Chocolatevia

Submitted into Contest #133 in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Holiday Fiction

There is no better aroma than that of chocolate. The way it envelopes you like a warm hug, like the warmth of a fire on a chilly night. The scent alone makes even the most disciplined eaters crave for it. Fragrant like the comfort of home, chocolate has the ability to induce feelings of content, putting you at ease. Chocolate is my romance, my religion, my life. 

I walk into Chocolatevia and lighten as cream and butter, vanilla and caramel and cocoa, toasted nuts and dried fruit, all swirl in the warm air around me and I am home. It is less than two weeks away from Valentine’s Day and the shop is full. A dozen or so patrons rush around looking for the perfect gift, something to say I am thinking of you and I love you. That is not why I came so I slowly make my way around. A few minutes after I enter Nick notices me near the front and gives me a half smile in greeting. His movie star teeth peek out just a bit, surrounded by dark stubble peppered with gray. The smile meets his eyes making his olive skin crinkle adorably around his dark brown eyes, and I involuntarily smile broadly back. 

I feel him still gazing at me as I turn back to my browsing. Chocolate is what I come here for. Chocolatevia is a block away from my apartment. I am in here so often I could probably walk this store blindfolded and still know where everything is. Usually I just pick what I want that day and go so I am thankful for the crowd. It allows me to blend in, just one of the many, and take my time reading every label. Milk chocolate, hazelnut praline and the crunch of finely crumbled cookies. Intense dark chocolate filled with Himalayan salted caramel and smooth truffle filling. Delicious fruity violet and vanilla flavored filling in perfect harmony with ruby chocolate. I can feel the creaminess, taste the flavors, as I read each one. The next display has assorted chocolates in heart shaped boxes; I notice Nick watching me from behind the counter, talking to a man holding a narrow gold box, as I pass by the display. I give a small smile and look away quickly as I start for the other side of the shop.

The crowd has started to thin. There are only a handful of us left now, the store will be closing in twenty minutes so everyone is selecting their purchases and making their way to the counter. I do the same as I am now in my favorite part of the store. I select my usual milk chocolate pellets, an occasional morning indulgence to lift my mood while I write from my desk overlooking the city. The pellets get melted in warm milk making rich, thick hot chocolate. More flavorful and decadent than those watery hot chocolate packets from the grocery store. Next I choose the sugar-free dark chocolate tablet which fulfills my daily need for chocolate. This chocolate is made in store, bean to bar by Nick himself. Last is the chocolate dipped biscotti, also made by Nick. These treats make me wonder what else a man like that can do in the kitchen.

I take my place in line, third and last in the shop. The sun is setting and through the store front windows it is casting a warm glow inside. I admire how it shines on the gold foils of the chocolate boxes; how it deepens the red of the hearts. Lost in thought, basking in the warmth from the heater, the smell of the chocolates, and the setting sun, I don’t notice when the man at the counter leaves. The brisk chill rushes in as the man opens the door to leave, jolting me from my day dream. I inch forward as the man in front of me places his items on the counter. Nick makes small talk about the gifts, they’re for the man’s wife of 22 years, while the man talks lovingly about his wife. “Do you have someone special to give some of this chocolate to?” the man asks Nick. “Nope, still a bachelor.” Nick tells the man, glancing back to me long enough to make my breath catch; I can already feel the heat rising in my cheeks. The older man in front of me just chuckles as he makes payment and Nick bags his items. As he turns to leave he looks at me with a knowing smile and makes for the door. Lovely, if Nick’s glance didn’t make my face flush the man’s smile is going to.

I am the last customer left; we are now alone in the store. With steady breaths I fake a calm composure as I place my items on the glass counter. In the case there are individual bonbons of assorted flavors and shapes. I focus on those, feeling Nick’s eyes on me. He hasn’t even spoken to me yet and I am behaving like a pre-teen with a crush, it’s no wonder I am single if I am failing at a social interaction I technically wasn’t even involved in. I force myself to look up and I was right, Nick is looking at me. His chin is lowered, looking up from lowered lashes, his mouth turned up on one side in a grin. I can’t tell if he’s laughing at me or flirting. “Find everything ok?” Like I’m not in here enough to know the store like the back of my hand. “Yep” I blurt out a little too loud. This is going great; why is this turning into the most awkward interaction we’ve ever had?!

“I’d ask if this is a Valentine’s gift but it looks like your usual.” he says, that grin getting bigger, eyes laughing. At me or flirting, I still don’t know.

I have a usual. I definitely come in here too much. Does he think it’s for him or just the chocolate? “I come in here too much if you know what my usual is. I probably need to cut back then.” I say with a smile.

“I hope you don’t, I’d miss seeing you.” Ok, we’re definitely flirting. 

“It’s too hard to resist.” I reply. “I love chocolate and live just down the street so it's hard not to come in.” attempting to make it sound nonchalantly coy. 

Nick’s eyebrows shoot up, eyes wide as they light up. “Do you really?” he replies, full smile now, not even trying to hide his excitement at the news. My face heats again. “Yeah, my apartment is only a block away.” Nick holds his stare for a minute too long as if he is trying to think of the perfect reply. Words fail him so he slowly starts scanning my items. While scanning, still looking down, he asks if I’ve ever tried the Italian place next door. My mouth drops open but I don’t respond right away. I pause for a moment longer than I realize, and Nick looks up at me. “Yeah, I get take out from there all the time” and give him my biggest, but not desperate, ‘ask me on a date’ smile. It works and he grins hesitantly, “Would you like to go to dinner there Friday night?”. Yes, please. Absolutely. “I’d love to.” I reply, meeting his gaze and still smiling too big. 

Nick bags my items and walks me to the door holding them. “I put my card in the bag, my cell is on it” he says handing me the bags and going to open the door. I grab for the strings and our fingers meet; he holds on, fingers touching, for a moment before he lets go and walks through the door holding it open. I follow, pausing in the doorway. We are now inches apart, both of us stopped in the small doorway. I look up, my eyes meeting his mouth, so close I’d only have to tilt my head up and my mouth would be touching his. I take a breath and meet his eyes. “See you Friday” I say softly with a small smile and head down the street to my apartment. 

February 18, 2022 20:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.