The Convocation of Baal Betwixt The Final Zenith of Osiris

Submitted into Contest #117 in response to: Start your story with the words “Everything was ready for the ritual.”... view prompt

2 comments

Horror Fiction Speculative

(trigger warning: acts of brutal, disturbing and esoteric violence bearing a ritualistic nature; iconoclastic imagery and allusions; cataclysmic terrestrial events potentially anxiety-inducing and evocative of certain environmental uncertainties)

Everything was ready for the ritual. The owl would be plucked so the howling recesses of the drawing-room window would be opened to the applause of jade brilliant dappled across a baleful constellation, flaring saffron darkly from outermost the fall of the shadow over forests splintered with impaled waystations of captive flesh who croak without a sound to harm their plaintive outcry toward the maledictions auspicious with what the oracle, a soothsayer herself draped in the sodden newspaper print of her ulcerous inscriptions tattooed in a whorled concentric of archaic inscriptions that fuse the runny ink letters to smear at a twisted-about knot of skin amid eruption forth as rivulets after releasing their consanguinity with the bladed pound of a fist struck against the heartbeat without a flinch of regret tarnishing what the death of febrile climate has been instrumental in creating pulseless winter extend past springtime and threaten thoracic summertime aegis for the next five centuries, awakening to a blazing army of shadowy seraphs who will plunge against the firmament and dissolve the pigment of the Patrician finally bled out bluish, like the ziggurats of Saturnalis are afoot and are watching the Holocene perish with industrious rectitude in harvesting our sorrows, headlong in the construction of tomorrow's Haruspex.

She is seething the omens of an enfeebled lifeforce: gulping both air and the quieting hunger of their purpose thereby fulfilled on this necrotizing earth thrown out the ground in piles of pillboxes and rusting aluminum skeletons partially under lunar incandescence. with the calligraphy of empurpling intestinal blood drooling from the slit in her paltry proselytizing and protestations against the divination of the shade returning recurrent after the usual kerfuffle and agony extolled, tapering fainter when she whimpers with a lowering declension of the jugular making her fearful teardrops almost pious under this augur cast by levitating devilment alive supernal and surrounding the meridian now armorial in the insectline copperplate fitted under thorned wings mid-air, sharing the same sheen of cannibalized myth once belonging to Gilgamesh and the impish crowskin Ifrit which kills amid entreaties of brotherly consignment in the bowels of an undercity walled by igneous stone, jagged and caught in zig-zag ambiguities near illegible to the delirium of her whitening stare go dropsical at the last gasp be sententious like her own  circulatory pattern of inscrutable glyphic numerals perhaps an encryption symbolizing the seance of nightmares we only dreamed fought against the tangible horror of our innermost desires, our cosmogony in its sordid entirety of bloodsport and concurrent infliction of lacerated stigmata caused our anticipation to start reddening until orangish. The horizon, soricine, was overcast with an emulsion windswept with the slime of weeping star-light hardening over the emptied vessels like the honey wax sculptures of an Indo-European litany not so alien, not so foreign, only a divide to be parted by meticulous consolidation and planning come full, fructifying the efforts of tonight realized.

1

Thunder was disarmed once Yam was drowning the settlements of Anat, spurned in the flooded tideland of a greenish-azure globule swallow Nature and Chaos amid the scattering of the parochial Osiris descend into the bloodied myrrh shade, leaves ablaze and furious while marbled temples, the dismemberment of the perishing order exhumed and blasted by impermanence, pieces of obsolescent worship are stridulent while in departure deepening from the consecration of the cherubim alight at the edge of gathering cumulus, caught in the suspiration amid the twilight of defaced idols, so edifices becoming anachronism laughable will swiftly wilt away until the first carcass of sacrificial impalement is consumed in the pitched ululation of shredded vocal cords in a pantomime of the third movement customary of the prevailing intonation sought by what catastrophe the fields will dawn upon our frowning immolation torched by the commencement of our initiative.

