1 comment

Coming of Age

Maya let out a slow breath as she pulled into the parking lot of “Scott’s” at 10 PM. She had been coming to this same hole-in-the-wall dinner almost daily for not quite a year now, and yet somehow, it had quickly become the only constant in her life. Just over halfway done with her first year of college, moving away from her family, and starting her new job in such a small time frame had taken a toll on her, but being able to pull into this parking lot at any time she was free and wanted a cheap yet satisfying meal had been one of the few things that kept her pushing forward.

Today was particularly tiring. 

A combination of high customer counts at work, and incoming deadlines on multiple assignments had kept her busy and stressed to the point of exhaustion recently and all she wanted right now was whatever insane combination of ingredients would be making up today's “Specialty Sandwich” that Scott- the haggard old man who seemed to be permanently behind the counter- had made today. 

While other customers being here at this hour was not strictly uncommon, to see another car in the parking lot at this hour on a Tuesday was somewhat rare. And even stranger was that the two occupants seemed to be leaning over the hood of the car looking up in surprise as she stepped out of her car.

A man and a woman, both appearing to be around 50 years old, visibly tired, yet they greeted her with warm if desperate smiles. Which she met with her own tight smile and respectful nod as she took her first step towards the entrance. 

“Excuse me ma’am.”  What she assumed was the man spoke. The desperation in his voice was palpable as he continued.

“I beg you, allow me to wash your car where it stands, all that I ask is whatever money you would be willing to donate for gas. Were stranded very far from home.” 

She did her best not to wince at the stain of his throat as she reached for her wallet, looking down at the lonely 10 dollar bill it held.

“I'm sorry, but this is all that I have with me. Please, you don’t have to do anything for me. Just get home safe” Her heart broke at the look of relief the women had when they saw the money. 

Maya had always been rather reserved, so when she blurted out, “Do you think I could buy you two a meal,” she felt just as shocked as they looked. They had already begun their tired walk back to their car but had turned back to her with eyes welling at her words.

“Thank you for the offer,” The woman started, “But you have already given us more than we have gotten all day, we couldn't take more.” 

“Well then what about a trade? I'll get you two something to eat, and you can tell me your story. I got a feeling you two have been through quite a bit.” 

She hoped her smile was inviting. And judging by the sigh they both released before smiling thankfully at her she had succeeded.

“It'll be a long story” The man warned somewhat playfully.

All Maya could do was dip her head in the direction of the dinner with a smile and begin her walk once more.

The same familiar jingling of the bell as she held the door open for them was a welcome sound as she stepped into the homey space that was “Scott’s”. Taking a seat at the counter like she always did, her eyes narrowed at the decidedly blank whiteboard that normally held the day's “Specialty sandwich” name and ingredients.

The deep rumble of Scott’s chuckle as he came out from behind the door which connected to the kitchen was what drew her eyes away a moment later. “Ran out of bell peppers.” He stated mirthfully, “It was “Savory by the Bell '' but once I'm out of the main ingredient I can't exactly keep surviving it.”

His eyes widened slightly when he realized that there were other people sitting with her, “Hello there, welcome. Can I get you anything to drink?” 

When they had looked at her questioningly, as if to try to give her an out if she had changed her mind, Maya was quick to answer for them. “Anything they get will be on me,” She told the owner before turning back to them, “Please order whatever you like.”

With a grateful expression they answered in unison, “Some sweet tea please.”

Ever the fan of discretion, Scott barely even raised an eyebrow in question before nodding with a smile and facing Maya once more, “And you?” He chucked once more when she deadpanned at his question, “Two Sweet Tea’s and an Arnold Palmer coming right up.” 

In all the times that she had come here, Maya could count on one hand the number of times she had ordered anything other than an Arnold Palmer for her drink, and all of those had been well over 3 months ago. Scott knew this and yet he still asked every time when he realized it would rile her up even somewhat.

“You come here often then?” The woman asked gently when Scott disappeared behind the kitchen door. 

“That I do…” Shame quickly hit her as she realized in all this time, she had neglected to ask their name’s or venture her own. “I am so sorry, my name is Maya Esparsa, and you are?”

“Tired and thankful” The woman said pointing at herself then the man to her right with a small laugh. “I kid. We’re Rosa and Manuel Leos, and I can't thank you enough for this.”

“You are very welcome.” She cajoled smoothly as Scott stepped back into view, placing their drinks in front of them individually.

“And what can I get for you to eat?” He questions after pulling out a notepad from a pocket in his apron. 

“Seeing as I can't have what I can only assume what was the best sandwich ever,” She said with a mock glare that Scott met with a jovial smile, “Do you think I can get whatever tomorrows will be?”

“It'll take a while to prep, want some fries while you wait?”

“Sure, that sounds great,” she said before sending her view to the aged couple beside her, who were looking somewhat frantically at the menu before looking up to Scott.

“We'll take the same if that alright,” Manuel had said after tentatively placing the menus back in the paper towel holder.”

“Right away.” Was Scotts simple reply, placing away his notepad, taking no more than a minute to bring out the fries before stepping back in the kitchen.

“Thank you again. For doing this. We've been having a rough go of it lately.” Rosa said quietly.

“Don't mention it. But I do believe I was promised a story.” Maya responded playfully.

At the old couples' tired sigh, Maya questioned if this was a good idea for the first time. Their eyes met each other before they both gave a resolute nod to the other. “My Brother passed away about a month ago…” Rosa began.

The next half hour was a rollercoaster of emotion for Maya, and if his supportive smiles were anything to go by, Scott felt much the same from the little bits he would hear when he came back to the front on occasion to refill their drinks or ask if they needed anything else.

The Leos’ had been in town for the funeral as they lived about 3 hours away. In their time here their car had broken down to the point of needing a mechanic to survive it for about a week, had been robbed, and had been staying in the cheapest motel they could find. 

Their family’s that had also been in town for the funeral had left immediately after, unaware of their precarious position. 

And when they had finally been ready to leave, they had burned through all of the money they had access to, stranding them here with less than an eighth tank of gas.

When they had finally finished their tale, the Leos’ had looked as drained as Maya felt. The impromptu group sat in plaintive silence for a few minutes after, though drained, the old couple did seem to have less weight on them as they finished off their French fries, until Scott returned one final time with their actual meals.

“I'm thinking of calling it “Up Shoot Creek with a Patty”. A slow cooked chicken patty with salted devil's club shoots, on a whole grain bun. Salty yet savory, perfect for turning a bad day around”, he sent the Leos’ an understanding smile, “I’d like to help you two as well, whenever you're ready I'd like to fill up your tank.”

That seemed to be what finally broke the dam for them. Tears started to flow freely from their eyes as they looked back and forth between Scott and Maya. 

“Thank you.” They both said through shuddering breaths. 

With a contented smile, Maya took a bite of the sandwich she had come in here for. Despite everything that she had gone through over this last year, this meal somehow made the whole world look brighter. 

“Everything would be ok,” Maya thought to herself. “They had to be.”

September 06, 2022 22:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Becky B
07:45 Sep 15, 2022

What a lovely story. It's nice to read about kindness! I thought the description of the sandwich place, Maya's day and regular routine gave the story depth. I think this kind of backstory could have been added to Leo and Manuel's characters. They seemed a little too carefully placed and I would have liked to have known a few more details to bring them to life a bit more. A few more details could have roused my sympathy a little more. Thank you for sharing your story! It was very enjoyable to read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.