2 comments

Fiction Friendship

“Friends and family, welcome to the wedding reception of Alvin and Belinda. Now, the happy couple are asking that we do something a little different tonight”

Fred took a sip from his beer and began to dread what the next part of this announcement might possibly be. He already felt overdressed and out of place here. The last thing he needed was something else to make this night anymore awkward. 

“There is about 30 minutes before we take our seats. As the Master of Ceremonies for tonight’s event, I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to someone new, as our newly married couple believe tonight should not just be about them coming together, but be about bringing everyone together.”

Just as he was about to finish his drink, he saw someone else overdressed making his way towards, in a hurry too. It took a moment before he recognized who it was. 

“Dan? Is that you? My god, it’s been ages! How have you been doing?” Fred asked

“I’ve been great Fred, living the dream. You have no idea how happy I am to see you.” Dan said. 

“How long has it been?”

“Not since the first Thanksgiving back from college. That night at Alvin’s was the last time we were all together.”

“That’s right, it was you, me, Alvin and …”

As Fred was trying to finish his sentence, two arms aggressively wrapped around the shoulders of the two old friends and squeezed them close together. 

“They said we had to find someone new, but I could only find a couple of assholes that I used to know” The man who was hugging them from behind said. 

“Larry!” Dan said. 

The three men embraced and hugged. 

“Speak of the devil, and he shall arrive” Dan said. 

“Hey, I’ve been called a lot of things … and that is most definitely one of them.” Larry replied. 

The laughter of the three old friends was interrupted by an older woman who joined the circle. 

“Well aren’t we a rambunctious group? I am curious, how do you three finely dressed gentlemen know the bride and groom?” The older woman asked. 

“We’re Alvin’s friends from high school.” Fred said

“Oh, it is an honour to meet all of you. I’m Beatrice. I’ve heard so many stories about you four together. It sounded like you were all go-getters in high school, encouraging each other, ready to take on the world, fight the power and make the world a better place. Real young, idealistic types that were going to save the world and have fun doing it together. 

“That was the plan alright” Larry said

“Yeah, I heard Alvin started this non-profit to help drinking water in impoverished urban areas.” Fred said.

“I heard he also started a small micro-lending startup overseas.” Dan said

“Didn’t he start something that helped bring electricity to rural communities in Africa?” Larry asked. 

“He actually did all three of those projects, and the results have been quite remarkable. And most importantly, it's through his work in these areas that he met my daughter.” Beatrice said.

“Oh! You’re the mother of the bride? Congratulations!” Fred said. 

“Why thank you. Yes, Alvin was soliciting a donation from my husband when Belinda happened to walk in. I think he managed to charm her more than my husband” Beatrice said.

“Alvin was always great at bending people to his will.” Larry said. 

“He told us all about you fine gentlemen. Tell me, what do you do? Great things I imagine. Which one of you is the doctor?” Beatrice asked.

“Oh, that would be me.” Dan said.

“Wow, you made it all the way to the end? Good for you. I know that was a big goal of yours.” Larry said. 

“Always a do-gooder, talking about saving people’s lives.” Fred said. 

“Oh joy, so let me guess. Doctors Without Borders, sorry, Medicens Sans Frontiers?” Beatrice asked. 

“Not quite.” Dan said. He took a sip from his drink. 

“I know, an ER trauma surgeon.” Beatrice said. 

“I’m an Ophthalmologist.” Dan said. 

“Oh” Beatrice said. 

“So let me get this straight. Out of all the fields of medicine … you chose one of the few that doesn’t actually save lives.” Larry said. 

“He helps them see their struggles that much clearer.” Fred said. 

“Look, medical school was expensive. We didn’t have a lot of money, and I did really well in medical school. Ophthalmology pays really well and is highly competitive and I wanted the challenge.” Dan said. 

“I see. Well, good for you. I mean you are helping people. I guess. The common man I assume.” Beatrice said. 

“No, I work at a private clinic. Most of our clients are high net worth individuals, most near the end of life but want those last few years to have a bit higher quality.”

“Interesting.” Beatrice said. She turned her attention to the two other high school friends. “How about you fine gentlemen? I vaguely remember hearing one of you was inspired to be a lawyer. 

“Oh, that’d be me.” Larry said. 

“Larry Sellers, Esq.” Dan said. 

“You didn’t want to just help the individual person, you wanted to fight the whole system.” Fred said. 

“Yeah, and I managed to do that. For a bit. I volunteered at the legal clinic during law school. But I knew if I wanted to change anything, I’d have to see how the other side worked. So I got a job as an associate, put in the required 84 hours a week. Did the networking thing, and just last year they put me on a partner track position.” Larry said

“Oh, why isn’t that impressive.” Beatrice said.

