0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

His eyes opening, a yawn escaping him as he stretches his arms. Sitting up he pulls the blanket off of him. Swinging his legs off the bed he walks off down the hallway. Rubbing his eyes another yawn escapes him. Opening the bathroom door he lets his hand fall from his eye, he looks up. His eyes catch his own in the the mirror. He freezes. A sleek black dress clings to his body not leaving much to the imagination. A slit follows up his leg to his upper thigh giving his legs room to breath in the tight fabric. Blue sapphire gem-stones dust his collar bone and around his temples before following the thick but elegant eyeliner that frames his eyes. Eyeing himself up and down he swallows, "Damn, I look fine." He chokes out surprised. 

He didn't remember touching alcohol, drugs even, so he has no clue how he got into this situation considering he didn't even own a dress. Stopping his train of thought his phone rings violently from his bedside table where it was plugged in. Leaving the doorway of his bathroom, without checking the caller ID he answers. "Hello, This is Sam, how may I help you." He sings out. Looking down at the dress he rubs his fingers through the silk textured dress. His bosses voice filters through the phone.

"Sam where are you? The meetings starting in 10 minutes, you better be here soon!" Sam freezes, the meeting? What meeting? Oh wait, the meeting with their investors. Sam threw his phone on the bed trying to grab the zip on the back. There was a zip on the back right? That's how dresses work? Struggling to reach his back he grunts out in annoyance.

"I'm just getting dressed sir I'll be there, on time." He tacks the last bit on as a second thought.

"GETTING DRESSED? WHERE WAITING ON YOU, THIS MEETINGS IMPORTANT!" A sharp intake of air was heard from the other side soon followed by a sigh of disappointment. "Just be here on time, at least the investor is also not here." The call quickly ends. Getting to work trying to find the zip he runs to the bathroom. looking over his shoulder to see where it was located in the mirror, finally being able to see the entirety of his back he notices the dress doesn't have a zip he laughs. Guess I am an idiot, he thinks. Trying to pull the dress of of his body it didn't even budge, sticking like glue to his body, he try's to lift it off it it stays still. The dress was nice but the meeting was more important he thinks as he heads of to the kitchen grabbing the small knife from his draw to cut it off.

The dress wouldn't cut. It was made of fabric why wasn't it cutting?! He panics a little. Maybe the knife was blunt? Touching his finger to the blade it cuts threw his skin. "Nope, not blunt!" he hisses in pain. Sucking on his finger, to stop the blood from spilling, he tosses the knife into the sink. Using his free hand he searches for a Band-Aid. Finding one he straps his finger up. He needed to get this dress off of him. Maybe he could just remove the make up and deal with the consequences of the dress? Heading back to his bathroom he grabs the cloth, wetting it and adding a little soap he scrubs at his eyes trying to remove the eyeliner. The soap gets in his eyes causing him to drop the cloth. Cradling his eye he calls out. "GOD DAMNIT!" Grabbing his towel he dabs at his eyes before looking up into the mirror. The eyeliner wasn't even affected. Trying again but more gently he scrubs at the wing of the eyeliner. Not even smudging he gives up. Maybe he can start a trend or for gender equality? Putting on some sneakers he grabs his suitcase and keys. Leaving his apartment he heads down the stairs walking towards his car. 

He finally pulls up to the building the conference was taking place in, he enters. Walking up to the receptionist he receives an odd look but nothing said. I mean I did show up in a ball dress. No time remaining he swings open the conference rooms door to be met face to face with their investor. She's wearing pajamas that look exactly the same as his pair he swore he fell asleep in last night. A grey flannel shirt with matching pants. Smiling he laughs "we have the same paj-" He gets cut off

"You! Oh my, I'm so happy I found you. I thought I never would find you considering the fact that I had this pesky meeting today and another right after. Thank the lords that I found you." The women that was wearing the pajamas said. She had massive eye bags situated under the pair of soft brown eyes that where going glassy with tears. Sitting him down in a chair from across him, she started telling him how last night at a party she had been watching two people flirting. A women had slid into the seat next to her looking her up and down. Asking if she wanted to make a bet with her she had agreed thinking it was about the two in front of them. The lady then preceded to tell her how if she didn't find the person she would swap with in 24 hours she would be stuck in what ever they had been wearing at the time. Suddenly unsure if it was a great idea she had tried to back out but had been told she couldn't as she had already agreed. She had gone to ask more questions about what they had meant by swapped with but the women had already disappeared. she had tried looking for them but they where no where to be seen. Frustrated she went to the bathroom to get away from the noise but when she entered she caught what she looked like in the mirror. The dress she was wearing was gone and in its place where the pajamas. She had left the party after that and started searching for the person but considering the choice of clothes she presumed they had already gone to bed. Cutting her losses she went to bed hoping it had all been a bad dream.

Nodding along he stood up abruptly stretching his hand out for a hand shake he smiles. "Nice to meet you I'm Sam Fletching." Reaching over she shook his hand. "Kelly Walmeth nice to meet you." She smiled back. In a flashing light, as cliché as that may sound there clothes had found there rightful owner. 

"ha guess you won" Sam chuckled feeling the cotton of this his sleepwear rub against his skin comfortably.

"Guess we did" she smiled back. Heading to leave she, throws a look over her shoulder. "My moneys on you, ill see you at the next business meeting." and with that she left the room, door closing elegantly behind her.

Turning to his boss Sam's smile grows wider. "WE GOT THE INVESTMENT!" He cheers. Boss smiling at him even though he had no clue what just happened.

May 13, 2022 13:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.