0 comments

Contemporary Romance Teens & Young Adult

To: Keenan Meyer < intimatecreationz@gmail.com >

From: Katrina Lopez < katlopez321@gmail.com >

Hello! I hope this email finds you well. 

I’ve purchased items from you before, many of which I see are no longer on your site. It’s been several years since then, so I figured some things wouldn’t be available anymore, but I had high hopes. One in particular was your crystal people globe; I can’t remember the exact name, but it was about the size of a small cantaloupe and looked like a snowglobe, only without the water. The two people you personalized inside looked like frosted glass or something. Starting price was $50 and increased based on the level of personalization.

Anyway, that item is, to this day, the best purchase I’ve ever ordered, and the best gift I’ve ever given. Is there any way I can place a special order? Thanks so much!

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez < katlopez321@gmail.com >

From: Keenan Meyer < intimatecreationz@gmail.com >

Hi Kat,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Unfortunately, I don’t make those anymore for personal reasons. I hope you understand.

Please check out my other gift ideas; you might like the People Plant Vases. If none satisfy, you may want to find another seller.

Cheers,

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Kat Lopez

Oh no. I thought that’d be the case.

Thank you so much. Have a nice day.

Kat

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

Hi again, sorry to bother. 

I checked everywhere and haven’t found another online store that sells anything similar. I’ve researched the Internet inside out and asked everyone I know for suggestions, but no one has the slightest clue of what I’m looking for.

Here’s the thing. I ordered that gift for my older sister’s twenty-first birthday years ago and she absolutely loved it. I sent in a photo of her and I back when I first ordered, and you made the crystal people inside the globe look just like us; she studied a book in her hands (you got the glasses PERFECT) and I held out a glass of wine with my arms crossed next to her. 

My sister passed away in a house fire last week. Everything was lost, including that globe.

I’m not guilt-tripping by any means, but I hope you understand why this matters so much to me. Her funeral is two Fridays from now and I wanted to display the globe there.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez 

From: Keenan Meyer

Hi Kat,

I’m sorry to hear that. My wife and I started this business eight years ago with the intent of creating keepsakes that would strengthen bonds with families and couples. I’m happy to hear it did just that for you and your sister.

While I’d love to fulfill your request, I simply can’t for the mere fact that four years ago, my wife also passed away. She and I worked hard on these creations, and I’m afraid without her, I can’t recreate that product.

If I could suggest anything to you, it would be to make a collage with all your favorite pictures. Wishing you the best.

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

Oh wow…I didn’t expect to hear that. I’m so, so sorry for your loss. Losing someone you love has to be the worst experience in the world.

It might be unprofessional to ask this, but how did you cope with the pain? I feel so numb right now. We were best friends. My parents are on the older side and too devastated to really comfort me through my own grief. I’m planning the funeral all alone. It sucks. My friends are at the age where they’re traveling, beginning new relationships, or starting new careers and frankly, are too busy to extend arms of empathy. My pain is bringing them down and I’m fully aware of it.

Sorry, TMI. This probably means I need to journal for myself somewhere.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

I remember that feeling. It might be unprofessional to say this, but I’m here if you need to process. It does get more manageable with time, and I wish I could say things get better, but grief just becomes a part of you. Some days it shows, other days it doesn’t. But think of it like a new injury or ailment you acquired that required, say, surgery, or treatment. You’ll heal. But traces of the injury still ache from time to time. Sometimes, you merely ignore it.

I’m myself again, I’d say. Slowly, I’ve been catching up on the things that make me smile. Not sure if you noticed, but the business fell off for a while.

I don’t make those globes anymore solely because it feels like going backwards. But if you’d like, I can still attempt to put something together. I’ll expedite it so it makes it to the funeral in time. That okay?

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

You said that so well. As scary as everything sounds, you give me some sliver of hope in this whole tragedy.

Oh my goodness, are you sure? That’s so sweet of you! Honestly, that’s the nicest thing anyone’s done since this whole tragedy happened. 

I would love that. Thank you times infinity.

Kat

Four Months Later…

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Kat Lopez

Hey Keenan! I hope you’re doing well!

I meant to personally write you after the globe came in, but the emotions were too overwhelming and I sort of holed up in my apartment for weeks after the funeral…

Thank you again. It meant more than you know.

Kat

To: Katrina 

From: Keenan Meyer

Hey Kat! I was just thinking about you the other day. 

Mind if I break the professional barrier again? 

I thought I’d inform you that my sales have increased dramatically since I started making those globes again. I was a little rusty at first, but you truly brought back my passion for creating them. I loved knowing how much it meant to you and it reminded me of why I started. I thought I couldn’t create them after my wife’s passing, but I want her legacy to live on.

If you ever need anything again, don’t hesitate to reach out. :)

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

That’s great to hear! :) Your business deserves to thrive with the amount of soul you pour into it.

I guess this is a little off topic, but I’m thinking of starting a service (free) for those who’ve lost someone close to them. I think it’d be nice to bring origami to funeral services, have everyone write their favorite memory of the person who passed on, and then fold them into flowers to create a memorial bouquet. 

You’re the artist here, what do you think?

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

That’s an amazing idea :) I’m more than happy to share some of my resources with you. Also know, self-care is important while partaking in such an emotionally heavy task.

Also, I like the new profile picture. The red hair looks great on you!

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

…oh man. You actually just made me blush over an email.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

I apologize, that was unprofessional.