The prospects gleam with a dimness brighter than Alexandria itself razed down to the equidistant level of smithereens excremental and flaming with the restoration of victory without a clear vassalage to be declared once the battlements have withstood the pestilence of human resistance, characteristically futile as the hagiography of their primitive culture espouses in ostentatious adherence and rehearsal, only briefly a source for moribund excitement among the infernal ranks before rising to the sonic frequency of swill and babble, reflexively becoming the banality of extinction at largesse reduced to mere intervals of adroit slaughter dispatched in droves across the detonated pasturelands ridden with columnated ruins and shattered semblances of mankind toppled by the infantry of the newborn saurian advance; distant but palpable enough of a slithering reverberation to infest the skull to be animated with the motion of ceaseless growth without nourishing flora following the desolation that will eat ourselves wide with amazement almost deafening; huddled against wooden cylinder upright despite pellucid onset of decaying underway, shuddering downside the splintered mind of the supplicant slain and beauteous with the convergent stigmata blistering underneath all the dereliction herein ragged physical imprisonment near completion: for soon we will be orchestrating immense and destructive forces to assemble our unfinished duty in due time.

2

The Himmaylean mountain range in the former nation of China, seeing that all ideological credences and cartographical lines of territory demarcated hitherto the ritual has been irreparably transmogrified by the hellish vagaries summoned by the portal across the astral arterial opening from our world and into the tarred effulgence of the vociferous plane of Dis bottommost indwelling is being smothered, tightening, into the mist of schismatic dandruff crushed fine and sudden, then welted by vascular tendrils of a beast that is of walking abortion to all intelligent design.

At the summit, our alderman masturbates himself simultaneous to inserting the symbol of luminous transformation into the socket where his words hang crooked at the monstrous zenith before he too is subsumed into the bestial maw that announces the restoration of Baal from the ruptured pate of Osiris, who remains mired and wide-eyed with acceptance of what he cannot overcome once the history has run over his memory in vaporous tracery of regicide finding newer means of banishing the effects unbeknownst to the next epoch.  

3

The merging sulfur miasma of the burnt human offerings glitters the amnesty of coak flaked and carrying the voices of cities pustulating with surmounting disarray.

Baal, his barbed and tenebrous sac of snakeskin hewn over a shell of fractured femur bone melted sharply arched at two opposing sides at the apex of the sinistral helm, stolid-faced glare of hatefulness convexing from afar by no manipulation of Nature or the elements residing in the veins of a father who too cannibalized long ago on the convalescent remains of his abandoned successor. He quivers with merriment inscrutable in his sepulchered expression, the configuration of his own semblance not recognizable to the predictions of the children who once took suck from a sovereign penumbra, who only stays behind decomposing at having been witness firsthand to the sky laughing aloud with celestial disgust at our ongoing saga of torment and ichorous rock ushering forth new dawning, blackened hotly and glissading across the blue until it is all grey smog scaling brittle. The atmosphere breaks down, like the demolished pillars of a civilization whom by instinctual impetus alone was culpable to its own demise.

4

Not even the amplitudes of salvage seized upon by effortless swipe of talons bared against dry homunculi stripped apart of their sagging remnants while still above ground the sanded badlands, wettening with petrified murals only standing for the amusement of prolapsed heat constant and punishing as flaming hailstorm, this nomadic devourment was once the saving grace unique to the detestable buzzard, that shriveled vagrant who surveys below the skies that is not his home, nor is the scorching pits of dirt where invariable during his flight, he will crash from the longest descent any living creature has taken upon as a matter of scornful fury without even the varnish of pride to mollify the revelry that happens once it is dead and no longer flown for the tumult governing Baal as well, who will also savor the charred corpse-flesh that permeates the kingdom of animal life, mankind only a distinction blurry from the ephemera of its constitution, now only universal in the paroxysmal onslaught of thickening sandstorm of metal and boulders spun faster than flash floods of debris gutted from all sites of civilized activity, hurtling satellites of all our jetsam to be indistinguishable cyclones twisting conflagration.

Baal has defiled his sister, avenged his enormous vanity, and has converted the bleached bones of the deceased Osiris to be erected into a spiraling watchtower beneath the perpetual oxidation that makes the sky weep mud and verminous flesh-scalding bacteria, raised at the boundary shared between the sundry vicissitudes of humanity and the looming preeminence of the Sumerian devilment upon full enclosure: the watchtower of Baal is a sentinel for the passage of empty idolatry signifying the ritualized violence that we otherwise would attribute to the inexplicable caprices of the must our primal selves are often frightened to acknowledge without the pageantry of godhood desultory as we are prone to acting wantonly as our clandestine masquerade unfurls.

October 28, 2021 07:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dustin Gillham
20:23 Nov 04, 2021

Moss, Brutal and beautiful. Your grasp on language and description is the engine for this story. Well done.

Reply

E Moss
02:01 Nov 05, 2021

Thank you, I am immensely flattered by your kind words of praise.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.