0 comments

Drama

           The back-up on route 12 wasn’t a surprise. It was to be expected for an August day in the Outer Banks. They were almost to their rental in Corolla when the rain hit. There was only one way in and out, and the summer downpour quickly flooded the road, so the car crept by slowly through the deep puddles of rainwater.

           The windshield wipers were going as fast as they could, but it was still difficult to see.

           “It’s not much further,” Amy promised. The car was quiet with the three of them focused on the torrential rain pelting the car, the wiper’s flapping like a crazed bird

           “The house is on the sound side,” Bobby said, going over the directions in front of him.

           The water sprayed around them as they took a dip in the road and turned into a development.

           “Wow! It looks nice,” Priya said, from the backseat. Being the newest member of their singles group, she’d been quiet for most of the trip.

           Amy punched in the gate code that Bobby rattled off to her. “We have use of the pool too and tennis courts. I will be partaking of the pool for sure,” Amy said, excited.

           “I’ll be in the ocean,” Priya told them.

           “Well, me too,” Amy added. “And then the pool.”

           The houses were grand with long circular driveways.

           “This is it,” Bobby said, looking at the salmon colored beach house on the corner. There were already four cars parked in the half circle.

           “I guess we’re the last to arrive,” Amy commented. “Let’s unload later,” she suggested, as they made a dash for the front door.

           The wide front porch was dotted with colorful Adirondack chairs, enticing them to sit a moment and watch the rain.

“Come on. I can’t wait to see the house,” Amy jumped up.

          A burst of cool air greeted them as they entered. They followed the animated laughter upstairs to the main living room.

           “We’re here!” Amy shouted, throwing her arms in the air. “This place is beautiful.”

           They were greeted all around with hugs, even Priya, who had met everyone for the first time that morning.

           Their singles group was a tight bunch. All in their forties, they’d grown close in their bible studies, which rolled over into many social gatherings. Amy had never belonged to a group like this before. Growing up she’d never been particularly popular, but anyone was welcome here. She knew she could call them in the middle of the night, if she needed, and they would be there for her. It felt good to have friends like that. As a single mom, she sometimes relied on them.

           Priya immediately began helping some of the others in the kitchen unload groceries.

           “We’re going to team up,” Rose said. “And take turns making dinner this week.”

           “I’ll make my potato salad,” Priya said, joining right in.

           “I’ll make chicken,” Rose told her. “You can be my partner.”

           Priya fit into the group easily with her quiet manner and cheerful personality. She had a glow about her, and her eyes seemed to sparkle. Though she was quieter than most of the other’s, who had known each other a couple of years, it was as if she’d always belonged.

           “Okay, who is partnering with who?” Rose wanted to know, taking charge of the menu for the week.

           They quickly paired up and made plans. The rain finally let up and the sun came out.

           “Let’s go to the beach,” Liane shouted. “Who’s with me?”

           “It says here the shuttle will take us,” Jimmy mentioned, looking over the notes from the guestbook.

           Peter and Jen already had their swimsuits on. “There’s a shuttle stop right outside,” Jen pointed out.

           It took a while for everyone to get ready, but when they did, they all tromped to the shuttle stop loaded down with beach chairs and coolers.

           The eleven of them took up most of the space on the open-air shuttle. It was just a five-minute ride across route 12 to the public beach. It was almost dinner time, so most of the beach goers were heading out as they came in.

           Steve and Peter ran into the ocean carrying their boogie boards under their arms. The rest of the group set up then trickled down to the water putting their toes in.

Bobby’s face broke out in a huge grin as he let the surf rush over his feet, sinking in the sand. It was his first trip to the ocean, and he laughed with delight as he got sprayed, soaking his shorts. Jen photographed Bobby’s first reaction, forever documenting the moment among friends.

“Let’s give each other Indian names,” someone suggested, as they relaxed on the beach.”

“Bobby should be ‘Ocean Giggler,’” Jen suggested, right off the bat. So, they gave each other new names that would stay with them for years to come.

Peter and Jen were the early riser’s and often watched the sunrise on the beach. By the third day they’d convinced everyone to join them at the very northern end of the island.

