27 comments

Friendship Sad

So my word count was 994 words so Imma just use this to reach 1,000. HAHA. Ok, I'll leave now. I hope y'all enjoy this one. I kinda like it. ;)

Fireworks light the night sky, coloring the black sky canvas with an explosion of color. The booms and crackles of the fireworks are all that I can hear aside from the people celebrating downstairs. They party their ass off, getting drunk and having the time of their lives. No, thank you. I prefer peace rather than that chaos. And I prefer to enjoy it with my best friend.

“Happy new year, Kiara!” my lifelong friend shouts, raising the red solo cup in her hand as she wraps her arm around me. We perch atop the roof of whoever’s house this is. I live for moments like these. Moments that create long-lasting memories, especially with the people you love.

I smile and chuckle back. I wrap my arm around her too. “Happy new year, Emira!”

Emira has been my friend for as long as I can remember. We’re seniors now, almost ready to graduate. And she’s been with me through it all. Through all of the detentions, bullies, and teasing, Emira has always been at my side. There isn’t a time where I don’t remember her being there for me.

Emira takes a final swig from her red solo cup, finishing whatever was in it. “Can’t believe that we’re almost ready to be sent off. Can you imagine? College life?”

“All I know is that I’ll be as far away from those people when I get to college.” I tip my head towards the rowdy party animals in the backyard. They douse themselves in their spilled drinks partying as if it’s their last day on earth.

“Oh, don’t be so cruel. You never know who might be the one if you’re always hiding in your little bubble of yours, Kiara. Who knows, maybe you’ll meet someone who’s into the stuff you’re into, mm?” Emira says, nudging my side, smirking.

I give her a light laugh. “Psh. I doubt it. No guy could ever handle this.”

Emira bursts into a storm of laughter and so do I. We laugh until our stomachs ache and eyes water, caring less who would take the time to look and stare.

More fireworks boom in an array of yellow, red, and orange. I wipe a little tear from my eyes from laughing too much. I lie back, my back flat against the tiled roof. Emira does the same, lying down on our blanket atop the roof.

“You’ll always be there for me, right?” I don’t know why I said it. A stupid question.

“What are you talking about, Kiara?” Emira says, concerned as if we haven’t been best friends since grade school. “Of course. We’re best friends, aren’t we? I’ll always be there. Always. ‘Til the end.”

“Promise?”

“You know me enough that I always keep my promises. I promise.”

“I know. Just making sure,” I say as we watch the rest of the fireworks transform the night into day.

––––––––––––––––––––

It’s been a year. I sit on another rooftop, my feet dangling on the ledge, watching the fireworks burst into a spectacle of colors. They seem closer. But this year’s been different. A year that changed my life forever. It’s been a year of sadness, guilt, and regret. It’s been a year without Emira.

I’ve never felt so alone in my life.

How so much can change in just a year. How quickly your life can crumble too. My parents miss Emira. They say that they miss her coming over. They miss the smile that used to cover my face. A tear rolls down my eyes as my hair flies all over the place. 

A surge of pain hits me like a truck. Emptiness gnaws at my heart, making me hurt more.

If I could take back what I said, I would. I would give anything in the world to take it all back. I would give it all up a thousand times – no, a million times over. If only I’d said it sooner. Said that word before she drove off.

If only I said sorry before the truck hit her.

“AGGHHH!!” I scream at the top of my lungs as if that could release all the hatred I have for myself.

I HATE MYSELF!

Emira is dead because of you.

You have no more friends, all because you couldn’t control yourself.

ALL! YOUR! FAULT!

The tears come like a waterfall, each droplet full of pain.

The wind carries away the tears. I wish they could carry away the pain too.

It hurts so much.

I feel so lonely.

I sob, the cool night breeze filling my lungs.

My phone vibrates from my pocket. It’s a message from my mom.

“Kiara, where are you? Please come back home. I love you.”

I shut down my phone. Ignoring the message and twenty-one missed phone calls.

I love you.

The guilt is too much.

But the pain is more. My heart aches so much for my best friend. A thin needle pierces through my heart a thousand times every time I think of her. But she is no longer here.

