Wind In The Willows

Written in response to: Write a story titled 'The Wind in the Willows'.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Romance Historical Fiction



1930

The wind was cool that summer evening. The breeze gently whistled through the trees, zipping past leaves and bushes, leaving a slight stir of movement over each one. The willow trees swayed gently, whispering secrets that only the nature around them could hear. Lying in the wispy grass was a boy. He was about 15, with curly blond hair and bright blue eyes. His olive skin was darker than usual from the constant sun that beat down on him every day. He was staring up at the leaves, entranced by the pattern above him. The dying rays of sunlight from the setting sun filtered through the forest, painting it orange. The boy laid there until the peace was interrupted by light footsteps. He looked up to see a girl. She had golden blond hair and brown eyes that seemed to glow in the dark. She came to sit by him, smiling down at him softly. “Hey…” She murmured, keeping her voice low. He gazed into her eyes, feeling a flood of love and passion as he looked at her. “Hey…” He smiled. She laid back next to him, staring up at the canopy of leaves. He interlocked his fingers with hers gently, feeling safe when her soft skin touched his. He had calluses on his hands from heavy labor, and his face always seemed to have streaks of dirt and coal on it. The girl had pale skin that was clean and untouched, like a beautiful daisy. She never judged him for the way he looked like the other people did. She said he was beautiful too, and he hoped she was right. She pressed her head against his shoulder, humming softly. He recognised the song, because he had taught her it. She had laid in a place similar to here with him not long ago, asking him questions about his family, and things he liked. He had taught her this song, a hymn his mother had taught him. She didn’t understand the words, but she always begged him to sing it. He hoped one day she wouldn’t be the only one who heard him sing. His dream had always been to save up money and break into the world of music. He wanted to be the first mexican-american musician in the states. He didn’t want to work in the fields his whole life. He knew he was worth more. “Lily…” He looked at the girl, breathing in the floral scent that always surrounded her. “Yes?” She returned his gaze, with a loving look. “I love you..” he murmured. She smiled, gently kissing his forehead. “I love you too, Jenero..” She whispered. He laid there content. He wished this moment could last forever. If only it could.


Their love was forbidden. Her parents were rich white folk, who would never agree to it. Lily always said it was stupid. She believed that people should love who they love, no matter their skin color, or where they’re from. Jenero believed this too. If only the rest of the world got this logic. It felt like they were the only ones. Even Jenero’s parents didn’t believe this. They said they wished it was true, but they said it wasn’t. So they kept their love secret. They both snuck out at night to see each other. One day when he had enough money he would take her away from this place. They would lay in the grass together, whispering together late into the night, until the moon found its way into the center of the sky. When midnight arrived they would part ways, until the next night. It was exhausting, but completely worth it. Jenero yawned, running his fingers through Lily’s hair gently. “You're so beautiful..” he murmured. The moon lit her face just enough for him to see her blush. “You are too..” She replied. He shrugged a little, feeling like he could pop with all the joy he felt. This was his dream. To have this joy in him all the time. Lily’s gaze went a little dark and she frowned. “My father wants me to pick one of his suitors soon..” She said, fidgeting with her hands. It was something she always did when she was stressed, and he had learned to take note of it. “Are any of them handsome?” Jenero asked, a teasing tone in his voice. She rolled her eyes. “They’re all old,” She complained. She sighed. “I don’t want to get married if it's not you..” She stated. He felt the joking mood he was in fade. “It would be safer for you” She gave him a sharp look. “What do you mean?” He didn’t understand the look she was giving him, it was a mix of so much. “Well if you had a husband who was rich you’d at least be able to live comfortably-” She cut him off. “No. I don’t want to marry some old man I’ll never love” She argued, then her gaze softened. “Do you not want to be with me?” She looked hurt. Jenero immediately wished he could take his words back, feeling so stupid for saying them. “Of course not.” He took her face in his hands and locked eyes with her. “I would never dream of giving you away to any man. You are the light of my world. You are all I want in my life.” He promised, his tone dead serious. They stared at each other for a moment, and then she leaned in and kissed him. He’d never kissed someone before. The joy he felt in his chest was intense, and he felt so in love. He wanted this moment to never end. After a long moment that seemed to last forever they broke away, looking away, hearts racing. They’d just broken a rule that could get them killed. However, it was the best moment of Jenero’s life. After a moment they stared at each-other wide-eyed. Then she smiled, pressing her face against his chest. “I’ll never marry some old man. I’ll wait for you forever.”


April 30, 2024 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.