0 comments

Drama Friendship Inspirational

You know what they say... one door closes and another one opens. I don't take a no for an answer. If I wanted something, I always found a way to get it. But often time I found that to be unlikely, especially right now. Nothing was going the way I planned and boom out of nowhere comes this girl. I didn’t have a crush on her, but it was something else that I was attracted too. She came at the worse and best time of my life. I just needed her to know her placement right here, right now.

Eric was one of my best friends, but he didn’t have a blueprint for his life. He wanted things to fall in his lap instantaneously. I knew that wasn’t going to be sustainable for him, – so I always tried to encourage him to apply for a job just to have something to fall back on. He always said I was too bossy. Many of times, teachers, peers, coworkers, and anyone who would look at us, would say that I needed to let him go. I couldn’t and I knew if I did then my life would just slowly fall apart. My relationship with Eric was strictly platonic, maybe one time in a past life we had a slight crush on each other, but we knew if that happened we wouldn’t be close.

My father worked two jobs. I didn’t see much of him until the following morning. Therefore my mornings were really fun, but coming home after a long day of filming was really lonely. Another reason I couldn’t let Eric go just yet. My dogs kept me busy, but they were mostly being watched by our neighbor. I just needed a change in my life and I wasn’t getting it on set.

I graduated two years ago. I had a plan that when I was done with school – I would head to Atlanta to pursue the path of film directing. I love movies, I love good directors who have an eye for a picture, anything else I missed? I needed to move, but my father thought that wouldn’t be a good idea. He said I needed to have a backup plan. I really didn’t care.

Atlanta was great for a month and then I realized Madison, Wisconsin was calling me home. So I moved back home, got in touch with Eric, we had a movie night, cried, and slept the time away. Something still wasn’t right...

On February 5, 2019, was the date that will forever be engraved in my subconscious memory...the day Eric finally got a job and would be moving away. Not just down the street, but out of the country. I feel a little betrayed. I knew Eric always wanted to work with animals, but he had kept this new goal from me. This whole time he had this facade of wanting things handed to him, but he was really working his ass off to get an opportunity to work with kangaroos in Australia. I was really hurt, but I didn’t want to tell him. I wanted to cheer for him. That was my best friend doing the damn thing. My best friend was leaving me and I really had no one to hang out with. It was selfish, but I could care less.

Eric left February 5, 2019, with no tears, smiles, and sunglasses that I got him for Christmas. February 5 was the day I needed to figure out my life and that was when she came.

Amber wasn’t your ordinary woman. She was someone with poise, direction, and confidence. When she spoke, time stood at a distance. Busy people would stop for 5 minutes just to listen to her. I knew I wanted to get to know her, but I was timid. What would happen if she loathed me? Thought I was too weird? Even useless? So many questions, but Amber shook up my life and she didn’t even know it.

We officially met at an Irish pub. I am a sucker for pretzels. Especially, when they just come out of the oven, and the delicious crisp salt is poured on them. I needed to relieve myself of my self-pity. Eric sent me Snaps, IG stories, and photos, but it wasn’t the same. I needed him here with me. Again selfish but who is looking? Amber stood at the left side of my peripheral. She had on a burgundy dress, black heels, and a gold purse that didn’t go with her outfit at all. I almost took a photo to send to Eric, so we could judge her. But I wanted to be her friend. I didn’t want to be dishonest yet. Notice yet never happened, but the thought was there.

Amber noticed my presence and smiled. I looked away so fast hoping she would walk away. But the click of the heels overpowered my thoughts. “Hi. I feel like I have seen you somewhere. I’m Amber.” I shook her hand and said hello, but didn’t give her my name. Which was perfect because she didn’t ask. No more than an hour, we were laughing and sharing our favorite memory of the pub. I found out, Amber lost her job so she needed to let loose a bit. I told her my best friend left me to pursue his career. Some tears were shed and then Amber asked a question that really caught me off guard. “Let’s create a documentary. You have people, I know people, we could really create something magical. What do you say?” The wine must have slightly kicked in because I said yes and don’t even remember it.

After a huge hangover, I was bent over the toilet trying to recall the night and then I remembered. Amber said we should create a documentary. Was that real? Oh, shit...it was. Oh no. I am not ready for this commitment. I barely know her. She could be a criminal. Even worse a psychic trying to understand my loneliness. No, that definitely isn’t it. I check my phone and I have three unread text messages. Two from Amber and one from Eric. Eric sent me a photo of a baby kangaroo and I started crying. I really was proud of him. Amber said she really enjoyed the meetup and glad she made a new friend outside of work and couldn’t wait to work with me. “New friend.” I didn’t know if I felt the same way, but at this point, you can say I had no choice.

Today as I look back at the story of how I met Amber – she came at the worse and best time of my life. Eventually, I shared my thoughts with her and she hugged me tightly. Then, Eric met Amber over Zoom and they hit it off so well. I was thrilled, but sort of anxious. Would they become best friends and leave me out?

Eventually, Eric and I spoke about February 5 and there was cussing, eye-rolling, smiles, and tears, but we are stronger than ever. Amber is also one of my best friends. She told me that this was a long term platonic relationship that would go through its ups and downs, but will come out on top. We finished our documentary and sent it to five film festivals. Three of them loved it so much that we will be flying to the first one in January 2020. Did I mention one of them would be in Australia?

August 29, 2020 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.