0 comments

Science Fiction

Start your story with a description of the cold, using lots of sensory details.

           It's starting again, thank God. The sun is coming out less and less and the few slithers of snow flakes are increasing. The midnight sun is disappearing. Some hate the dark, some hate the cold, some are afraid of wild animals, some shouldn't live here then. It's almost time for him to make his choice. Hell, I'll go anywhere in the line as long as I get to be in the line. See, I love the feeling of snow on my pack paw pads. Y'all got fingers, wes got nails, claws, and claw pads. See, no one wants to be left out. Imagine you were a kid and everyone got to play softball and you weren't picked. You were forced to stay home. Would you like that? Maybe now it'll make sense to y'all. But, there are different types of snow and these peoples gots different names for the different types of snow so they know what the fuck is going on. 

           See, there's soft falling snow which sticks to each other. This is the best snow. It ain't dangerous and's easy to travel through. Then, there's fast soft snow. The problem with fast soft snow is it makes white haboobs and we can't see nothing. But, us hounds are okay, since we can smell, hear, touch, and sense. We know when and where danger's lurking about. We can sense it. Like, y'all know when you get the feeling like someone specific's gonna call you and then the phone rings . . . well, nowadays with cell phones it's easy, but people used to know with land lines and no caller ID. I'm a smart little puppy. 

           Then, there's frozen rain shit. It's not exactly hail. Hail hurts, but it's rain that starts as rain, but freezes in the air below the clouds. It's like acupuncture with ice. Then, there's the mixed shit. Some snow's small, some snow's big, some's frozen rain, some's hail, and no one knows what the hell's going on, but I can ride through it. Hell, I can lead through it, if he'll let me. Pick me. 

           Then, there's the hail, what I call big balls. I hate hail. See, you can't duck or dodge it, 'cause it's everywhere and I'm attached with the other dogs. He's all buddled up, but with the wind factor, it even gets some of us shivering, but we keep moving and wagging our tails. See, the first race was to get a syrum through to a dying child and then it became a tradition. 

           Then, there's the white ice. Y'all probably heard of black ice when you's be driving. You're driving along smooth, it's raining or snowing, and the car glides and y'all call that black ice 'cause it's on pavement. But, up here, there ain't no roads.  So, it's ice on snow. We still slide. We's all get scared, but we slide through it, keep going, and pray there ain't no break in the ice.

           Maybe y'all never heard of ice breaks. See, according to some scientists, Earth is getting warmer. It's still cold as the dickens, here, but shit's happening. And, we's used to be able to sled and slide and nothing'd ever happen, but there be less icebergs now and sometimes the white roads crack and we's go dip in the cold water. The water on me fur is worse than snow, but I shack it off, our master always gets us all outta the water, and our fur freezes. But, our body heat takes care of it after 15 minutes and we're off again. See, eskimos only have fifteen minutes to make an igloo if they ain't got no jacket or they'll freeze to death. We all also gotta eat, piss, shit, fuck. Y'know, normal stuff. 

           So, sometimes we break, get off the sled rope, and camp. Our master talks to us, plays with us. Hell, we all sleep in bundles to keep ourselves warm. But, it's better than being stuck at home. See, this is what we're bred to do. We love ice, snow, cold. When humans ship us to warm places, we pant and bitch and pray to be somewhere cold again. 

           Us dogs have a better sense or smell and a better sense of sense than y'all humans. See, we can smell the insects in the air and know which are annoying like fleas and tics, which are dangerous, like fire ants and killer bees, and which are harmless, like flies. They all make different sound when they're flying or walking 'cause of the size of their legs or wings. My master tells me when the world ends, the only thing that'll survive'll be the cochroaches. They don't taste very good; cockroaches.  We also be smart enough not to lick the water off the ground since we's know we's lose our tongues if we's did that. We be careful how cold our water is when our master gives it to us from his thermos. 

           But, soon, he's be putting back the ropes on us all and we's be pulling more. I pray I'll get to be the lead this time and I fight the dog who was the last lead, but our master breaks us up and puts me in second position, which is better than fourth position. So, we's be pulling and we's come across a white bear. Damn it. White bears be bad, 'cause we can hear them in the snow, but can't always see 'em. They's be looking to expand they's territory since their home be melting away. They's also be more hungry than before the melts and they see me, our team, and our master, and they think it be meal time.

           Now, us dogs be different than y'alls humans. Y'all just think about defending yourself and who gives a shit about the person next to you, but our pack is our family. It ain't every dog for him/herself, it's come together and fight this motherfucker. Better to die than lose our pack. Our master tries to steer us away, but we's be brave dogs and we's go after this damn white bear together. We's growl, bark, show off our sharp teeth, but this motherfucker be hungry and attack us. Then, our master do something real weird. He jumps off the sled. Man, humans be cowards. 

           But, then, our master takes our master goes toward the motherfucking bear and takes out his fish knife. When he be catching fish, he bones the fish with his fish knife and he attacks the white monster, but the white monster dodges and bites our master. We come to defend our master, but the white bear pushes us and we feel the white ice. And our master be bleeding a lot and swinging his knife a lot. What we all gonna do with no master. Wes try running back, but keep sliding in the wrong way. Then, we hear our master scream and then there's silence. The white bear makes chomping noises, the hard hail starts, and us dogs whimper.  

December 02, 2023 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.