. Then I thought I heard a soft sound from somewhere. What was that? I heard it again. A high pitched cry like a baby cooing. I looked at my dad, puzzled. 

Then he opened his coat slowly, and from inside the pocket he pulled out the smallest fluffy ball of mewing fur. 

“A kitten! You have a kitten!” I squealed. 

“Shh! I didn’t tell your mother!” he replied, glancing over his shoulder to see if my mom heard and was coming. 

“You have a secret kitten! What’s her name? I love her! Is it a girl? It looks like a girl!” I said and took the warm fluff into my arms. She mewed again as I snuggled my face into her brown and black fur. She was the tiniest kitten I’d ever seen. 

“Yes, she’s a girl. And she’s a runt. Smallest kitten in her litter. When I saw her I knew she had to come home with me. Nearly tore apart my car on the way here! She’s a feisty runt!” he said. 

“She’s just perfect! I love her,” I said as she squirmed out of my arms and darted like a mini cheetah over to the front window. She looked back at us, looking at her, and leaped into the sheer white curtains that adorned the window. She used her claws to scale all the way to the top, then sat on the curtain rod inches from the ceiling, looking down on us with beautiful mischievous yellow eyes. 

My dad and I looked at each other and laughed. 

“What should we call her?” he asked. 

“Since it’s almost Christmas, let’s call her Holly.”

And then Holly swung over the curtain rod, dug in her claws, and slid down the curtain shredding it as she descended to the floor. I gasped. Dad laughed. Holly ran. 

“Holly Claws!” My dad laughed and showed me his arms, scratched up from his ride home with her. 

I looked at the shredded curtains and thought about the look my mom’s face would have when she saw the destruction and the secret kitten. As I smiled at the thought and the curtains, something caught my eye in the window. Snow. It had just started to snow. A soft, quiet, slowly falling snow. 

My heart was full, happy, content. 

***

I was brought back to my parent’s spare room with the sound of my mom’s cell ringing. I heard her answer, saying “Hello? Yes, this is she…”

It must be the hospital. I looked at my phone. It was 6:08am. I still hadn’t slept. Neither of us had. I wondered what this call would mean for this Christmas. They say miracles can happen at Christmas. I squeezed my eyes closed, trying to hear my mom’s conversation, but it was silent. 

I opened my eyes, and looked to the window. It had just started to snow. A soft, quiet, slowly falling snow. 

My heart was full, happy, content. I smiled. And I knew. 

November 14, 2023 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Tom Skye
22:14 Nov 14, 2023

Lovely story and a sweet take on the prompt. Cats always improve any story as well :) Describing the contrasting Christmases was very effective. When I think about Christmas as a kid it just seems otherworldly. Nostalgia in its most jarring form. This story captured that in a way. Great work again. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Nina H
23:56 Nov 14, 2023

Thanks Tom! I must agree about the cat enhancement factor! 😸 There’s definitely something about Christmas as a kid that brings out all the feels. I actually have another story for this week’s prompts but it’s also Christmas so I’m not sure if I’ll finish it or not.

Reply

Tom Skye
23:58 Nov 14, 2023

Hold it back for the prompts next month. Make it a classic! 🎄

Reply

Nina H
00:01 Nov 15, 2023

Good thinking! There must be Christmas prompts somewhere on the horizon!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
06:03 Nov 28, 2023

Hey Nina! I confess I am a feline friend, and I absolutely adore a good cat story much more over a dog story. However, I think the heart of a good pet story is present in most pieces—this idea that the power of the pet is all of the wonderful memories and moments that we get to have with them. I also really loved the fact that you themed the story around a holiday celebration and that Holly is the runt of the litter. It truly warmed my heart. Nice work on this one!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
05:11 Nov 18, 2023

This is a Christmas story, but to me I see it as about family, and keeping traditions from one generation of the family to another. The wrapping of presents late at night for the kids is the same as her Dad bringing home a tiny, sharp clawed kitten. The important part is the focus on the family, food, and being together. The memories are magical! Thanks !

