2 comments

Fiction

    Three years down and the days have flown; I wonder if we’re any closer to our goal than when we first started? How could we know? Do we each have a separate goal, is there a collective goal, or what? They keep us separated, so it’s hard to tell if we’ve made any kind of progress. They said it was important to work separately, but maybe that's changed by now. I sure hope so.

    I think I’ll have a word with Ron, and ask him if he thinks it would be a good idea to come together, you know, as a team, and maybe we could compare notes. I think we might be able to help each other. If nothing else, it would help me overcome this damned feeling of being alone. I don’t think we say over three words to each other during the day, and they keep us apart every night. That’s just not normal. I don’t remember when all this first hit me, but I’m no different than anyone in the lab, so are others having the same feelings? What a shame. All this time, and I still don’t really know my colleagues. In the beginning, all I could think about was the unbelievable pay. The kind of money anyone would jump at; but now? Well now I'm weary of all the secrecy.

    I’m a team player. I know Ron said there is an important reason for each of us to work alone, but he didn’t tell us what it is. I’m going to have to know, or I may just have to resign and get the hell out of here, before I go crazy. Don’t get me wrong, I respect the need for scientists to work separately, I mean, I know that’s how some great discoveries are made. But, at some point, it would seem, sharing our knowledge would become more important than individual success. I think it would be beneficial, and I want to know if we’ve actually had any success. Are we succeeding?

    I remember when I joined the Army, and I know how I learned the importance of teamwork in a big hurry. It builds trust and I need that right now. I mean, I know each of us are supposedly focused on a different part of the specimen they've given us, but I’m not sure I can learn anything more without being able to discuss my findings with fellow professionals. Ron has got to see that, at least I hope so. They call him the team leader, but I don’t see any leadership, or teamwork. Hell, he has never even asked me how I’m doing, what I’ve learned, how I feel, if I’m bored, nothing. He is different from any leader I’ve ever known. Well, okay, hang on to your hat, here goes nothing...

    “Ron, may I have a word with you?”

    “What about, John?”

    “Well, is it okay if we go to your office?”

    “Why, John? We don’t have any secrets here. Go ahead, shoot; what’s your question?”

    “Ron, I, I, well, I think…. Uh, or rather, don’t you think, I mean, wouldn’t it be a good idea for us all... Uh, look, Ron. We’ve been at this for almost three years, coming in here every day, doing our separate thing, researching our assignment, and having zero conversation with anyone about the papers we’re supposed to be writing. How can this be a good way to do research? Even Alexander Bell had an assistant, didn’t he? Shouldn’t we be sharing our findings with each other? Don’t you think it’s time we discussed our experiments? Wouldn’t that help us? At the very least, you should let us get together socially, at night. We could talk then. What do you think?”

    “John, we’ve asked each of you to work separately for an important reason, and I’m going to have to insist you continue working alone.”

    “Ron, I obviously cannot speak for anyone else here, but I want to know the reason for that rule?”

    “John, listen, this is a 5-year project and of course, you are free to pack up and leave at any time, but remember, in the beginning we told everyone they would be required to work separately, and each one of you accepted the job on that basis. I might reiterate, that it is an important part of the job and why we place such a high value on the process. I’m going to say this only once, then I’ll ask that you either go back to your area and continue your work, or leave and never come back into this facility. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way it is. Now do you understand? I mean, here is the bottom line. We pay each of you one million dollars per year to follow the assigned process. At the end of the process, we are going to pay each of you another five million. You’ve already earned almost three million. Here's a question for you. Do you want to give up the other seven million, with only two years left in the program?

    “Ron, I do not know how to answer that, because it brings up another question I’ve been wondering about. Why are we paid so much?”

    “John, I’d like for you to stay, but that is obviously up to you. No more questions. Please make your decision, and I might add, that goes for everyone here. If any of you have had second thoughts, you may leave with John, that is, if he chooses to leave. What are you going to do, John?”

    “Okay, Ron. you win for now. I’ll stay, but will you answer just one question?”

    “No! No, I won’t!”

