1 comment

Crime Fiction Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

"You fail to entertain me Antinio."

A bloody and beaten man is tied to a chair. A fist rockets toward his lowered face, brutally connecting with his already sore jaw.

"Listen! Please listen, I... I can do..."

SMACK!

The impact again smashing the inside of his cheek against teeth that cut into his flesh.

"I hear promises and no delivery. Lucious, get the bike chain!"

Fuck. That is Antonio's only thought at the moment.

"I went out Saturday night, and had a beer. Karaoke was on and felt like singing some Johnny Cash. I took a shot of whiskey..."

"What kind? Details, Antinio, give me DETAILS!"

Lucious delivered a blistering pain into Antonio's solar plexus. It took some time to get his breath back from the devastating blow.

Finally getting his air back, Antinio continued

"Crown Royal!" Blood flies out from the exclamation.

"I sign up..."

"What song mother..."

Lucious grins broadly as he steps forward, fist cocked back, Antinio saves his own ass by blurring out...

"Wanted Man! I signed up and was fourth in line. Finished my Sam Adams in time to be announced. I was getting ready for the big finish when I caught her eye. She was the most beautiful redhead I have ever seen. I was surprised she was staring back at.."

This time it was a kick. Soccer style right in the shin. Bright stars of explicit pain exploded in his vision as the steel toed boot collided with thin bone. Antinio was sure his leg broke, but unable to be certain.

"THERE WAS NO STARE MOTHERFUCKER! She didn't stare at that ugly mug of yours! Not my Tasha! You better do better than that!"

Antinio didn't know what to say, he was in no mental position to lie. His swollen face, throbbing chest, and now the fires of Hell in his leg nullified any ability to side step the truth.

" I apologize Don Morgelletti, that is what I saw. Not that was her intention just an observation on my part."

The Don considered this with interest. " What say you Lucious?"

"Well boss, she is your daughter and you know how much I love you both. So no disrespect when I say she isn't eight years old anymore. She is a twenty-two year old young lady, and it ain't outside the realm of possibility for her to make eyes at this sorry sack over here."

"Lucious saved your life. Thank him."

Heavy breathing. "Thank you Lucious."

"Shut the fuck up! You ain't outta this shit yet. Keep talking!"

"We sta...we noticed each other..."

This time both Lucious and the Don broke out in wide grins.

"I bought her a dri...I bought her a cosmopolitan and..."

"Ha! You are a quick study I'll give you that!"

"Thank you Don Morgelletti. We got to talking and she told me her name. I didn't recognize it, I ain't from here. I didn't know permission was needed to...

"To what? Answer carefully you fuckin sleaze."

"To..."

Movement as Lucious picked up a ten inch long screwdriver, and held it in front of his left eye.

"To have the honor of spending the night with a beautiful woman such as Tasha Morgelletti."

Lucious withdrew a few inches, and glanced at his boss.

"Continue."

" I was invited to her condo and accepted with grace. I.."

" This ain't Game of Thrones asshole! My ass is for sittin, not kissin, your losing the ground you made up here."

Lucious didn't even have to be asked as the infamous screwdriver slammed half way into his thigh. Antinio screamed like an unholy beast, and made in even more inhuman sound when the tool was twisted and extracted.

He is not sure when he passed out, but the ice water did its job to wake him up.

After the shock wire off, the ungodly pain set back in everywhere over his aching body.

"We got to talking and I told her I was here on business. I travel a lot for my business, and from Chillicothe Ohio. I do my own drywall and frame work. She said she was a student at NYU, with an Accounting major. I went to trade school but was able to adapt quickly to the work force. I make some money here and there and hit the road. I can stay in cheap motels while I travel and see the country. I'm my own boss and set my own hours, but ready to have more of a permanent address. I have been on my own since I was sixteen when I lost both my parents..."

"Cut the Mary Tyler Moore horseshit, I don't give a flying fuck about dead people. You gotta record? You a drunk? A deadbeat dad? You on meth or somethin'? "

Lucious felt Antinio need a refreasher and a swit backhand. Felt like a lover's touch compared to all the other shit he endured so far.

"No Don Morgelletti, I'm clean. I like to have a few beers like any other hard worker out there but none of that other stuff. To risky in my line of work. No kids, never been married or come close. I never wanted to settle down till now."

"So why New York then? Why not sunny Cali-for-ni-fuckin-a instead? Why here?"

"Because I like the east coast and there is endless work to be done here. After meeting Tasha, and spending this time together, I don't feel the need to move on."

Lucious started to laugh but was silenced with a wave of the Don's hand.

"Where dud you take my daughter for your first date?"

"Keens Steakhouse."

The Don looked to his left and git the nod of approval.

"Lucious, you had our friendsin blue look into this guy yeah?"

"Sure did boss. Piss test came back clean. No drugs, no other women, no kids, no permanent address. He is not a liar and every bit the blue collar worker he claims to be."

"Whatta bout felonies?"

"Clean record, not even a DUI or suspended license."

Another look and another nod of approval.

"Alright. I guess this all checks out so far. Finish or be finished."

Deep sigh.

Deeper sigh.

"I was very pleased to have her attention, and was proud to be accepted by her. We spent the night together and have been dating for three years now. I work construction and do well, I would like to continue doing right by her with your blessing of course."

"See daddy, he ain't no 'worthless prick piece of shit' after all!" Tasha said as she sat next to her father. Not one tear shed, no plea to stop, nothing mentioned to Lucious to have him back off. Just a few nods was all the emotion shown.

"I gotta admit this is one tough son of a bitch. He never begged, you were right about that honey. OK, Lucious what we doin now? Give him my blessing or the hacksaw?"

"Daddy!"

"I gotta tell ya boss, I didn't think he would make it thus far. I say bring him in."

" Yeah. Yeah ok. Antinio, welcome to the family!"







March 14, 2023 04:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

K A Hamilton
15:24 Mar 30, 2023

Hello! K A from critique circle here. Better late than never. :) Just wanted to say I enjoyed this piece! I always like seeing writers do less with more, and this is definitely a story that fits neatly inside a single scene. Personally, I'm not sure you need to go into such detailed description of the beating - it tends to grind readers down and desensitize them to the rest of the conflict, which is key in a short work. You could probably use a device like "ouch" or "pain," or switch over to metaphor for a bit. Just a thought!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.