Reply

Nina H
22:30 Nov 18, 2023

Thanks so much, Marty! That’s a wonderful take on it ☺️🎄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
23:29 Nov 17, 2023

A lovely sweet story. Nicely told with a good strong structure. Made me look forward to Christmas.

Reply

Nina H
22:31 Nov 18, 2023

I’m glad to hear that, Chris! Thanks for reading and commenting! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:37 Nov 17, 2023

Very glad about that happy ending - especially considering the non-fiction tag! I didn't know which way it would go, but that happy memory in the middle put me on edge (too many sad stories recently, perhaps :) But no, it ties things together instead, and the snow is a sign of peace and calm and contentment. It's like a moment of joy that connects across time. The payoff works, because the beginning really establishes a stressed out, worried mood, and so the relief on the last line is palpable. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Nina H
22:33 Nov 18, 2023

That’s really what the snow symbolizes here, Michał. That feeling of peace and calm after a rough, emotional night. Thanks so much for reading and your feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
16:00 Nov 16, 2023

How special Nina. A beautiful story about a significant relationship. I'll admit. Christmas time is not something I'm nostalgic for nor is it my favorite time of year. Bit of a grinch that way. However, you capture how sweet a memory this Holiday can be for many. And the fact that this ends on a good note makes it that much sweeter. I enjoyed this: "Back then, we didn’t buy new things if something went wrong; my dad always found a way to fix them, even if temporarily." My grandfather was the same way. I love this mentality. Thank you fo...

Reply

Nina H
16:59 Nov 16, 2023

There’s no rule that says everyone has to experience/appreciate/ like the same things, holidays included. I disagree that it makes anyone a “grinch”, because everyone thinks it’s something that should be done/celebrated/experienced a certain way. Does that make sense? It’s ok to love it. It’s ok not to. ☺️ at least that’s what I think! I’m glad you had a grandfather with that mentality too! Though sometimes I bite off more than I can chew trying to be like my dad and fix things 😂 ( then I call him and he fixes it after I “fixed” it!) Tha...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:45 Nov 15, 2023

Creative non fiction tag. I love the way you told this story, it has a very nostalgic feeling to the whole piece. The trip down memory lane highlights the loving relationship between father and daughter, which amplifies the reader’s investment in the outcome of the story. The ending is beautiful, sometimes a daughter just knows. There is that feeling of security that it’s all ok. On a side note, I bet you were exhausted that Christmas morning,

Reply

Nina H
15:08 Nov 15, 2023

Thanks so much, Michelle! Absolutely, it was the best feeling ever to know he was ok after everything that had happened. 🥰 And the exhaustion was like no other from no sleep plus the emotional aspect of it all. I think I could have slept a week, but there was Christmas to celebrate!! And I think the happiness I felt carried me through 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
05:48 Nov 15, 2023

This is so sweet, Nina! The title is deceptive (in a good way). I thought it would be a sad ending, but hoped not when I saw the nonfiction tag! I really liked how you delivered the ending. You showed us instead of told us, and it was really a magical moment (at least that's how it felt). The past Christmas reflection was super heartwarming. The MC is now wrapping presents for the kids, but is also reflecting on her memories as one of those kids awaiting the whimsical arrival of her own presents. But in this memory, it wasn't the Santa gif...

Reply

Nina H
11:36 Nov 15, 2023

Aww thank you so much for the sweet response, AnneMarie! You pulled a key point, with the Christmas memory being about the joy not so much from Santa but family, my dad. I had a few different titles then went with this because the silence when awaiting news like this can be deafening. But also it has the “Silent Night” Christmas carol link. And it was this Christmas where I nearly lost my dad that I started writing, because he had always encouraged me to do so and I’ve wanted to put together stories for him. My “plan” for this Christmas is...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:31 Nov 15, 2023

Aw, Nina!! Thank you for sharing so much! I'm relieved you didn't lose your dad that Christmas and that he can be here to receive your writing. He will be in absolute tears over for being so proud of you. I'm glad you listened to your dad and started writing. You're got a gift. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.