She’s not here anymore to comfort you. To make you laugh. To make you cry. To make you do all the silly stuff you used to do together.

My mind flies to the promise we made not so long ago, on a rooftop not so different from this one.

Till the end, she said.

“You kept your promise after all,” I chuckle to myself realizing it. “But I never kept mine.”

You never kept your end of the promise. A useless promise. Your promises are worth less than ash.

All my heart feels is sorrow. Pain. Anguish. Despair. Heartache.

I won’t break our promise. Not for a second longer.

I sniffle back a sob.

“I promise,” I say as I get up from the ledge, my breath ragged from crying. “‘Til the end, Emira.”

I let the wind carry me away as I fall backward.

I feel nothing at last.

May 06, 2021 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you and how'd your exams go???? I loved this, the description of your character's feelings really hooked me in and it sounded brilliant. How did Emira die????? This was a great story, but I agree with Jose, try to add more flashbacks and a bit m ore of a plot but I think you were focussing more on the emotions and descriptions in this particular story. Great job!!!!!!!!!!! You've done so well and I can see a lot of improvement and difference in these 5 stories you'v...

Reply

Jay Luuu
04:43 May 10, 2021

AHH Tytytytytysm!! Exams went… well. HAHA. Overall they were alright. I'll try to balance the amount of plot with the description and emotions in my next story. Tysm again! This community has really been so helpful and positive. :DD (When ru gonna write your next story? I'm looking forward to it!)

Reply

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!! That's great!!!! I'm glad! And you'll do great!!!! Well most of the community, just a pinch of people you know :) But I'm glad you feel that way! Erm... well, it's like I start writing but I never finish it of so, I procrastinate too much!!! I have 4 tests this weeeeeek!!! So I don't think now...

Reply

Jay Luuu
08:19 May 10, 2021

Ooof 4 tests. I can relate HAHA. I also have my fair share of unfinished stories. Good luck on your tests as well though!!

Reply

Haha! Yeah! My whole Word and my docs are full of them! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Valerie June
18:21 May 08, 2021

This was quite the emotional rollercoaster here. Since you were barely in the word count, I’d recommend maybe elaborating on Kiara and Emira’s friendship (love the names by the way!) You might consider adding a flashback or two to a certain memory to make the story express more emotion. Remember, these are just suggestions! Don’t get me wrong though, this was a really great story with lots of fantastic descriptions. Well done Jay! (By the way, I read your bio and we’re a lot alike in some aspects. XD)

Reply

Jay Luuu
10:44 May 09, 2021

Ah, I see. I'll try to elaborate more on the characters in my next stories. Thanks for the suggestions though, I really appreciate it. I'll also check out some of your stories. I'll check out "The Open Road Before Us" :DD

Reply

Valerie June
15:28 May 09, 2021

Always happy to help! :)

Reply

Jay Luuu
16:06 May 09, 2021

Thanksss! Also, do you have any tips on getting your stories more attention? Or does that happen naturally? (Ru ok to talk smwhere else to talk abt writing stuff?)

Reply

Valerie June
16:13 May 09, 2021

Hmm, you don’t want to try to be someone else to try to get attention. I think it just comes with time. Another thing to get more people reading, liking, commenting, etc. is to read other people’s work and they might return the favor. Try striking up conversations with people. (That’s how I made some of my friends on here.) If I think of any more tips I’ll gladly share them with you! ;) (For now I prefer communicating on Reedsy but we’ll see, we’ll see.)

Reply

Jay Luuu
17:31 May 09, 2021

Ahhh, alright alright. I haven't been reading that many stories on Reedsy but more of published books. Thanks for the tips! (Sure! We'll see.)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jay Luuu
16:11 May 06, 2021

While writing this, I find a bit of Kiara in myself actually. I don’t know if it was actually depression or anything but that was the part of my life that was really tough for me. I lost a friend but not in the way of Kiara’s story. That was a very dark time in my life but I’ve learned not to take it for granted and live it by having as much fun as possible. Writing actually helped me through it. So, I’m happy to share this all with you and I hope y’all like it. –JLu

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.