The stolen night.

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

The grass was soft to the touch. The musty smell of the green earth, enveloped her senses. She lay still, and silent. The trees above her were washed in the vibrant colors of fall. It seemed odd to her that not one leaf ablaze with color had dared to drop. They clung to the trees as if they were afraid.

It reminded her of her own fear, as she lay there breathing quietly. She didn't know quite how long she had been lying there.

Her last memory before she found herself laying on the soft green grass, was walking through the lush forest. Feeling the earth on her feet. Taking in the rich earthy smells. Reaching down to touch a wild flower.

That was it. That's all she could remember.

Jake woke up when he realized he was alone.

He called out to his wife. Not hearing a reply, he threw the covers back. He noted that the clock said 11;34 pm. Where could she be, he thought as he pushed his feet into his slippers, and stood. He stretched a little and cracked his neck as he lumbered to the bathroom. He splashed water on his face and looked at himself in the mirror. I'm getting old, he said to his own reflexion.

He wandered through the house looking in the different rooms as he went. Empty. All of them. Ending up by the front door he noticed the door was open slightly. He reached for the handle and pulled it the rest of the way open looking out into the night. It was a beautiful night, and he could hear the crickets. They seem louder than usual. With an urgency to their song. It seemed familiar.

He took a few steps onto the porch, and looked into the night. There weren't many lights in these parts after everyone went to bed, and he could see the stars in all their glory. He gazed for what seem a long time. He found one of the chairs on the porch. Sitting down, he again wondered where his wife had gotten off to.

She gazed up at the stars , and wondered at their beauty. So many! Like tiny Christmas lights that had somehow been strung across the whole of the sky. It seem to calm her. Somewhere in the distance she heard the sound of someone whispering. It was soft like the breeze that blew across her cold skin. She wondered why she was so cold as she lay there. The whispering had gotten louder. It seemed as if two people were having a disagreement. She couldn't hear well enough to make it out. But somehow the sound made her skin crawl. Maybe that's why she felt so cold. What were they saying? Was it about her? Was anyone really whispering, or was it her imagination. No, she clearly was hearing loud whispering.

As he sat on the porch the man wondered about his wife. Where could she be? And at this time of night. As his mind wandered off again the crickets seemed to be louder still. To be urging him. But he didn't hear them, lost inside his own thoughts. He thought maybe he should look for her for a moment. And that moment turned into hours of others as he sat.

She leaned up on an elbow and looked around. She saw no one. But she heard the whispers. She looked down and realized she was wearing a thin lace night gown, and no robe. Well no wonder I'm cold she thought, as she sat fully up trying to pull it closer to her. How she got here was still a mystery. The way the moon shone its light into the trees, looked like they were softly burning. And that calmed her.

She sat there for hours until the sun peeked up a waking eye.

Jake, the woman's husband woke on the porch in an old brown rocker. The sun had come up, and it blinded him. The crickets were silent, but the birds had seemed to pick up the urgency and were chirping away in the trees. He wondered why he was on the porch. The last thing he remembered was being in bed with his wife. She wasn't on the porch. That worried him some. She probably slept in, he thought. He remained in his chair.

The red truck drove down old road taking it's time. The driver, enjoying the scenery as she went. She loved coming to this part of the county. The landscaping was so beautiful. The grass so green. The forest called from both sides of the road, Beckoning.. with arms full of fall bouquets. Soft, earthy, breeze blew thru the truck, as she rode with the windows open and the music softly playing. What a lovely countryside.

The old man, Jake, saw the red truck, rambling up the road. Still in his chair, he wondered if perhaps it was his wife. Maybe she had gotten up early, and went into town shopping with a friend. The red truck did seem familiar.

The woman opened her eyes. She looked around. It seemed familiar to her now. The whispering had stopped, though she did not notice. Oh! She said to herself! I should have grabbed a robe and slippers. She began walking towards where the sun had risen.

The lady in the red truck turned off the ignition and got out. How are you doing Jake?

Jack looked suspiciously at her. He didn't see his wife get out of the truck, and it made him nervous. He was just about to speak when in the distance, he saw his wife. Looking so lovely in her white night gown, he had almost forgotten her face, but now it was in front of him clear. Real. It brought him Joy.

The lady in the truck waved at his wife. Wait... He did know this lady. Was she his wife's friend? Were they indeed going shopping?

His wife made it up to them, and he smiled.

"I enjoyed our walk this morning" she said.

Not remembering a single step, Jake said " I did also my dear"

The lady in the red truck went into the house ,and returned with two glasses and some pills. Time to take your meds, she announced.




M

April 12, 2020 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Christine Curran
22:09 Dec 31, 2023

Fantastic story. Really can't wait to read more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.