0 comments

American Contemporary

Harry Hears All

The earlier morning haze that defined Miami had broken up leaving a hot pavement and wilting pedestrians. Harry saw it all from his perch on the two-foot squared cement doorstep. He’d been residing there for a while now and found that it was a prime people-watching site. He glanced down the street, then up at the sun, shielding his dark rheumy eyes from the glare.

His world was all about sensation now, his ears, nose and eyes picked up clues about people that he hadn’t noticed when he was still working. He’d lost his wife to cancer three years before and without her, life was without the same meaning. When he eventually emerged from the bottle he’d lost his home and career. Being homeless was thrust upon him. After the first couple of months of having to learn the rules of the street, he was accepted. He shuffled his bony backside an inch closer to the black wrought iron fence that separated sidewalk squares from the patio of Chez Vert. It was near lunchtime and though some folks didn’t welcome a homeless man just feet from their table, most didn’t even acknowledge him.

 He pulled a soft-covered novel from an inside pocket. Ten minutes later he was immersed in Clive Cussler’s ‘White Death’ and hadn’t noticed that the day-time waiter, Brett had seated two tables. He slid his eyes to the left and noted that though the tables were mere feet apart, the patrons couldn’t be more distinct if they’d tried.

The table closest to him accommodated an older pair, both heading to sixty if he knew the signs, silver threads flashed in the Florida sun on each head, and sunglasses covered their eyes but you couldn’t miss the age lines under the arms of the designer shades. Her voice was pitched high and irritated, whereas he was well-modulated and used to appeasing her every whim. She was addressed as Monica in a cajoling manner when she began complaining about their location, the weather, and the choice of entrees within seconds of being seated. The man was Erik, and the harshness with which she emphasized the k made Harry flinch internally.

Harry’s head of white curls turned a bit further but anyone looking at him would assume he was just gazing down the street. His dark eyes didn’t hover but he saw them all the same. He surmised immediately they were mother and daughter due to their age, matching noses, and hazel eyes. Neither of them wore shades despite the glaring sun, the younger of the pair pawed through a massive leather bag. She pulled out and held aloft a small rectangular pouch with a delighted smile, while her older companion simply wiggled two fingers at Brett. A minute later he had expertly inserted an umbrella in the center hole of their table, cranking the handle until the two auburn-haired women were sufficiently shaded.

“Motherrr, where did you learn to do that? So chic and sophisticated I must say, not bad for a housewife from Chicago.” She laughed again then held up her palm for a high five, nodding her head when it was returned. They lifted their water glasses and pronounced a toast that Harry couldn’t catch, but his lips twitched up at their happiness.

“Erik, what were you thinking bringing me here, my lord man, it’s a dump.”

“Monica darling, this was the place we had our first date, don’t you remember? It was an Italian place then, but I thought you’d appreciate it.”

“Well, you were wrong, where is that waiter, what was his name? Barney, Brad. I don’t know how you talked me into this.”

“Oh, Momma, I’m so happy that I talked you into this! I just activated my first-ever credit card so lunch is on me, no, don’t argue. All the lunches you’ve bought, or prepared for Kathy and me? Brown bags for school for years, Geez, you better order an appy now that I think of it!”

“Providing for you and your sister was just part of being a mom, you’ll do the same no matter what this generation thinks parenthood is about. I’m so proud of you Maisie, a degree, husband, and baby all in one year! Your father sends his love too.”

“How is his trip to Milan going? Any news?”

“Monica, I have to fly to Milan tomorrow, that’s why I wanted to have lunch with you today. Tony thinks I should come over and look over the deal with the new CEO.”

“Well, why are you telling me all this? Rubbing my nose in your absence, didn’t you think I might like to go with you, do some shopping maybe? Get away from Miami for a week? You’re so cheap, Erik.”

“It’s business, my love, you wouldn’t be happy being there on your own all day. Why don’t you invite Shelly up for a couple of days, and spend some quality time with our daughter?”

“He’s doing well over there, thinks he’ll be home on Wednesday. The archives are in good shape and the museum has agreed to a one-year loan.”

“That’s exciting for Daddy, isn’t it? What are you having, the menu looks exciting!”

“This menu is sadly lacking anything new, I ask again why would you bring me here with so many other chic places to be seen in the city.”

“I told you earlier, we had our first date here, we hardly ever go out to eat together anymore, I thought it would be a treat. Now, what looks good, hm. Oh hey there son, what do you recommend?”

