0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

 “We have plenty of time” said Rocky to Rita. “We’ve to leave at 2 PM and it is now just 11. The car is ready and is in your garage. It has been loaded with the merchandise.” He laughed.

Rita asked “Where’re we headed?”

“To the airport in Mand, 60 kms away.”

Why were they going there? Rita had started a company to build houses with money she had inherited from parents who had worked lifelong in the Middle East. For the new business she had difficulty in acquiring land as the market demand was high and land was scarce. However using a broker, Rita came to know that some land was available which would suit her operation. The price was high, above her reach. She brought in Rocky a financier with high liquidity. He was about 55 and was reputed to be very moneyed. She negotiated with Kini who owned the large piece of land. But Rocky was a shrewd investor and said “Unless we can buy the two smaller adjoining pieces of land we won’t be able to directly approach the highway and the railway station.”

That was overcome, as the 2 owners were willing to sell and were bought off. Kini was loath to part with the land. He told Rita “Madam, this was agricultural land which had once belonged to my ancestors for at least 2 centuries. My father had told me that they had a big deep well for irrigation. But of course it was filled in as there is no agriculture here. If you buy this land you’re sure to find plenty of underground water. Don’t crib paying a little extra that I need. That is for good causes: My daughter is getting married, and my son will be going to the USA for studies. May be he will get a good paying job there and will support me in my old age.”

“I’ll discuss with my partner Rocky.”

Kini continued “At the edge of this land you’ll find a temple. Perhaps a century ago my father had told me the priest had been greedy and had fled with temple jewels and whatever else was portable and valuable. It seems it took many years before the loss could be made up. We’re devotees of that temple. Such is my intimacy with this land that I’m very sorry to have to give it away. Please see that I get a fair deal.”

Rita merely said “I told you I would speak to Rocky.”

Sometime later Rita spoke to Kini and said “Rocky appreciated your tie with this land. He is prepared to throw in a couple of prime flats to you if you accept our terms.”

The deal was through. Money changed hands. Legal work was completed. Rocky chose Albert, a prominent architect to plan the buildings. In a matter of a few weeks, excavation on the land was started. Rocky’s keen eye saw what could be a stone statue in the rubble and diverted excavation. With Albert driving the earth mover by night, and with Rocky and Rita watching by searchlights, they discovered a one foot high granite statue of dancing Shiva. It was secreted in Rita’s home. Rocky said “This statue is unblemished and looks very attractive. It could sell at a high price in the international market. Let us keep this find to ourselves.” After thought he added “Of course I’ll share the proceeds of its sale with you two. I should also mention that if the government authority came to know of the find, they could seize it. We’ve to be very careful.”

He was again thoughtful and then said “You know I worked with a stock broking firm in the USA and have contacts. I’ll use them to get top price. Of course I’m going to seek at least a million dollars for this statue.”

That is the background and a fortnight later the car was ready and at 2 o’clock sharp, Rocky and Rita set off with Rocky at the wheel.

As he drove on he said “I’ve got the idol packed in a deal wood box and have put my fleur-de-lis emblem on all its faces for easy identification. I’ve arranged with freight forwarder Musque & Duke to load it in their container. The box will be sent with identical boxes containing stainless steel fasteners. It should reach the firm of Newman and Filipowski in Chicago along with our exports of fasteners. I’ve already told Albert that we could get a million dollars in this deal. It’s lucky I found the regular importer of such fasteners. We’ve reached a nice diner. Let us have dinner.”

“Don’t you think it’s risky to leave the car outside?”

“Our box is in the boot along with some tyres which need retreading. The boot and car are both locked. So don’t worry.”

They went in and ordered food. Suddenly electricity failed, and Rita was very anxious regarding the safety of their consignment.

Rocky said “Sister, don’t worry. Nobody can go away with our car. I don’t know why this joint seems to have no generator to tide over such failures!”

It took 15 minutes for power to return and the manager apologised to the diners. When Food started to be served Rocky said “Smells good.”

It was 45 minutes before they could get on the road again. It had started raining and Rocky switched on the windscreen wipers. It was a heavy downpour and on the way to the freight forwarder they had to stop as the railway gate was closed. He saw there were 3 large lorries ahead and he knew he couldn’t overtake them.

Rocky said “These days very long train formations pass. Let us hope it’ll be quick. Really speaking there is no hurry as Fred of Musque & Duke is expecting me.” His phone rang. He said “Thanks Fred. We’re on our way, actually near the railway crossing. The consignment should be with you in half an hour............It’s raining hard here too. I’ll drive in directly to your warehouse. Thanks again.”

The rain didn’t stop. Luckily only a passenger train went across the railway gates at a slow pace. The gates opened but the third lorry ahead had a problem in starting. The lorry ahead pulled it along and it started and sped away.

Rocky said “This rain will stall traffic. Let us hope we’re not stuck somewhere else.”

In about 15 minutes, Rocky rode into the warehouse of the air terminal. Fred was waiting and Rocky introduced Rita. “Fred, this lady Rita is my partner.”  Fred shook hands, guided them and took charge of the consignment.

Fred said pointing “See those consignments? Those will go on the plane at 4 AM along with yours.”

Rocky whispered “Your fee has been deposited in your account.”

Fred laughed and said “Thank you sir. I know you’re a man of your word.”

When the paper work had been completed Rocky said “We’re getting back. Any gate pass needed?”

“I’ve told security and you’ll have no problem leaving.  Good night sir, and to you madam!”

Rocky dropped Rita at her place and said “I’ll call the company in Chicago the day after tomorrow and check. Good night.”

Rocky went home in his car parked at Rita’s place.

Two days later Rocky checked with Chicago only to be told the consignment hadn’t arrived. The following day he received a call from Chicago. The consignment had been received and had been delivered to the hardware dealer.

Rocky called the dealer and said “Mike, this is Rocky. Have you got the consignment?.......I almost loaded it myself. No chance of tampering with its contents here. Did you see the fleur-de-lis emblem on the sides? Fine. But I’m shocked.”

Rocky turned to Rita and said “It looks like our box has been tampered with and it contained only the usual fasteners though less in weight than invoiced. Mike has promised to investigate.” But within himself Rocky was happy. Secret indications were Mike had sent the idol to the antiques dealer and the money had been transferred to Rocky. He had no need to share the proceeds with Albert and Rita! He said to Rita that they had travelled a long distance and despite promise of investigation he felt the idol was lost.

END

September 06, 2021 06:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.