0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

I am Leena and I am 23. I am a graduate. I am tall and fair and I am said to be quite good looking. I wrote an exam to enter government service and was called to face an interview. The chairman of the interview committee said “I see you’ve had military training while in college. Why didn’t you try to join the defence services?”

I said “Sir I would’ve also preferred it but parental pressure prevented it. I was selected for forestry service but again my parents didn’t approve.”

“Why didn’t you try to join the police?”

“I couldn’t qualify for the police service exams. I tried for their subordinate services but the vacancies haven’t yet been announced due to Covid. Sir, I was recently selected by the railways but it was on a temporary transferable job and my parents were against my joining.”

“If you’re selected by us you could also be posted out of the present station.”

“I suppose I would’ve to face it.”

The interview was over. A month later I got an appointment letter offering me the job of a librarian. I cursed my luck! I am a bibliophobe and would be nauseated by collections of books!

 My parents approved and I took charge of a library and occupied my office on the third floor. I was glad I had assistants with experience in handling books and started to increasingly rely on them.

A few days after I had taken charge I got a call. The caller said “I’m Rita Oberoi, professor of English. Can you tell me if you have a copy of a book by Heliodorus?” 

I wrote down the name after it was spelt twice and said I would call her back. I sat wondering why people were looking for books by authors with such long names! I called my assistant and asked him to find out. He said the book wasn’t in our library. I called Rita and told her. I cursed my luck having to answer queries for strange books and authors.

A few months passed and I found I had survived a precarious existence. Now came the time when I had to be part of a book purchase committee. I just managed to show that I knew book titles and authors. I merely endorsed the selections.

I got used to the usual complaints of my staff: Porn messages written inside the books. Vulgar cartoons scrawled. Readers completing love scenes which were left to the imagination. There was even a message to me in a book about what the reader wanted to do with me in privacy! (Lucky what he had in mind was something perfectly normal!)There were problems like stolen books, mutilated books and so on. There was besides a complaint that a certain boy and girl came often and were seen smooching behind seldom used book racks and so on all of which I successfully fielded.

That morning as I was at my desk a middle aged man dropped in. He had a balding head with large side burns and a colossal moustache. He said “Madam I wanted a few minutes of your time and so have come in. I hope I haven’t disturbed you.”

I said “Please step in” and showing him a chair asked him to be seated. He continued “I’m Reuben and direct plays for TV.”

I could now make out the man I had heard of among TV personalities.

He said “I’ve to produce a serial in which a library and librarian figure. I would like to make the video in this library.”

She said “You may have to seek the permission of the library authority or perhaps the minister for education. Approval of your scheme could be denied as this library is usually busy with scholars and readers. Also so far as is known........”

He smiled and said “I have already approached the education minister and he has said the video could be shot in this location. My firm will pay for the use of the premises. The shooting will take place on the weekly holiday of the library. You’ll be informed.”

She said “In that case you can go ahead.”

He smiled and said “There is one more thing I’ve to discuss with you. I would prefer it if you starred as the librarian.”

I was stunned and didn’t know how to answer. After some thought, I said “Sir I’ve no experience in acting. How....”

“Leave all that to me and my staff. We’ll train and guide you.”

I said “Another thing Sir, I’m employed here. Will I be permitted to act in a TV play?”


“I raised that point with the minister. He said that since acting is a cultural activity, permission would be granted if sought by the employee.”

The library was in the middle of a business district with a popular restaurant nearby. I saw a liveried waiter of the restaurant bringing trays of refreshments to my room.

Reuben said “Leena I couldn’t have my usual breakfast and so have ordered a mini to be delivered here. I hope it will be permitted.” I smiled when he said “Please join me.”

I said “I have had breakfast. I’ll only share coffee.”

Reuben was a good conversationalist and as he ate he told me he had earlier visited this library with his cameraman to survey the place and the staff.

He said “I’ve seen you going round supervising the staff and being nice to the patrons. That is how I had mooted selecting you to star.”

 After coffee he said “Leena, the minister said that the shooting shouldn’t interfere with day to day work in the library. I assured him that I would shoot on the weekly day off. Since I’ll have to use your staff also, I’ll pay their wages appropriately.” There was a little silence and after that he said “I’ll start shooting as soon as I receive the permissions I’ve sought.”

“What do I have to do to be ready?”

He smiled and said “Nothing. Our makeup team will come with all needed items. I’ll be there with the dialogue coaching specialist to help you to display the needed emotions.”

He got up to leave when he shook my hand and said “Wish you a good future in TV! I’ve a feeling you’ll do well in the field.”

As he disappeared I was left wondering about my future! Would I become a TV star? Will I be able to abandon the stacks of books which stifle me? I felt grateful to the library for launching me on a journey into stardom.

END

April 19, 2022 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.