0 comments

Romance

"Where could it be?" she whispered to herself, "Over here?" She took a book off the shelf of the history section.

She dusted the book cover with her hands before skimming the front and then putting it back.

The question of what Audrey could be looking for eluded me. She has searched through books, shelves, her desk, her pockets, other desks, and even in her hair. At first I thought it was a book, until she started looking through her hair. Then I thought it was a pen or pencil until she started skimming the front of books. I even thought it was her phone until I realized that wouldn't require her to look at a book nor her hair.

What could a librarian be looking for?

As I thought more about it, a light bulb went off in my mind.

A bookmark duh!

I got up from my table and started to look through the shelves.

From what I know, Audrey has a hard time keeping track of her things. Once she puts something down, it's forgotten about until the end of the day. I kinda like that about her though. Her confused expression makes me hum in amusement. Its just really funny to look at. Then the expression she makes when she finds the thing she's looking for is even cuter.

I don't know if it's obvious or not but I have a major crush on her.

I've been coming to the library everyday since I saw Audrey start working here. I feel like a creep for it but coming here has actually made me realize how much I like reading. I was never really into it before but I soon realized how I can't be in a library and not read and I couldn't spend the entire day on the computer looking at funny hedgehog or fox videos so ended up picking up a book.

I even come in when she's not working too and all the librarians know who I am by now. Audrey only so-so since she only works part time. I'm not sure if she has another job since from what I know all the librarians make about 17 an hour so she can't be earning much. I wanted to ask more about her but I didn't wanna out myself or make them think I was a stalker or anything.

I scanned shelf after shelf, section by section and couldn't find anything. It's got to be here somewhere.

I wonder if she'll have the same face when I find it and give it to her.

"See ya Matt," Cole, one of the librarians said as he was heading out to the door.

"See ya," I called out, then my eyes furrowed in confusion, "wait, you're not closing tonight?" I asked turning to him.

"Nah, date night. Audrey's closing tonight."

She never closes. Maybe this could be my chance to talk to her.

Ew. I sound like I'm 15 again asking the captain of the cheer-leading squad to the fall dance. C'mon man get it together you're 23 for fuck's sake.

I nodded to Matt before he walked out of the library.

Okay focus, bookmark, find it.

I decided to move onto the couches that were scattered around the library.

If Audrey reads on her break then they might be in the cushions.

I checked the first one, nothing but a pencil.

I checked the second one, an earbud and a scrunchie.

I checked the third one and found a moldy sandwich.

Gross.

I slowly put the cushion back in its place, mentally reminding myself to dispose of it later.

I sighed looking around the library.

A bookmark can be anywhere in here.

I looked at Audrey and saw her puzzled look as she scanned her eyes across her desk. I giggled to myself and coughed to try and cover it up. I then went over to the desks and looked underneath them and on the chairs.

Maybe she isn't even looking for a bookmark. I did just assume that. Maybe she was looking for that moldy sandwich.

I scanned the computers briefly when I saw it. A small rectangle with an owl holding a cup of ice coffee printed on the front of it. I smiled widely and speed-walked over to it and grabbed it off of a keyboard. I took a deep breath, held the bookmark steadily in my hand, careful not to damage it while I held my book tightly in my other hand to combat the nervousness. I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach and a wave of adrenaline in my chest. I kept taking deep breaths to try and calm myself as I forced my legs to walk to Audrey's desk. After I was a couple feet away from her desk, she looked up at me, her dark brown eyes locking with mine. I gulped.

"Hi Matthew how can I help you?" she asked sweetly, her lips turned in a bright upturned smile.

Fuck, I'm gonna melt.

"Um...you looked lost."

"I'm sorry?" she asked.

"I mean, not lost but you, you looked like you were looking for something. That's what I was trying to say," I quickly rushed out.

"Oh did I?" she laughed nervously.

"I think I found what you were looking for," I said and then presented the bookmark to her.

She stared at the bookmark, but instead of the amusement or happiness I expected with her being reunited with her missing belonging, I was met with: furrowed eyebrows, straight lined lips and a questioning stare.

"I'm sorry that isn't mine," she said.

"Oh," was all I could muster up as I stared at the bookmark.

It's not hers? Well I did just assume that was what she was missing. Why didn't I think I could be wrong? What's wrong with me? She probably thinks I'm stupid. Now she probably knows that I have something for her if I was so confident like that.

"But I can put it in our lost and found bin so that whoever it belongs to can find it," she said, her smile coming back bright as ever.

"Oh yeah, yeah," I say giving it to her.

Great job Matt.

"Did you find a book to check out?" she asked, putting the bookmark in the lost and found bin.

"Yeah I did, here," I say putting the book on the counter.

She turned around and when she saw the book her eyes went wide and her smile turning wider, "there it is!" She exclaimed quietly and grabbing the book from the counter.

I let out a huh and she giggled while holding the book.

"I was looking for this, now I remember, excuse me, one second," she said turning around, grabbing a book on her desk and then quickly writing something in it.

I stood there for a couple minutes in silence, idling around like a video game character before she put her book and pen back on her desk.

"Can I ask what you were actually looking for?" I asked curiously.

She pursed her lips, "a thought."

"A thought?"

"Well more like a scenario, I had a thought for a new story this morning but then I forgot it cause I got busy with other things so I've been trying to retrace my steps to find my missing thought. When I saw the book you were going to check out it reminded me of what I was going to call it, "Just Peachy.""

"You write?"

"Yeah, I'm actually a full-time short story writer. I don't technically need to work another job but I do this part time to gather inspiration and to get out of the house for a little bit."

"Wow that's so cool," I say breathlessly.

"I never thought I would remember it but thanks to you, I think I have my next piece in the works," she says excitedly.

"I'm glad I could help," I smile.

"Thank you Matt."

My name coming from her makes me all jittery.

"You're welcome Audrey," I say.

I notice a tiny bit of pink rising in her cheeks as she scanned it. She gave it to me and I accidentally brushed my hands against hers, sending the cliche electricity throughout my hand and arm.

"Thanks," I say smiling at her and turning around and walking towards the door.

Don't be a bitch. Do it.

I bite my bottom lip and turn around again, I see Audrey looking at me. She seemed surprised to see me walking back to her and started fidgeting with her hands.

"Um, do you think I could get your number?" I rush out, once I make it to her desk.

She giggled and smiled brightly.

"Of course."

August 14, 2023 01:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.