A Wonderful Selection

Submitted into Contest #162 in response to: Start your story with someone looking at a restaurant menu.... view prompt

4 comments

Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“This place you chose is amazing,” Said Bella, looking around at the shining lights and elegant wallpaper.

“I chose it because of the food I heard they have here,” Michael said, sitting himself down in the cool leather booth.

A silent waiter came over and placed down two laminated menus in front of each of them. They both looked at the waiter and he looked back with a welcoming smile, his brown curly hair casting a shadow over his eyes. As he walked away, they picked up their menus and quickly scanned the front and back.

“Wow! What a wonderful selection!” Bella exclaimed.

 “My sources are always trustworthy after all,” Michael said.

“These all look delicious, I don’t know how I’ll choose.”

“You’ll have plenty of time to think about it while we talk,” Michael said, his voice becoming serious as he set his menu down.

“Oh! Right, my apologies,” Bella said, her cheeks a little flushed with embarrassment.

“Yes, let’s talk business.”

“Right. For starters, how is your supply doing?”

“It’s doing wonderful. Though a little crowded, there have been no deaths.”

“Crowded? Well that isn’t like you at all,” Bella said with a teasing smile.

“Well a friend of mine got into some trouble, so I decided to take a good amount off of his hands for a cheap price,” Michael responded, folding his arms and sitting back in his seat.

“That was kind of you, but we don’t want the meat to go bad from stress or anything like that.”

“I think we both know that’s inevitable. While the space is kept as clean as possible, they are still scared little critters.”

“You have a point. How unfortunate,” along with her words, Bella let out a small sigh.

“How about you? How has your farm been doing?” Michael asked.

“Oh it’s doing great, everyone is growing well.”

“That’s great to hear. I can’t wait to see for myself the next time I visit.”

“It sounds almost like you’re doubting my words.”

“Well you have always been the clumsy type.”

“Michael! I would never screw this up! The harvest this year is planned to be huge. How could you think I would-”

“Bella calm down! I was joking,” Michael said, cutting off Bella who was more offended than he thought she would be.

“Well that was a mean joke. I’m serious about this,” she said, turning her head to look at the delicious meals the other customers were feasting on.

A variety of cuts from the same species of animal that this restaurant specialized in were scattered in different dishes across customers plates. Customers delicately cut into the meat with their knives. Their Cheshire cat smile opened wide as they brought the meat, dripping with juices, to their mouths. As the flavor washed over their taste buds like a wave, some customers leaned back taking in the full pleasure of the flavor. Some didn’t react much, already accustomed to the strange, almost unplaceable texture and flavor. The children played with their food, but still ravaged it like wild animals, not being able to get enough of the taste. 

“It’s amusing watching some of these people taking their first bites,” Bella laughed, her eyes fixated on one table nervously nibbling on their meals.

“I don’t think they should be here if they aren’t committed to the craft,” Michael said, taking another look at his menu.

“Don’t be so cruel, Michael,” Bella said, her tone kind and understanding, “it can be difficult to get accustomed to if you aren’t born into it.”

Michael just let out a grunt in disagreement, and turned the menu over to look at the drinks. Bella noticed and followed his lead.

“Wow, they even add a little something to each drink, even the simple ones. How unique,” she said, trying to continue the conversation.

“Yes, but I don’t want to spoil my taste. I’m in the mood for dinner and dinner only. I’ll settle for water.”

“Suit yourself. I think red wine would be a divine addition to the meal. I do like my meat rare after all,” Bella joked.

Michael let out a small chuckle, finally amused by one of her jokes.

“Would you two like to order your drinks?” The waiter asked, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

“Oh my!” Bella exclaimed, almost falling back in her seat.

Even Michael gasped, startled by the young man's sudden appearance.

“My apologies. Did I startle you two?”

“Y-yes, you gave me quite the heart attack!” Bella said, her heavy breathing still reaching for air.

“It’s almost as if you were trained to be that quiet,” Michael said, giving him an approving sideways glance.

The waiter only responded with a proud chuckle and took out his notebook.

“I will just have a glass of water, and…Bella, what did you say you wanted?”

“Oh! I would like a glass of red wine please. A large glass, if that’s okay.”

“Of course, it will be out soon.”

As the waiter disappeared into the crowd of indulging customers, Michael turned towards Bella and put a small package onto the table.

“Have you been hiding that in your pocket this whole time?” She asked.

“This isn’t the time for you to question me, you know.”

“Oh come now… Aren’t we friends? Why all serious all of a sudden?”

“We came here for business. It seems we got off track.”

Bella let out a long, disappointed sigh, “I guess you’re right, but don’t let this spoil our meal.”

“Fine.”

Bella proceeded to take out a package from her purse. This package was similar, but wasn’t as neat as Michael’s. It was wrapped only a few times. Blood had leaked through, leaving red stains on the bottom.

“You couldn’t treat her with more care?” Michael asked, his voice growing with anger.

“Sorry, you know she wasn’t exactly kind to me.” Bella responded, her eyes now devoid of any light.

Michael snatched the package and held it close to him, then slid his package over to Bella. She swiftly snatched it off the table and held it close to her as well. 

“Oh! My dear…It’s like he’s still beating. I can’t wait to devour the last part of my dear husband.”

“You have no manners, do you?”

“I’m sorry! I’m just so happy to be reunited with him! But I am lady-like enough to wait until after our meal.”

“Speaking of which, here comes our waiter with our drinks. Let’s order now and get this over with.”

As the waiter set the drinks down, Michael immediately picked up his menu.

“I’ll have a cut from the thigh of a grown man. Roasted, please,” Michael said.

“I’ll have brain soup. Any gender and age is fine. Please make mine extra bloody,” Bella added.

“Understood. Your food will be out momentarily,” the waiter said, taking the menus and walking back into the crowd of the feasting cannibals.

September 09, 2022 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Trebor Mack
01:38 Sep 14, 2022

Sick.

Reply

Emily Pollan
18:47 Sep 14, 2022

In a good way orrr..?😅 I was aiming for a pretty disturbing plot twist after all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aaron Altman
20:51 Sep 12, 2022

I really enjoyed this story, I love the detail that you’ve included and such a twist at the end! Overall this was a really interesting story. Keep up the amazing writing! -A.A.

Reply

Emily Pollan
01:40 Sep 13, 2022

Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.