1 comment

Fiction Romance

I don’t know where to start. I guess the boat would should be the way to start the story, sir. See, my boat was my life and well, let me begin.

The day could have been better but with hopes for a breeze we set out under power. The water was grey, the sky was that kind of somber grey that sort of blended with the bay waters and it just didn’t look good for a sail, but I wanted to impress her, so off we went chugging along. Not even a swell, so the boat moved steadily without any yawing or anything like that. It was like we were driving a car, ya know. Flat. The only wind was generated by the engine pushing us forward.

Well, I headed for the island, Angel island, thinking if no wind we could at least go for a swim. On the lee side there is a cove, called Her Cove, for some unknown reason and it was protected by lots and lots of eucalyptus and fir, and fern. Perfect for romance and maybe perfect for no clothes. Unfortunately, there was another boat there already so I just anchored on the far side away from them. She was smiling at the setting and I was smiling at her.

Now what happened next was the thing. She said she didn’t have a swim suit but didn’t want to be naked with that other boat there. Binoculars were in the conversation. I gave her my undershirt that would cover her panties. She thought that was funny and took her shirt and bra off, to my surprise, right there in the cockpit. I told her what I thought of the beauty of her body. She smiled and I thought life was great. Then, she took her trousers and panties off. I must have been just standing there again surprised and in awe of her boldness and embarrassed at my timidness. She had to ask for my t-shirt, which I stripped off quickly and handed over. She slipped it on gave me a smile, climbed up on the cockpit seat and jumped clean over the life lines into the cove waters with hardly a splash.

When her head bobbed up with a wide smile I got my shorts off, went to the stern and dropped the swim ladder over. Then giving it a moment of thought I took my underpants off, sort of hiding my manhood in a subtle way. I don’t know, with my hand kind of acting like my elbow was stuck to my ribcage or something. Then I stood on the coaming, not looking to see if she was looking at my privates. There is nothing wrong with the size or anything I just got really shy. I jumped hearing part of her laugh as my head went underwater. When I came up she was there, right next to me. She put her arms around me as we slowly kicked to stay afloat.

I looked to see if there were binoculars trained on us as I took her in my arms and her legs wrapped around my midsection. The other boat was not where I thought it was. I told her to wait a minute as I looked around the cove. I thought maybe they were on the other side of my boat, so broke away from her to swim over to my stern. They weren’t on the other side of the boat, so I thought, maybe while we were going through the undressing they took off under sail or had a very quiet engine. I swam back to her and explained the boat was gone and said, we have the cove to ourselves. The t-shirt was making an impression on me.

We got back aboard with the stern ladder and I found her happily laying down on the starboard cockpit seat. I looked down at her fullness and felt soft in the heart. That’s when I heard the noise, a clanking noise and saw a grey military ship anchoring where the other boat had been. There were about four or five sailors walking around on the ship and one was pointing at our boat. I was sure they couldn’t see us down in the cockpit but I could see a couple of pairs of binoculars with the muted sun flashing reflections. The ship turned a bit with the current and they were getting hidden in the turn. I told her but she had already raised her head to see.

I was almost angry in my disappointment at the intrusion. She seemed almost astatic with a face of joy. She said let’s go see the boat. I said, hunh? Are you crazy? Why don’t we just go below and enjoy ourselves? She said she wanted to see that boat. I said, it’s full of sailors. She said, correct and with that pushed me away, climbed out of the cockpit exposing the wet t-shirt and waved to the sailors, who naturally waived back with accompanying catcalls and whistles and a whole bunch of gestures I was familiar with. But, she seemed to like it all. I started getting angry with her but calmed myself down and offered her a drink. I had some fruit juice below. She quickly turned to me and said that would be great. I went below and before I reached the bottom I heard a splash. I ran up the stairs to see her swimming toward the ship and the crew were throwing a boarding ladder over the side of the ship.

I stood there in the companionway not quite believing what was happening and even pinched my arm to see if I was awake. I was awake. She climbed up the ladder like an old hand and was met by real hands as I heard the chatter and laughter and then she just melded into their crowd as they all disappeared into a hatchway that was left open with only a rounded top blackness to show me. I waited thinking she would emerge and want me to motor over to rescue her but a couple of the guys came out shaking their heads in conversation that I could only hear a mumble of and I thought the worse that they had taken advantage of her but there was something about the way they sauntered around the boat checking on things, I guessed. They noticed me and waved sort of like a thank you kind of friendly wave.

I was now very angry with her, them, myself, the boat, the ship, the breeze that now sprung up. I went below and poured myself a tall glass of rum and gulped it down as what I thought I was supposed to do when so hurt. I heard clanking again and saw the ship pulling up her anchor and looked at it moving out of the cove. She was up at the wheelhouse hatchway, waving at me as they moved out on the bay. Then she blew me a kiss. The t-shirt was dry now.

I pulled up my anchor and set the sails and went out on the bay but could not see them anywhere.

July 23, 2023 11:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
15:59 Jul 29, 2023

Oh, well poor guy, right? It’s a pretty funny story if you think about how he really didn’t know the girl, but was thinking about the same thing that the sailors probably were. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.