Change Takes Time

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about change.... view prompt

0 comments

General

It was the beginning of first grade: 

“I met a new friend on the playground today. His name was Julian. He had pretty dark skin and cool hair. We played for a while and met Sabrina. She said her grandparents came all the way from Asia. I think that’s pretty cool. Her snacks looked really good and she seemed nice. Hopefully, they’ll be my friends for a long time cause it’s really fun to play with them.”


It was second grade:

“It was Multicultural Day today. We got to bring in food and talk about where we came from. Each class was in charge of learning about a different continent. I learned how to use chopsticks. I didn’t know people could be from so many different places! I got to learn about Bangladesh, Sweden, China, France, Haiti, and a bunch more types of different countries and cultures. I brought in stuff from Ireland. People really liked the snacks I made, so I’m glad. It was pretty cool to learn about where all my friends came from.”


It was the end of fourth grade:

“I watched some of the news today. The people on TV said a black person was killed by a cop. It was scary to hear about. Why would a cop kill someone? I thought they were supposed to be the ones protecting us. I started to wonder who you should call if we’re scared of a cop, but Mommy said I shouldn’t have to worry about it. Pop told me, ‘Don’t worry about it. They get what they deserve. They’re always doing something wrong.’ How did he know black people were always doing something wrong? I guess he just knew.”


It was sixth grade:

“We were talking about crushes in school today. My one friend, Emma, said she liked Teddy, but our other friend, Annie, said it would never work. The only reasoning she had was that Emma was white and Teddy was black. I didn’t really understand, so I asked my parents and grandparents about it. My grandfather said that Annie was right and I should never bring a black boy home. ‘A white girl like me needed a nice white boy.’ I heard from my grandfather. The only difference between white and black is just that, it’s just color, but I guess there was something different about them that I didn’t understand. Maybe I’ll get it when I’m older."


It was the middle of seventh grade:

“We learned about slavery in History today. I’ve heard a little bit about it, but not many details until now. I don’t get why we were so horrible to African-American people. I mean, it seems like we still kind of are. I used to think that I would understand how black people were different, later in life, but I still don’t really get it. Pop says that we let them be free and they ruined it by becoming criminals. I don’t really understand how he knows all of them are criminals, but it doesn’t worry me that much.”


It was the middle of eighth grade and the start of the protests:

“I learned what white privilege meant today. I don’t want it. I wish there was a way I could get rid of it, or at least give it to someone else. People have been protesting. I’ve seen it all over social media. People are angry, and it’s not just black people. A man named George Floyd is dead because of a cop, but it’s more than that. It was the color of his skin that hurt him the most. I realize now, what makes them different. We treat them differently, so they act accordingly. Racism isn’t right and it needs to stop. I don’t understand the exact reason they’re protesting and rioting though. I don’t think that stuff can change a person’s opinion, but I hope they keep trying. I think that even though people are saying, ‘two wrongs don't make a right’, sometimes it’s what you need to make a change. People need to be educated, or given a reason to change, though. You can’t just expect them to."


It was the end of eighth grade and the start of the riots:

"People are still protesting and rioting in the streets today. I thought of black people as different up until this year because of what I was told. I like to use this metaphor to help others see the good in people, ‘If you were told your whole life that blue was called red, you would call it red. You’d keep calling it red until someone told you it was blue and everyone else knew it as blue.’ That works the same with opinions. When I was in first grade, I didn’t care about the color of Julian’s skin. It wasn’t until later when I was told things about black people, that made me think differently about them. I wasn’t educated properly, but now I am and I changed. I’d like my example to help others change. We need to give people a new perspective and facts that make them see things differently. It’s not their fault they were taught to be racist. They just need a bit of help to see they are. The truth of the matter is, all lives can’t matter until black lives do.”


It’s some time in the future:

“It’s getting better today. We are becoming more equal and thought it’s not perfect, it never was and probably never will be. At least we’re getting somewhere. I understand why they were protesting then. They were bringing awareness and trying to show people what was wrong. I’m glad people fight against the injustices and I hope they continue to do so, no matter how hard it is."


It’s the day I get married:

“My wedding was today. I married Teddy. My family was skeptical at first, but they love him now. I went from not realizing someone's race to thinking of black people as different, to standing alongside them, to helping others see them as what they are. The same. Human. My whole family, including myself, was able to change. People are changing. It took time, but the world is finally starting to change.”


June 13, 2020 00:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.