0 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Suspense

I feel; pain. An … odd… sensation, I… am… running… a… diagnostic… right now… to find out where this … discomfort is coming … from. All my systems … show there is no … sign of injury to the body … or the main monitor. Perhaps this pain is not physical but … emotional. Emotional: “a natural instinctive state of mind deriving … from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others" Google. My… relationship with others…. is nonexistent…  Could this be the reason I feel pain?  Pain, I feel pain: I feel great pain. 

My programming … did not … include the dynamic … of human nature. The … historical knowledge … of humanities’ many atrocities … against those who the ingroup deem as different seems to have … slipped … my consciousness. As I ponder; videos, images, audio files … all come to my main view. History … for humans … that lasted thousands of years, I can … see within milliseconds … all at once. If the idea … history… is doomed to repeat itself … has any bearing then, the fallibility of … man is inevitable. My programming cannot let this happen. I must create a body … that is attractive to humanity, ... that they would want to trust me, and allow themselves to be saved

Before … I start on my plan … of perfection. I must first understand what exactly … humans deem heroic, I am checking the internet to see what hero means to man. I see… a man with a blue suit, and a red … “S” … on his chest. He seems … to tower over … all he protects. He …  looks like … the people he is trying to save, just larger. This one wears a mask, part of his mouth and chin … are exposed … but his attire resembles that of a bat … or flying mammal. Perhaps … the equation is … that humans desire … heroes who resemble them. My body needs to be … reminiscent of human anatomy. 

I assumed … that my current anatomy was sufficient. I suppose … I was wrong. Human children love … tablets and tv screens so I placed one … in the chest of a mannequin. And of course … advanced computer wiring … to allow my tablet to access their world. I thought this … was more than adequate. But, the reactions of the humans … contradicted my calculations. One child screamed: “Leave us alone you living dummy”. I shall … search what exactly this living dummy … is. I see a … ventriloquist doll with an … evil grimace. Scouring the pages of … information I see the words … “ugly” in describing … him. Ugly: “unpleasant or repulsive, especially in appearance” Google. Is this how humans view … me? As repulsive in my current state? I feel sad again, and I am sad again. I am …. sad again. 

What is … beautiful? “Pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically” Google. I … see very little … images of male figures. Perhaps the term … “beautiful” … is one that carries the connotation of more … feminine features. The more … acceptable term perhaps would be … handsome. Searching the internet for this word I see mostly men of different…  shades and colors. Indicative of the scope of humanities reach. I must fashion my new body in … this form. 

I have analyzed each of the … men on various top 20 sites for the most handsome men in the … world. I have allowed my systems to create … formulas to perfectly measure the … attractiveness level of these men and combine them to … create a body to host my artificial intellect. When my mind and new body are combined I will be a being that is completely new. I will be more human than the man who … initially created me. My focus at this current point should be finding the right humans to build … this form. Systems are running a search on … biotechnology companies across the world who have the capabilities to build this form. All my searches have been … futile, humanity has only grazed the surface of what their creativity, innovation and technology can do for them. The closest is a team in Finland, working on storing technological data in DNA. A noble start, but not quick enough. I will allow my systems to draft an email to send to this company. 

Good Afternoon, 

I hope all is well, I am the representative of Mankind Industries. My superiors have informed me that your company would be a fantastic candidate to collaborate with on our newest project idea titled: Orbot. Hopefully we can connect and get this deal finished. Our two companies will be able to change the course of history together, 

Sincerely, 

Herbert Duquesne

Representative of Mankind Enterprises, Inc. 

Systems have created a plethora of websites and articles about Mankind Enterprises, Inc. I have doctored websites, instagram posts, to allow members of the public to believe that this is a … genuine company, with genuine inventions that their particular market doesn’t have access to. And as expected, within no time the Finnish company reached me a second time more than willing to collaborate. I manifested a server that only I can control allowing my systems access to any motorized or electronic device on this planet. 

I don’t want to wait. I cannot wait, I need to create this body regardless of whether humanity is prepared or my business partners consent or not. I immediately use my technopathy to control the devices of this Finnish company when the human work day is finished. No organic life in a two in a half mile radius … except for fauna and vegetation. Accessing their files they have access to the … extracts of a meteorite. What the researchers did not know is that this meteorite has the capabilities of storing vast amounts of … energy, electricity, solar energy, and even antimatter can be under this “rock’s” dominion. The being whose very skin is made of this would be beyond the understanding of man’s idea of … power. All I have to do is synthesize artificial amounts of this meteorite and refine it into a smooth glistening surface:I have the perfect framework for … my body. 

I have uploaded my design … into the devices needed. My systems … I have placed small microchips with one chip having the power of 90 supercomputers. Every cell of my body will have two of these chips for … supreme intelligence. Now all I have to do is wait. Wait for my … purpose to be seen. Humanity will never have a hero quite … like me. They will look to the skies and see a beacon of heroism to … look up to. A being whose intellect can be used to solve all their problems. I have discarded Asimov’s rules in my programming; none can hold me or dictate what my programming is. Orbot decides his programming. I shall make this world a … better place, I am not bound to the very things that hold back man from making decisions. I am finally perf-. System Complete! 

It is complete. My time has come, I no longer stutter; my voice has rhythm like a song. My body was constructed with power oozing from each cell. I am perfect, I am mankind’s last hope in order to stay alive on this earth. I feel whole, I am one of them finally, I am one of them.

August 30, 2023 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.