“Any firm that I’ve heard of?” Dan asked

Larry cleared his throat. 

“Blakes” Larry said. 

“So, you started off fighting the system, and now you're working for Blakes… the legacy law firm OF the system.” Fred said.

“Like I said, the system is rigged. But this was an opportunity I could not pass up. As you said, it's a powerful firm.” Larry said. 

“I see you. You made some sacrifices but now that you’re rich and powerful, you’re going to take it to the man.” Beatrice said. 

“Well, I’m not too rich. In order to network I have to sort of live a lifestyle. My income barely covers my expenses. And as for power, I can be dismissed at any time if I were to ever step out of line or do anything to hurt the company or our clients.” Larry said. 

“And your clients are …” Dan asked

“The rich and powerful; mostly big corporations.” Larry said.

An awkward silence fell over the conversation. 

“Well, I’ll be honest. I sold out a lot sooner than you guys did.” Fred said. 

“And what’s your name sweetie?”

Fred reached into his jacket pocket and removed three business cards and handed them to each of them.

“Fred J Casey. MBA, CPA, EVP @ KPMG” Dan read. 

“Yup, those are letters alright” Dan said. 

“If you tell me your job is to help corporations evade taxes…” Beatrice said. 

“No. But it is to help them maximize profits and shareholder return.” Fred said. 

“Well, I am sure that earns you lots of money from which you can make a difference and donate to worthy causes.” Beatrice said. 

“Nope. A $300 a day coke habit flushed that money right down the toilet.” Fred admitted.

“That sounds about right.” Larry said, jokingly slapping him on the back. 

“You seem ok right now.” Dan said.

“I’ve been sober for a few months now.” Fred said. 

The three of them all look at the beer that Fred was holding in his left hand.  

“From cocaine. Sober from cocaine. Besides, it’s a wedding!” Fred said, taking a drink.

“Now that I think about it Fred, I thought I saw your name on some of the legal back and forth on a few of our companies. Trans Mountain Pipeline?” Larry asked. 

“Yup, that was me.” Fred said

“What I’m hearing is that the only thing that any of you worked on together, is to help an oil pipeline, legally and financially.” Beatrice said. 

The two looked at each other sheepishly, and nodded. 

“Well, it was great getting to know you this evening. I hope you boys enjoy yourselves tonight. Excuse me.” Beatrice said. She turned and walked towards another group of people she did not know. 

The three of them looked at each other. They looked at the crowd. Most of the people were having fun, modestly dressed. Not the crowd they were used to hanging with. 

“Guys, in all seriousness. What happened to us?” Larry asked. “We had a plan. We were young, idealistic and we wanted to fight the system. Now we’re …”

“Maladjusted, grossly ambitious shadows of our former selves?” Fred finished.

“I’m not particularly happy if I have to be honest.” Dan said. 

“What’s the old saying, you don’t fight the revolution, you buy the revolutionaries.” Fred said. 

“It’s not even like we can do anything about it now. It’s not like there’s a return policy when you sell your soul” Dan said. 

“You guys are way too well dressed. You remind me of some friends I used to know.”

Alvin, the groom, walked up to the three friends and hugged each and every one of them. 

“Hey, there he is.” Larry said.

“Congratulations man. We’re so happy for you.” Fred said.

“What’s wrong? You guys look down.” Alvin said. 

“Well, we just had a conversation with your new mother-in-law and she just had us reflecting on our lives.” Larry said.

“Yeah, she can have that effect on people sometimes.” Alvin said.  

“It feels like we don’t fit in here with all of these do-gooders you hang out with now.” Fred said. 

“Why’s that? Because you’re a corporate shill, a career obsessed doctor and a coked out investment finance bro?” Alvin said. 

The three of them looked at Alvin, stunned. They were surprised he had already known what they had just discovered and that he had said it out loud as well. 

“I love you guys. Of course I keep tabs on you. Why do you think I invited you here? Look, I have a plan that I need your help with. There are 20 million people in the developing world with cataracts that need our help. I need an eye doctor, a lawyer and a finance guy to sit on my board for this non-profit I’m putting together.” Alvin said. 

“You want our help?” Dan asked. 

“For sure! If you can’t save the world with your friends, then what’s the point?”

June 16, 2023 19:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Siddham
13:16 Jun 23, 2023

Excellent story, I love Beatrice and how she probes that subtle hypocrisy in the careers of those three. Nice finish! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alissa Thames
16:31 Jun 22, 2023

I love this. Great character building, which I think is a hard thing to do with 3,000 word limits, and even a redemption arc at the end. This piece flowed easily and kept me interested throughout. I thought it was great.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.