    “Ron, Ron, why won’t you? I think we’d all like to know, are we in any danger? Ron? Ron? Okay, you can go back to your office, but this isn’t over. Do you hear me, Ron? Why doesn’t anyone else speak up? What’s the matter with all of you? Don’t you want to know what the hell we’re dealing with here? Jim, how about you?”

    “Ron, go on back to your lab and let it go, man. Where else can any of us earn this kind of money? If you’re so worried, just keep your mask on while you’re working. They told us we’d be completely safe if we follow protocol. Just leave all of us be, and go back to work.”

     “Jim, you’re a fool, and that goes for the rest of you! You are idiots, all of you.”

    Well, that didn’t end well. I’ve already earned three million, and most of it is in the bank, but of course, Uncle takes almost half of it. Maybe I was asleep when they told us about the five mil at the end, but I don’t think so. I thought they said we’d earn a bonus based on our findings.

    So, I guess I’ll do it for a while longer. I could use that extra five mil, for sure. It would be nice to be financially independent, even if I never really retire. At least I’ve gotten my concern on the record. This damn mask drives me nuts, but I guess I’d better start wearing it again. Shit. Speaking of that, they are all chicken shits here, every one of them. They may be sorry. Hell, we may all be sorry.

    “Ron, Mr. Craddock would like to see you in his office.”

    “Thank you, Margie. Tell him I’ll need about five minutes, okay?”

    “Ron, he said he would like to see you now; immediately.”

    “Okay, okay, Marge. Tell him I’m on my way.”

    “Hi, Margie.”

    “Hi, Ron. You can go on in, and good luck.”

    “Whoa! Do I need luck, Marge? Tell me what’s going on, do you know?

    “Ron, you’ll need to find out from him, I’d rather not speculate.”

    “That is not very reassuring, but I guess it’s not fair of me to involve you, is it? Huh? What do you say, Marge? Don’t look so serious! Come on Marge, tell me, is this about John?”

    “Ron, you know he doesn’t always tell me everything. Just go on in there, okay?”

    “Okay. Thanks, Marge.”

    “Knock, knock, sir!”

    “Come in, Ron.”

    “Mr. Craddock, you wanted to see me?”

“Yes, sit down, Ron. I hear you’ve been talking with John, is that right?”

    “Yes sir, I sure have.”

    “I also hear your conversation with him took place in the lab, in front of everyone, is that correct?”

    “Well, yes sir, is that a problem?”

    “What do you think, Ron?”

    “Well, I just told him there were no secrets and asked him to speak up in front of everybody. I thought others might have the same questions, so, yeah, I guess it was kind of an open discussion.”

    “Well, Ron, tell me, did John want to meet in your office?”

    “Yes sir, he asked if we could, but……”

    “But what, Ron? You thought it would be better to involve everyone, even when the project rule is to keep each participant separate? What the hell were you thinking? Look Ron, I’m aware of the entire conversation, and you clearly blew it, man. Not only did you have a public meeting, you told everyone they were going to receive another five million at the end of the five years. Ron, there’s no guarantee of that. There never was.”

    “Sir, I, I, well…. What can I say?”

    “Ron, I am really sorry about this. I like you, but I’m going to have to end your term on this project.

    “Sir, I, I...”

    “No, no, Ron. Just listen! No more talk is necessary. I’ll ask you to clean out your desk and office, get all of your personal items when you leave, understand? There will be an escort in your office when you get there, and you’ll need to leave right away, so make it quick with your clean up. Also, I must warn you. You were chosen for this role because of your past service and your ability to process and keep top secret projects to yourself. You will receive a visit from CIA operatives in the next few days, Ron, but I feel I owe it to you to give you an advance warning. Anything you’ve learned these last few years is of course, Top Secret. If you tell anyone, the Service will see to it you will never tell another soul. You know I’m a pretty blunt guy, Ron, always have been. Heed this one, please. The service will have to terminate you and your entire family for any indiscretion, and that includes even your close friends. Sorry to be so blunt, Ron, but you will be hearing the same from the CIA in a day or two, and I thought it would be a little better coming from me. Take it as a caution, not a threat. Oh, and one last thing. The service has implanted a device in your brain which will allow us to understand what you are thinking, and it will not only record what you say and who you say it too, it will also notify us of any indiscretion. Sorry, and good luck, Ron. There will be other projects for you, I’m sure, so take heart.”