“I think I’ll have the Caesar salad with chicken, it comes with garlic toast so there’s my carbs for the day.”

“Why are you worried about carbs Mom? You look amazing! That gym you’re going to is working for you and Dad. What’s Kathy doing today, how come she couldn’t make it? I’m going for the beef dip, this little sprog of mine is giving me a huge appetite lately. Can you believe I’m four months along already?”

“Four months ago Erik, that’s how long it’s been since we’ve been to bed together, have you found someone new already? It’s only been three months since you broke up with the last one.”

“Don’t be crass Monica, I thought you and I could see if we could get our old spark back. What are you having? Brett will be back in a minute with our champagne.”

“I’m not an idiot Erik, and why would I want to spark with you after all this time? I gave you a child, kept your home and gave up my ambitions, any lightning we had has long passed. Right around the time you started seeing Jessica if I’m right. I’ll just nibble on some pate and crackers Brett, thank you. Oh and you brought an ice bucket for the champagne, this place isn’t as low-rate as I thought.”

“Kathy had a lecture this morning, she said she might be able to get here for dessert though, what are you having again, oh yes. Brett, my daughter has a pregnancy craving for red meat so she’s going with the beef dip, I’ll do the Caesar salad special and two non-alcoholic ciders please.”

“He’s cute, isn’t he? Oh, don’t look at me like that Mom, I’m married and pregnant, not dead! Cheers.”

“I like this place Maisy, how did you find it? It’s been a while since I could sit outside and eat back home that’s for sure. I don’t mind Chicago, and it’s great for your dad’s work, he’s settled at the museum, but I miss this Florida sunshine and my two girls of course.”

“Nice save Momma.” Harry could hear that infectious laugh again and it made him smile. She seemed like a nice young woman.

“Monica, maybe you could save some of that champagne for me? I thought we’d toast each other and Shelly of course.”

“Why Shelly, what’s she done that’s worth toasting? Managing to stay with one lover for longer than her father is able to? Well, cheers to my baby girl then!”

“Holy Crap, Monica, When did this callousness start? Must you be so mean about your daughter?”

“I hope I have a daughter, but of course, I’d love a son too, Daniel is so over the moon we could have an alien baby I don’t think he’d even notice!”

“I’m sure he’d notice, especially if the baby had antennae and green skin, or looked like Alf. Oh my dear, you used to love that show, remember?”

“Shelly has been putting on a show for you Erik, one that only promotes one side of herself. She’s a miserable, money-grabbing, sarcastic little bitch. It’s only you that can’t see it. She’s got you twisted around her little finger.”

“Well, she is your daughter then eh Monica? She got all your negative traits poor thing. What she needed was a sibling, she could have learned to share and had someone to talk to, but oh no not Monica, didn’t want to ruin your figure any further. If I spoiled her it was because it was the only way I was allowed to show her any affection.”

“I think this baby will have to have at least one sibling, I don’t know what I would have done without Kathy. Oh, a text just came in from her. It says she’ll be here in about half an hour. That should be enough time to finish our entrees, speak of the devil. Oh, not you Brett! That looks delicious, thank you.”

“Maisie, honey. How about you finish baking the baby you have in the oven now, and then when you and Dan get a few hours of sleep you can start planning the sibling? I’m just suggesting an option.”

“Monica, we have a couple of options open to us today. I brought you here because of our history, but I’m looking at the future all of a sudden. Is there anything I can do to make you happy anymore? I know I’ve screwed up in the past, with women and inattention to you and Shell, but I’m willing to change. What I need to know is, are you willing to work with me, or do you want a divorce?”

“Divorce! Where did that come from, just because I’m not happy doesn’t mean I want to split up. We’re a social force you and I, Miami society would fall apart if Monica and Erik did. No, I don’t want any more champagne, where’s that Bobby guy, I need a martini if we’re going to entertain this conversation.”

“Dammit Mon, his name is Brett, are you such a snob that you refuse to learn a waiter’s name?”

“What do you think of the name Brett for a boy Mom? My lord this beef dip is to die for, I could swim in this au jus!” How’s your salad anyway, you haven’t said. Oh, I think I see Kathy, she’s early. Here I’ll move my purse from the spare chair. She’s so pretty my little sister, maybe I’ll name my daughter Kathy.”

