0 comments

Romance

Xander’s fingers drummed against the sticky bar top, keeping pace with his racing heartbeat. He was second-guessing his decision to agree to this introduction.

Jack leaned his back against the bar and grabbed Xander’s hand. “Dude, c’mon. Since you started your job, I’ve never heard you mention a woman’s name, let alone go out on a date. It’s been six months. It’s time.”

Xander shrugged his broad shoulders, still sore from his morning workout. Even if he hadn’t dated anyone since his split with Liz, he’d put the time to good use. She had always tried to coax him out of his shell and “be adventurous,” but he resisted. He preferred the familiar. “What can I say? My standards are high.”

Jack cocked his eyebrow. “Or maybe you’re scared.”

“Scared? Of what?”

“Of, you know, meeting someone new and being, I don’t know, happy.”

Damn it, Jack, thought Xander, how do you do that? The two had formed a fast friendship when Xander started at the ad agency at what seems like ages ago. Jack was the head copywriter known for his clever words and excellent observational skills. The guy had a way of instantly connecting with others and helping them feel understood. He had made Xander feel welcome and less fearful for taking the leap in faith in a new, creative industry outside of his usual corporate finance comfort zone. 

Jack tried again. “Listen, Xander, I know you said you had a bad break—”

“It wasn’t bad, it was mutual,” Xander corrected, nodding his head to emphasize the distinction.

Jack rolled his eyes.” Fine. It was ‘mutual,’” Jack said, arching his fingers in the air, “which means you both agreed to move on.”

Xander managed a weak smile, knowing that it wasn’t exactly that, but something he told himself to ease the pain. He remembered the last conversation he had with Liz. They were snuggled in bed on a Sunday morning in the apartment they shared. It had started innocently enough, talking about taking a trip together. Liz, of course, wanted to go somewhere exotic and unexpected. “We can experience something new, together,” she offered. 

After two years together, not much was new anymore. They had fallen into a predictable routine that didn’t bother Xander, but certainly lacked the vibrancy of their earlier adventures together. They were in a rut, and Xander suspected he was the reason—why would such a free spirit want to be with him anyway? Like most people, he fed off Liz’s energy. People were drawn to her, and she lit up every room she entered even before she opened her mouth and flashed her easy smile. He was her near opposite, reserved and quiet. Though she’d gently teased him about his steadfast ways, she also told him she appreciated his stability, so unlike her past relationships. He made her feel safe.

When she pleaded with him to experience something new together, Xander countered with, “Why don’t we just go back to somewhere we’ve been, Liz?” 

And then it hit him like a ton of bricks. Her blank stare of shock. Disappointment. Hurt. 

“Wow,” she muttered softly and began quietly getting dressed.

He watched as she approached the door, paused to take a deep breath, and then turned to him, brushing her soft blonde waves from her tear-swollen eyes.

“You’ll never learn, will you?” 

And then she was gone. That was six months ago.

Maybe Jack was right. Perhaps it was time to move on. As much as he dreaded letting Liz go, Xander knew he needed to if he ever had a chance of connecting with someone new.

He ran a hand through his salt-and-pepper, slightly overgrown hair and onto his face, which was sporting the beginnings of a beard. Jack had suggested he try a little stubble to mix things up. He begrudgingly obliged, but secretly liked it. “Alright, I give up. Tell me more about Beth.”

Jack’s face brightened. “That’s the spirit! You’ll love her, and she’s dying to meet you.”

Xander raised his eyebrows and gulped. “She is?”

“Yes, of course! I told her all about you.”

“Um, what did you say?”

“Xan, do you believe in my powers of persuasion?”

“Of course I do, Jack.” Still, Xander was curious about how his friend pitched him to Beth.

“Listen, I was honest. You’re a good man, Xan, and she’s a good woman. I knew you two belonged together after the first time I spoke to her.”

Xander still had his doubts. “And when was that?”

“Maybe three months ago? Tim and I first met her while waiting for our building’s elevator. We had come back from meeting my Midwestern in-laws for a legit New York City brunch, and she was in the lobby. I hadn’t seen her before, so I asked if she had just moved in. I recall that she looked a little sad like someone had pulled her plug.”

Xander knew that feeling all too well. “Was she frowning?”

“No, quite the contrary, Xan. She was smiling and chatty—super vivacious—but I could tell something was off. I shot Tim a look, and he knows me well enough to know that I can’t leave someone alone who’s feeling distressed, so he invited her over to our place.”

“And?”

“And she graciously accepted. She’s lovely and so warm. Gorgeous heart to match her beautiful face. And so curious about the world! Turns out, she’s a creative like me.” Jack touched his hand to his chest, especially pleased about that last part.

“Then, over a glass or two of Chardonnay, she spilled the beans. Apparently,” Jack whispered, “she had her heart broken by a guy who didn’t seem to get her.” 

“Ugh, that sucks.”

“Yeah, and it’s a shame because all she wants is to find someone to share her life with, a partner to complement her.”

Xander cocked his head to the side and sighed. “Isn’t that what we all want, Jack?”

“Maybe,” Jack offered, “but sometimes people have a hard time articulating what they want.” His eyes darted to the bar’s entrance.

“And there she is now!” Jack waved and ran over to meet Beth, who appeared to be searching for someone.

Xander took his drink’s last swig to muster his courage and swiveled around in his squeaky bar stool. As he rose to meet Tim’s friend, he encountered a familiar face.

“Beth, meet Xander.”

Beth beamed, and Xander tried unsuccessfully to conceal his delight. He stared at her intently, enchanted by her presence. The woman before him seemed to glow from within. 

“Hi, ‘Xander,’ is it?” Beth cooed, extending her hand. Her blonde waves danced in the early evening light. “What an unusual name.”

“That’s my doing, Beth,” Tim interjected, waving his hands in the air. “There are so many Alexes in the world, why not try something different? Xander says, ‘I’m ready for adventure,’ wouldn’t you agree?”

“Definitely, Jack.” She locked her gaze on Xander’s deep hazel eyes, allowing her hand to melt into his.

Xander felt a jolt of electricity. 

“Beth, you know I’m a word guy!” cried Jack. “I love creating new monikers—didn’t I do the same thing with—.” 

A buzzing in Tim’s pocket interrupted him. He pulled out his phone and knitted his brows together, feigning disappointment. “Sorry, kids, I have to take this. I’ll leave you two to get to know each other better.” His eyes flicked between them and winked as he walked toward the door.

Xander’s grip remained firm; he wasn’t letting her go, not this time. Xander pulled her closer. “Hello, Beth, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” 

Her green eyes twinkled, amused. “Thanks, but you can call me Liz.”

August 28, 2020 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.