What will happen when the shit hits the fan?

Submitted into Contest #186 in response to: Write a story in which each paragraph begins or ends (or both!) with the same sentence. ... view prompt

4 comments

Urban Fantasy American Contemporary


What will happen to us as a society when shit hits the fan? Are we prepared for a cataclysmic natural disaster or nuclear war? Is anyone really? What happens to us as priveleged Americans respectively, when this moment of upheaval and shock rocks what we have only ever known? The history of every dominant civilization is that it will statistically fall, either by the overturn of fellow man or the cycles of the earth. Regardless, our turn is inevitable. Will we devolve or evolve? Are they mutually exclusive? 


What will happen to us as a society when shit hits the fan? The long and frustrating privileged wait for coffee in the morning at the local barista will no longer be able to be a concern, a search for clean water a new priority. Will we even need caffeine in such trauma? Will we instead sit on fresh graves of those we loved, unable to sleep at night from terrors we have never seen outside of our media, wishing we could sleep? The thought of caffeine, a dusty and bitter laugh of a life that no longer can be as we sip what life we can get our hands on. Would the dream of being able to sleep and rest become our new luxury? Would we now crave to have all the opiates we once demonized to now be our only way out of endless nightmares that exist with our eyes open? 


What will happen to us when shit hits the fan? I imagine digital dating websites and Tik Tok videos, all the meaningless faces we do not humanize, like a party tray of snacks we pick over before dinner, now rendered pointless and hollow and a revelation of the true waste of our time. All the lonely humans like ourselves that we swept by will melt in our minds and never be remembered again along with our sexual desire once fleshly needed and now a true distraction from survival. Sexual desire in itself would be left in the dust behind our feet running towards shelter and food, a once budding fantasy of kids and the perfect match destroyed by a fear to bring any love into the world you may have to see die again. Yet then, did we ever humanize truly our human snacks online? Maybe we may have true connections with those whose ability to survive outshines the previously loved manufactured photos of gym selfies and hikes before sunset, dances over mimed voices and tutorials on how to properly organize our many many unneeded Amazon bought items. 


What will happen to us when shit hits the fan? The alarm that dictates the moment we should wake will be of no consequence anymore, no longer a probation officer of our time. Instead we will wake to sweat beaded on our brows, rummaging through memories of time gone by in our waking dreams, a loss of wasted reality. Our senses will be so keenly aware of any approaching sound we won’t need an alarm to wake us. We will wish for the day we could sleep so well we ever needed one. The dreaded chime that was once a familiar tormenting poke in the mornings a longing we never foresaw. 


What will happen to us when shit hits the fan? Will we turn to the homeless for life survival advice? Will we ask our local street community to now take pity on us and give us something to eat? Will we have to hold them off with weapons because they will have the knowledge and community to upend our fragility and safety? Or will we self reflect and see the folly in the previous skin we have now been forced to shed and work together. Can we come together through tragedy and create a new society, one that is based on shared skills and barter or will those with weapons annihilate those without and hoard unto themselves as time has shown again and again? 


What will happen to us when shit hits the fan? Will our dogs devolve from our pets into hunted prey and food in our hungry desperation? Will we go back to the start of our known civilization and learn to hunt with arrows and spears, the remaining guns released of all their bullets and the primal which once was, now having to rise again within us? All facets of nature come alive again...the rivers running clean, their fish able to breathe again in a lack of toxic waste. The birds able to fly in unpolluted skies, the insects now without pesticides able to flourish once again and become a part of our eco system. Will the world become pollinated again with fauna, the air able to cool, the fires of the forest able to be calmed, the aquafers able to rebuild and replenish our drought ridden deserts? Will the shark population triple for lack of fin hunting and an oceanic universe that once existed become whole again? 


What will happen to us when the shit hits the fan? Will we see far fewer deaths every year due to lack of pharmaceutical addictions, common access to alcohol and deadly intoxicants limited? Will be seek the ways of the ancient Shamanic again and connect again to the spirits of our ancestors and the magic of the plants on the earth? Will we learn the hard way what to and what not to eat? Will we become connected again with our food source and learn how to farm again? Will cows roam the earth with a sense of safety, the massive cattle farms and chicken farms set free and allowed to live the lives they have never known but always deserved? Will obesity become a faint glimmer of a sad yet safely kept existance of our past? Diet pills disgusting to think about, weight loss programs a huff of regret. Will being obese become something admirable and desireable once again, a sign of prosperity or will it still represent the underpriveleged, troubled person who carries mental pain related to their health?


What will happen to us when the shit hits the fan? Will we devolve or evolve? Have we been devolving in some ways at the expense of evolving in others? Have we become a better or a worse version of humanity due to our comforts and evolution of technology, agriculture, and societal desires? When the shit hits the fan, and it will...will we go back to a strength we have lost or will we evolve to a new way of survival? It seem all that has been destroyed has led way to that which has evolved. The cycle of life comes from the cycle of death.  


What will happen to us when the shit hits the fan? We shall see. 



February 25, 2023 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

03:09 Mar 02, 2023

The shit splatters when it hits the fan... my mom is now pissed at me for finding out. Also, side note.. I'm so glad to hear that your pet raccoon is doing better after the lawn mower accident! : )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
14:56 Feb 27, 2023

I think that perhaps you didn't follow the prompt quite perfectly. If you go back and read the opening sentences, you have three different versions of it. I liked the modification on the prompt, but it does stick out. I think that you ask many questions in your piece. Maybe tone that down a little. Better to write statements instead of questions since your opening is a question. A couple of the paragraphs were quite long. They could be shortened a little. All of these critiques are more in the way of personal preference than anything else...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
12:51 Feb 25, 2023

This was pretty insightful, Sarah. As you state, all great societies fall; it's inevitable. I like the themes of cycles of life and death, cleansing, and renewal. Nice work.

Reply

Sarah Gilbert
13:58 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you Delbert. I am happy to finally just get a submission in and hope in the future to give some more time and effort to my entry. I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Is there anything you felt (aside from some of my punctuation and grammar errors) that you may have changed or gone further/less with?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.