0 comments

Drama Friendship High School

Hello, my name is Roger. You probably don't recognize me; I'm in my first year of college, and it's already been a month. I wasn't as enthusiastic as the other guys about meeting new people and making friends. I'm the type of guy who hides his existence because I doesn't want others to see me. I've always wished for invisibility so that no one would notice me. Ironically, I have a friend named Tony who is quite popular in my class. It is difficult for me to keep a friend like him, yet he chooses me while everyone else ignores me. He is the one who has always stuck by me, no matter how difficult things have become. He will not abandon me, and neither will I. I admire him the most for who he is and how he always acts in accordance with his heart.

"I want to be someone like you," I told Tony one day while out walking. "Not for your fame, but for the character and what you built of. You never hesitate and always follow your instincts, and I will become someone like you."

Tony paused for a bit before turning to face me and said, "I admire you a lot, no matter how inept or hesitant you are, you always strive hard to overcome any obstacles, you can become someone greater than I am."

This chat made me realize that he saw further into me than I did, that he understands my potential, and that he has always been a moral supporter to me.

Tony draws girls like light attracts flies, and I won't approach him when he's with a group of them. He insisted on talking to them, but I never cared because I prefer to keep my social circle small. But then one day he grabbed my arm and introduced me to a girl named Maxie. Tony made some hand gestures to her and then walked away, ignoring my attempts to stop him. Then I understood Maxie cant speak, although she didn't appear to be. My heart skips a beat as I gaze into her eyes, and this is the first time I've ever experienced such sentiments and sensations .She is not the most attractive girl in my class, but she appears to me to be a glowing angel, and her eyes spoke more words and her eyes and hearing functioned at twice their normal capacity, which is how she was able to keep up with us. With all of these thoughts racing through my mind, I realized I was frozen in place, staring into her eyes like a statue. She shook my shoulder and gave me a panic attack, and my heart began to race, and I collapsed to the ground like a lifeless statue. Before I closed my eyes, I saw her scared face, which is also as beautiful as hell.

When I opened my eyes, Maxie and Tony were staring at me, and then they began to laugh even louder. It was a little awkward, but this is Roger. After a loud chuckle, Maxie regained control and approached me, making some hand gestures ,before Tony arrived to translate i realised that she wanted to know how I was doing. That was my first encounter with Maxie.

As time passed, I began to notice her more regularly, but I am still unable to declare that I have a crush on her. I admired her character and acts but lacked the courage to approach her; I am still the same introvert who struggles to maintain relationships. When I told Tony how I felt about Maxie, he smirked and said that love leaves no one alone, and he insisted that I speak to her, but I waited for the appropriate opportunity.

Our class was going on a field trip to a neighbouring forest to set up camp so we could get to know each other, something I usually despise, but this time was different, and I was looking forward to it. Everything was ready for the tour on the day of the tour, and everyone boarded the bus. Maxie was in the front seat, and I and Tony were four seats behind her. Tony has some expertise with this, and he advised me on how to avoid blowing up. As we are approaching near our camp site all of a sudden  a drunken car collided with our bus, our bus began to dive onto the roadside, which was a short slope. After two rolls, the bus was on the verge of making another roll. Everyone was upside down, and it took a few minutes for me to restore consciousness. I searched for Tony, who was already standing. Others who regained consciousness and stood up began to rush out the bus, and I urged Tony to exit, but he began to search for those who were injured and unconscious. At this point, I remembered Maxie and went looking for her. She was asleep, and blood was dripping from her forehead; she looked like a bleeding angel. My mind were racing, and my heart begged me to save her, but my body couldn't move for no reason, with all that blood , screams and the rattling of the bus triggered a panic attack, and I sat down on the ground, closing my ears and eyes. When I turned around with a terrified expression, a hand grabbed my back, and Tony stood there with blood pouring from his skull, asking for my assistance in saving others. I'm not sure if I can do it.

"I know this is not what we expected and you are not ready for this, but for the sake of Maxie and me, you must assist me, I know you won't give up on me," Tony says as he holds me up.

When I put Maxie in my arms, she opened her eyes a little and stared into my eyes before falling back. After that, I took her outside and looked for help, but no one seemed to be recovering from their terror, so the instructor summoned the ambulance and police. Because we were in a remote place, it would take some time for help to arrive.

When I turned around to look for Tony, he was out with the last person and had passed out. I dashed for Tony and whisked him away just as the ambulance arrived. I had a hand injury as well, so Tony and I were both admitted to adjoining beds. We were given a few days off once we were released from the hospital. I was concerned about Maxie, but I received word that she was fine.

When we went to college for the first time after this occurrence, I was surprised to see that as soon as I walked into the room with Tony, everyone rushed up to me and congratulated me for saving others and assisting them. Furthermore, Maxie came up to me and hugged me, her eyes brimming with gratitude, and my heart was leaping for joy. When I went looking for Tony, he winked and grinned at me, as if he was glad for me. Then I realized no one was talking about Tony, who is the true hero of the affair. I puked Maxie and put on a fake smile before moving on to Tony and apologizing for taking his thanks, but he explained that I overcome my inner fear more than him, but I knew I didn't deserve it. The sessions continued as students and teachers applauded and complimented me for my actions, and I was speechless since there was so much to take in for someone like me.To make matters worse, after lunch, my principal called me to congratulate me on my actions, and as I stood before him, he lavished praise on me to the point when my guilt overpowered me, and I went to the restroom without asking the principal and slammed the door. It's a lot to take in for an introvert like me to transform into someone after all these days as no one who didn't deserve it. If Tony were in this circumstance, he would undoubtedly tell everyone the truth; I felt bad for keeping this fact hidden for so long, but I was hiding the truth with the fear that if Maxie finds out I didn't save her, she would look the same as she does now;

After all, this year I fell for a love relationship, but what would happen if the truth came out? I've always admired Tony and aspired to be like him, but if I don't do the right thing, it's all for naught.

I've made up my mind that no matter what happens, I won't be the same person I was before this incident, and the truth must be out. I dashed to the principal's office, where he was surprised to see me return without saying anything. I snatched the microphone that will be used to make announcements. Without thinking twice, I informed what happened during that incident, who I was before and who I am now, and that I did not save Maxie, knowing that she could hear me. I then stepped out to my class without looking at the principal. Tony was surrounded by students as I entered the room, and he gave me a pitying look, but I was pleased with what I had accomplished. I was back to square one as those students who had first praised me now had a disgusted look on their faces when they saw me. I looked at Maxie, who had a confused look on her face.She wanted to say something, but I couldn't bear looking into her eyes again.

I begged for the day to end quickly, and as Tony and I headed towards our house, someone grabbed my hand from behind, and before I could respond, Maxie hugged me and gave me a look that crushed me. I should have saved her on my own, but I hesitated. I was embarrassed and began to blabber something to apologize, I was like a crying baby, but then I felt a sweet kiss on my lips, soft as feathers, and her eyes were so near to mine. I was flying without wings, and before I could return to the present, she drew back and shoved a letter through my fingers, then bolted away, her cheeks flushed. Before I knew what had happened, Tony was laughing and telling me welcomes to committed club  and that I was no longer in a position to hear what he was saying.

When I returned home, I read the letter, which stated, "I know what you are and who you are, I began to love you the instant we met, and with your panic episode, I recognized you felt something different with me." I was surprised when you revealed the truth, but when I asked Tony about what happened that day, I recognized how hard you're trying to overcome your inner concerns and how much effort you're putting in. I love you for who you will be in the future, not for who you were in the past.

Then the next phase of my life begins.

November 26, 2021 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.