The Bedtime war

Submitted into Contest #3 in response to: Write a story about a parent putting their child to bed.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Bedtime. The hardest part of the day for June Smith. Her daughter Lily never wants to go to bed but today was a little different...

Dinner and dessert were over and Lily knew what was coming next. It was time to go to bed but Lily wanted to go and watch tv and have fun. She wasn't tired! The Smith family was eating dinner but Lily shoveled through her dinner in the first 5 minutes and asked to be excused. Her mom and dad didn't know what to do so they excused her from the dinner table. Lily got up and ran to the bathroom, washed her hands and then ran to her closet. She went into the way back and hid behind her hanging dresses. In her closet, she keeps a pair of headphones and her iPad so she can watch tv and a package of Oreos to eat. She could stay there all night.

Back at the dinner table Mom and Dad finished eating and were starting to go to tuck in lily and say goodnight, but when they got there, Lily was nowhere to be seen. Little did they know, she was just a few feet away in her closet. They sighed and walked around the house yelling "Lily!" and "Liliana! It's time for bed!" eventually dad gave up and went to their room but mom had to get Lily to bed so she kept ongoing. Finally, as she was about to stop looking she looked in Lily's closet and found her. Mom thought it was over but she was sadly mistaken. As she got Lily into bed she went to get her a glass of milk like always but when she came back lily was once again gone. Lily never goes on this long she thought.

As soon as her mom was gone lily ran off into the living room. Now she wasn't even going to try and hide she just wanted to run around. She ran into the kitchen and out into the living room over and over again. Her mom walked in and saw her and her jaw dropped. what happened to Lily! she thought. then Lily saw her and ran out into the back yard and started doing handstands and cartwheels. She was trying to tier her mom out and she was pretty sure it was working. Her mom had bags under eyes and was slowly walking now instead of running. Once Lily's mom gave up Lily would be able to stay up as late as she wanted to eat Oreos and watch tv, everything was turning up Lily.

Mom was exhausted and just wanted to go to bed when she realized something. Lily had bags under her eyes and was starting to slow down and Lily wasn't even noticing. Mom knew what to do. She told Lily that she gave up and walked back to her room. She planned that if lily went and laid down and watched tv, she would be out in a second. She knew Lily was tired now so because she got exhausted after hiding and running around.

Lily had thought she won the bedtime war and she went into her room with her iPad and Oreos and layed down to watch tv. After a minute, her eyelids started to get droopy and before she knew it she was asleep. She thought her plan had worked but it hadn't. Her mom outsmarted her and really her mom won the betime war.

August 16, 2019 16:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.