“Maisie, may I make another motherly suggestion? Maybe you should wait until your next scan, then you and Daniel can determine the sex of my grandchild before you choose a name? Don’t laugh at me, I’m being the practical, and non-hormonal one here. Ask your sister! Hello darling, good to see your face.”

“Hey sis, how’s my niece or nephew treating you?”

“Hi Kath, you look so lovely and summery in that dress! What’s the matter, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Erik, you’ve gone white, is your steak not cooked right?”

“I’m fine, just feeling hot in the direct sun, I’m going to shift my chair closer to you, don’t worry I’m not going to touch you in public, I know how much you hate that.”

“Don’t be a sarcastic ass, I’ll move over a bit, bring your plate and glass around. Maybe we should have had, B, Brett put up an umbrella for us as those women did. I’ll find him.”

“No, we’ll be gone soon enough, I’m fine now, just needed to move. So, shall we continue our conversation now? Regardless of the society pages, we haven’t been close in any way for nearly a decade now, why should we beat a dead horse? Let’s just agree to separate when I get back from Italy and see how it goes. Oh, Brett, my wife would like a vodka martini, extra dry with two olives.”

“Kathy, would you like something to drink? We’re just having virgin ciders, here have some of my fries too, it’s only the meat I wanted. Hello, you’re miles away.”

“Sorry, Mais, I’ll have a glass of Merlot, I’m just a little distracted, the lecture was really interesting, so I keep going over it in my head. It’s all about the marital construct, you know, what do we expect when we tie the knot? It’s made me think about my expectations of a partner. What have you learned Mom? Is marriage all you thought it would be?”

“Your father and I have had lots of ups and downs in our life, but after we talked and realized that reaching 50/50 equality in a marriage is just not possible we meet each other where needed.”

“Erik, I don’t want to separate, or divorce but I get that you need some time to think. I won’t hold you back. I don’t want to be another statistic so when you get back from Italy we can talk again, what do you say? Hello, maybe more than a nod for the end of our marriage please, what are you looking at? Brett, can we have our bill, please? What is he doing talking to that homeless man, Brett?! Yes, I’m talking to you.”

“I’m sorry girls, I never talked to you about marriage and its struggles. Here you are at twenty-something, one married and the other training to be a marriage counsellor, I guess I didn’t do too badly eh? Kathy, you said something about a field trip this week, where are you going?”

“My religious studies prof has a few of us signed up to go to Italy tomorrow, we land in Milan then will head to Vatican City. I’m looking forward to it, I’m hoping I can see Dad when I’m there. I wanted to ask what hotel he’s staying at.”

“You’re going to Milan? That is so exciting. I’m super jealous. What’s going on at that table, I’ve been picking up some tension but now she’s dumped a martini over his head! All this before one-thirty too. Kathy? You’re looking pale again. I hope it’s nothing that would prevent you from travelling tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Brett, you can just give the man with the wet shirt the bill. I apologize for the alcohol abuse but sometimes a woman hears something that leads to impulsive actions.”

“Monica! Damn it, I told you I’m not seeing anyone, why wouldn’t you believe me? The text was from Tony’s office manager arranging my flights and hotel. They’re paying so who am I to turn down a suite? Where are you going, I’m still talking to you!”

“I’m heading home Erik, I’ve got some investigating to do in your home office and believe me if there’s anything with a woman’s name on it this divorce is going to cost you. What are you bitches gawking at?”

“Well, there she goes. Kathy darling, look away it’s not our business, it’s pathetic that some people aren’t more discreet with their personal relationships, Maisie, have you finished? Time to go I think. Thank you again for paying sweetheart, it was great to have my girls to myself today. I’m just sorry Kathy didn’t get her wine though. Oh, honey, you need the washroom, we’ll meet you at Maisie’s since you you’re your own car. Where is that Brett?”

“Brett? Do you have a towel or something? I’m going to just sit and enjoy the rest of my lunch, but maybe her place could be cleared? Thank you.”

“Hello, Erik. What are you doing here? I thought we agreed not to come here anymore, that was all too close for comfort. Brett? Could I have that glass of Merlot now, I think I’m going to need it. Thanks. Oh, that tastes just perfect. Although I’m sure it won’t compare to any vintage we drink in Milan, cheers lover.”

“Cheers Kathy.”

Neither one of them saw the man on the stairs to their right shake his head in despair.

June 20, 2023 23:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.