0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Coming of Age

In a small country town out in the middle of no where sits a log cabin. Just out side of the town no one knows who it. Belongs to no one ever goes near it the grass has never been cut. Some of the windows are broken high school kids dare each other. To go knock on the door no one ever makes it to the door.

Every Halloween older kids bring younger kids there to tell them ghost stories. No one knows the actual truth about this log cabin though. They tell the younger kids a witch use to live there. They just tell these stories to get a good scare out of the kids and a good laugh. Little did the know they are almost the truth.

The story goes back in the eighteen hundreds a young woman lived in this cabin. That was always accused of witch craft though she never practiced it. No one cared they still accused her with out even talking to her about it. One day the sheriff of the town got wind of the lie decided to confront her.

The sheriff arrested her took her off to the jail questioning her day and night . With no sleep or food for days many days go by. The sheriff finally leaves her alone to rest the rest of the town is in a up roar. With a witch in their town so the sheriff has to deal with the town leaving her to rest. The young woman tired and hungry as could be lays in the cell.

To tired to move or to cry because of all this she just prays. She honestly does not care who is listening. Because of her not caring out of the shadow of the cell comes a voice a very dark deep voice. Attached to the voice are very deep dark red eyes the voice says

The voice : ( Quite the predicament you are in young one.)

Young woman: ( Who. Who is that? Who is there?)

The voice: ( I am the answer to your prayer. But you can call Z.)

Young woman : ( Z that is it nothing else.)

Z : ( Yes that is it Amanda.)

Amanda: ( How do you know my name? )

Z: ( I told you I am the Answer to your prayer.)

Amanda: ( Well unless you can get me out of here. Plus give me magical powers so people leave me alone. The we have nothing else to talk about.)

Z : ( As you wish.)

Z disappears back into the shadows the lock on the cell clicks the door opens. Amanda is stunned she cant believe it as she sits there a whisper comes ( are you not going to leave?) Amanda gets up sneaks out while the sheriff is still talking to the town. Amanda makes it back to her house beings to board up everything so no one can get in. Which makes shadows every in her cabin so Z can come back which he does.

Z: ( I got you back home. What do you think about that.)

Amanda: ( I think it is awesome. But now I want to become what they think I am.)

Z : ( What a witch?)

Amanda: ( Yes a witch. I want to teach the all a lesson.)

Z beings pacing back and forth considering what she said.

Z : ( I will be right back do not go any where.)

Amanda sit on the couch waiting for Z to come back as she hears people screaming. The screams get closer and closer Amanda grows worried. That Z is not coming back and that she will be taken again. Then as if all her hopes are gone Z says.

Z: ( You will be granted all the power you want.)

Amanda: ( Z I thought you left me on my own.)

Z: ( why would you think that for?)

Amanda : ( Because you was gone for so long, and the people are coming after me.)

Z: ( Not to worry they will not get in here.)

Amanda: ( How do you know?)

Z: (I just do. Now drink this and all your dreams of power you will have.)

Amanda: ( What is this?)

Z: ( Do you want power or not? This will give it to you.)

Amanda not thinking any more about it thought of all the times. She went into town to buy groceries with all the looks she got. All the murmuring people did as the stops and stared at her. With one merchant yelling at her

(To leave they don’t want her kind there) as he threw apples at her.

She drank down the glass vial of bright red liquid Z smiling the whole time. As the last drop hits her tongue Amanda collapses to the floor. Z backs up into the shadow watching as the transformation takes place.

Amanda: ( What is happening to me?)

Z: ( What you wanted. You will have unlimited power but at a cost.)

Amanda: (What is the cost.)

Z: ( Immortality.)

Amanda looks in the direction of where Z is talking with a smile on her face says.

Amanda:( That does not sound so bad.)

Z: ( I will come back years from now. To see how you feel about it then after watching friends you make die.)

Z departs from the cabin leaving Amanda to figure thing out. Very quickly Amanda figures out how to use her new found power. She take her rage out on the town year after year after year. She comes to take her rage out on the town soon people. Stop moving to that town all because of the roomers that have spread. About Amanda with no one to take out her rage on.

She stays in her cabin Z stops by from time to time to talk to her. But Z does not come by to often because he feels her rage. He is a little afraid of her seeing her power growing over the years. Z has no idea how to contain her he watch’s her from the shadows. Biding his time for the right moment to fix his mistake one day she is fixing a potion. Z knows that this one will destroy everything he knows he has to act.

Z comes up with a plan putting it into motion when she is not looking. He adds stuff to the mix to mess it up then he retreats back to the shadow. When everything is done she begins he chant. To bring the power the potion needs to work as she chants. A light comes from cauldron then a blast of magical power spreads through the cabin. The shadows reach out grabbing Amanda pulling her in to lock her in the shadows.

Z comes out of a shadow in a corner watching Amanda being pulled in. Amanda screaming at Z when the shadows fully envelops her Z begins to speaks to her saying.

Z: ( You are put here to live out the remainder of time. You rage is to much you have grown to powerful to control your self.)

Amanda : ( I know you was going to do something. So I took precautions this cabin will stand for all time. As the years pass by I will bide my time one day a kid will release me.)

Z : ( How do you think that?)

Amanda : ( I do not think I know. The door is cursed it can not be broken by anything. Once a kids opens the door all curses made in here are broken.)

Z paces back and forth trying to figure something out to break that curse. There is no other way to do so Z has stayed for as long, as the house stood for in the shadows. Waiting for the one kids that plays the stupid game of knocking and opening the door.

That game went on for centuries till one day it almost worked. Z came from the shadows making a noise so the kid runs off. To this day Z stays to fight the games the kids play. To control the witch lays on the other side of the door lurking in the shadows. Waiting for the day that she can emerge to unleash her rage not only on the town. But the world next time you go to a house that looks like it has stood. For centuries be careful you never know what is.

  LURKING ON THE OTHER SIDE IN THE SHADOWS

May 02, 2021 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.