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

Not at all. I haven’t really smiled this big in months… :) 

We’ve broken professionalism once before, haven’t we? Might I add that when I first ordered my sister’s keepsake several years ago, I thought you were very handsome. Blue eyes and shy smiles really get me. And you base your art in emotion and human connection? Are you even real?

I’m glad you weren’t a bot. AI’s really taken over the world.

Too strong?

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

I’m a catfish. Men my age shouldn’t use filters, but I understand the need to hide the eyebags this life layers on you. 

Well, blue eyes are real. My skin has more acne scars than sales.

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

I love your vulnerbility. 

Also, I’m not sure what music you listen to, but I went to this super fun concert the other night; here are some videos! Maybe it’ll inspire a new line of creations for your shop :) 

That’s me in the white top and black skirt… ;) that’s my childhood best friend with the beautiful afro and lip piercings.

How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? 

PS…it’s so hot over here in California. How’s it over in Seattle? (Yes, I paid attention to where you shipped from…I’m not a stalker, just a little curious…)

Kat 

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

Definitely coming on a little strong, now…haha. I try my best to be respectful, so all I’ll say is you look stunning. I love all music, but the electronic from the videos you sent takes it for me. Send me a playlist?

Seattle’s Seattle. Rainy. Eh.

I’m twenty-eight. 

Also, have you checked your mail lately? On my end, it says a package was delivered.

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

No freaking way. You’re insane! And you stole my idea!

I absolutely love this. Are the little origami flowers all about my sister? How’d you even get in touch with people to write things about her? A pink and red paper bouquet is definitely the way to go.

Also, I’m twenty-five; I’m glad you’re not a 40-year-old catfish.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

The notes aren’t about your sister. That’d be a little strange, don’t you think? :P 

Each note is a reminder to help you get through the hard days. I wrote them based on things I repeated to myself when I struggled through grief. They’re just notes of encouragement, like ‘you are strong enough to get through this,’ ‘give yourself time,’ and so on. It’s not much and might not even help, but I wanted to remind you: you aren’t alone.

And I’m glad you’re of age; maybe I’ll ditch the Seattle rain for some drinks beachside in California. :) 

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

Wow. You are absolutely the sweetest.

I can’t believe I met you over email. Listen, I’ve met my fair share of shallow men, so I’d be more than happy to show the deeper side of the ocean…. ;)

Lord knows I’m terrible with words. I rewrote that line and deleted it so many times, but we’re going with it. You need to see my cringey side. I’m very awkward in person. If you don’t email me back, I’ll understand why. :’)

Also, I didn’t want to step on your toes, but I can’t help but wonder…am I interfering with your healing process? I didn’t know how to ask the question…I just remember you mentioned a wife…and…I just want to be respectful.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

Men can be very shallow--and so much worse. You’ve given them too much credit. Including me. I just feel that humans should empathize with one another, man to woman or woman to man, human to human. Everyone deserves empathy.

You aren’t interfering. I’ll always hold a special place for my wife, and I’d hope you’d respect that. But I’m also open to any new chapters I encounter. We’ve both sustained trauma and uniquely understand each other. 

My wife passed in a car accident. Not to get much into it, but Seattle’s felt extra rainy since she left this place.

Don’t worry about me, though. I really do enjoy talking to you.

BTW, I’ve attached some videos of my view from the Space Needle. Isn’t the city beautiful at night? If you ever want to visit, you’ve got a pretty knowledgeable tour guide. ;p

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

OMG. It’s gorgeous over there! I’m holding you to that offer.

I’m emailing you from my desk at work. I don’t think I told you, I’m a Vet Tech? It’s been a little chaotic today; we lost a puppy during surgery and it’s really getting to me. A little triggering with everything…you know? I’m taking a break so I could email you; you’re honestly the first person I could think of to message.

On that note, I like you a lot…is that unusual? We haven’t even met. I don’t even know what you sound like. You could think I have the most annoying voice. I hate to admit, I laugh like a squirrel.

I’m exaggerating. Someone brought a squirrel in today and we had to send them away. It’s not that kind of clinic.

Kat

To: Katrina Lopez

From: Keenan Meyer

I’m sorry, Kat. I wish I could be there to bring you coffee. Feel free to use the barcode I attached to get yourself one. :) 

Well, it’s been a month we’ve been emailing back and forth; I don’t think it’s unusual at all. The fact that you’re a Vet intrigues me even more.

However, I’d love the chance to talk to you. Gotta hear that laugh ;p

What do you say we take this conversation from email to the phone? (206) xxx-xxxx.

:) 

Keenan

To: Keenan Meyer

From: Katrina Lopez

I thought you’d never ask, Mr. Businessman. 

I truly can’t believe how many emails we’ve exchanged in a matter of months.

Honestly, behind the screen, I’ve shed many tears while typing out these emails. I frequently stare at the globe sitting on my desk and feel the weight of my sister’s loss all over again. Except I think of your loss, too, and I can’t help but wonder why tragedy sometimes strikes some people more than others. Then I think about how loss makes you lose people who are still living, yet also brings you people you never thought you’d connect with.

I’m so grateful to have met you, Keenan. I wish it hadn’t been through sadness, but I’m also happy something beautiful still managed to find me. I know not everyone gets that blessing, which makes this connection to you so special.

I’m off work at six tonight. We have the same time zone, so expect me to call you around eight. :) 

I look forward to finally hearing your voice. I hope you like mine.

Kat <3

February 13, 2024 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.