           Jen let some air out of her tires, so she could drive her jeep on the beach, but the rest of the group parked outside the gate.

           They plopped down in the sand and took in the eastern showcase unfolding before them. The fiery red ball of fire gently rose over the ocean, bathing them in early morning light.

           “Okay you guys. Hold out your open palm,” Jen directed. “So, I can take a picture of the sun sitting in the palm of your hand.”

           The sun over the ocean was mesmerizing as they each took photos. Priya and Rose were searching or treasures when they noticed the first horse.

           The wild horses live on the northern end of the island, where they are safe from traffic and getting into trash. They had been warned the wild horses could bite, but the horses grazed on the beach grass, unconcerned about people.

           Toby, always the ringleader, eased right up to them, getting within a couple of feet, while Jen clicked away with her fancy camera.

           “They’re beautiful,” Priya gushed, taking a picture with her phone.  With the sun rising in the east, and the gentle horses grazing, it made for exceptional pictures.

           “This is amazing,” Amy said. “I’m so glad we came.” 

           “Even though you had to get up so early?” Jen teased.

           “Watch out, Toby,” Peter warned, when his friend ventured even closer to the horses. The brown and white horse snorted and trotted off.

           “I got some good shots!” Toby announced, scanning his pictures.

           Experiencing the sunrise and wild horses together on the almost deserted beach, created a bond none of them would ever forget.

           “Priya, this is the best potato salad I’ve ever eaten,” Amy exclaimed, at dinner. “I need this recipe.”

           “Sure,” Priya said, pleased.

           “I’ve never had cooked carrots in potato salad before,” Rose commented. “It’s delicious.”

           “So, what time is kayaking tonight?” Bobby wanted to know.

           “Kirker said to be there at 7pm,” Jen told them, scrolling through the photos of their vacation.

           Everyone had kayaked before except Priya, so she was paired up with Ken.

           “Who’s Kirker?” Jimmy wanted to know.

           “He’s our guide,” Peter said, looking over Jen’s shoulder at the photos.

           The kayak company was in a one-room cabin at the end of a dirt road in Corolla. A long dock led out through the marsh to where the boats waited for them. Everyone picked out their life jackets and headed out.

           “Bug spray people!” Liane ordered, chasing after them.

           “Oh, my! That is a huge spider!” Amy exclaimed, as they passed an overgrowth of bushes.

           “It’s a writing spider,” Peter informed them. “Notice all the curls, like handwriting, in the web?”

           The women squealed and hurried past, shrugging as if the spider had landed on them.

           “Does everyone have a flashlight?” Kirker asked, before we left the dock. Each boat had one, so they set off with Kirker leading the way.

           It was like a maze through all the grassy marsh. They would never have known their way on their own, but Kirker seemed to know each trail and where they went.

           “What’s all that?” Rose asked, pointing to the murky water.

           “It’s called fluff mud,” Kirker told them. He seemed to be a seasoned guide. With his long, shaggy hair and dark tan, he looked like a surfer. He told them he spent his winters in Colorado.

           They kayaked out into the open water. Kirker pointed out the birds and landmarks. They had a good view of the Corolla Light House.

           A pink, watercolor sunset descended, so they stopped frequently to take pictures. They were surrounded by nature; it was an amazing experience.

           After the sunset it got dark fast, and Kirker guided them back through the marsh. 

They hadn’t gone far when Priya let out a shriek that echoed in the night. Ken spotted the problem right away and reached inside her pant leg, snatching up a frog and plopping him back in the water.

“The frogs love you, Priya,” the group teased the rest of the trip.

It was a beautiful night, and everyone made a wish upon a shooting star.

It was as dark as midnight by the time they pulled up to the dock, with the straggler’s, Jimmy, Liane, Priya and Ken, bringing up the rear.

“I hate for this week to end,” Liane said, later that night, as they all gathered around the living room reminiscing over their adventures.

“Me either,” they readily agreed.

Most of them had never vacationed with just friends before. There was none of the drama that often accompanies families.

Even ten years later, they would reflect on that vacation - knowing it would be almost impossible to get all eleven of them together like that again. It really was a vacation of a lifetime.

August 28, 2020 18:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.