     “Margie. Would you step in here please?”

    “Marge, please escort Ron to his office and hand him over to Andy, then return to my office.”

    “Yes sir.”

    “Thank you, Marge.”

     I wonder what’s going on. My god, they’re escorting Ron out of here. I wonder what he did? Damn, this is some serious shit. Is he crying? Oh man, I think he is. Looks like they’re taking him out of here abruptly; him and all of his shit. Everyone looks shocked. Damn, look at their faces. Holy shit! Oh, here comes Craddock. He’s going to Ron’s office. I wonder if he’s going to take over this project? Why else would he go in there? I can’t imagi…….

    “John, Mr. Craddock would like to see you in the team office.”

    “Well, hello Margie. How are you, girl?”

    “I’m fine, John. How have you been?”

    “Well, if you really want to know; not worth a damn. What the hell is happening here, Marge, do you know?”

    “Yeah, I know, but I can’t say. You are about to find out, though. Mr. Craddock’s waiting for you in Ron’s old office. You need to get moving, and now.”

    “Okay, Margie, but I was just started enjoying your company. Do I have to go?”

    “John, you are a charmer, but yes, I suggest you get moving. Go, go.”

    “Margie, you are the charmer, not me. I’ll go, if you promise you’ll come visit me again real soon. Will you, Margie?”

    “John, get going and I mean it. You are gonna get me in trouble if you don’t go, and right now. I’m serious!”

    “Okay, Marge, I’m going, I’m going!

    “Mr. Craddock, you wanted to see me, sir?”

    “Yes, I did John. Please shut the door and come sit down over here, John. Now, I’m a plain-spoken guy. I have to be, especially in this kind of business. I have an offer for you. Please allow me to make it as simple as possible. John. I just fired Ron. He screwed up when he allowed you to ask your questions in front of the others, then told everyone they would receive five million dollars at the end of five years. He invited you to leave, and everyone with you. What a way to ruin the project.”

    John, I don’t have a lot of time, so here it is. I of course didn’t tell you, but I hired you as a backup to Ron, simply because after watching him for a few weeks, I wasn’t at all sure he could cut it. I’m surprised he made it as long as he did, but in a sense, that's on you. Frankly, I was really expecting you to have questions much sooner, but I was not going to make changes as long as you quietly continued your research. Asking questions is good, John. It means you are truly interested and vested in our process.”

    “Ron’s total salary was fifty million dollars, for the full five years. Here is my offer; I’m prepared to pay you an additional fifteen million dollars right now, then ten million for each of the next two years. If you say you are interested, you will be given a twenty-day preparatory seminar, and both I, and it, will blow your mind. Remember, I’m plain spoken, so here it is. First, you will learn what you have been working on here this past three years, and why. All I can promise you is; you are going to have a million questions about the universe. ‘Who we are?’ ‘Where we come from?’ ‘How we got here? and much, much more.’ We will answer every one of those questions, most right away, the rest, over time, of course. Now here’s the kicker, John. You’ll meet inhabitants from other planets.

Yes, that’s what I said, John; and you will even travel to many of those planets: the ones assigned to you. It’s the chance of a lifetime, but there are a few risks. They are minimal, but they are very, very serious.”

    “John, I’ll outline the risks if you accept. Now, are you interested? It’s either yes, or no. What do you say, John?......    John.......?

    The End

    (Or, perhaps only the beginning) 

August 04, 2023 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Eric Lizotte
02:37 Aug 17, 2023

Hi Jim overall a good story. I think people repeated the name of who they were talking with a bit too often. Also there seems to be a mistake in the math in the original conversation about what they were to be paid. Outside of that, really nice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Page
15:08 Aug 16, 2023

Wow, Jim! Very well done. I like the twists and turns and the use of the office environment vibe to sell the story. Felt like reading a Stephen King story with the way it developed and each character had their specific motivations and role. Really engaging! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.