Welcome to Kanamuro

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

0 comments

General

“You seriously want to go, dummy?”

Two Germans are standing on a train platform. One of them will be leaving soon, to a land far-far away. Again.

Ludwig would never really consider another one journey. After his mental breakdown and a whole month full of recovering, this looks like a very bad idea. Sadly, nothing else were coming across his mind. In the end, motherhood couldn’t keep Ludwig sane, because everything here reminded about his family. Well, broken family.

“Yeah. I guess, I have no choice. I mean, I do, but… You wouldn’t get it.” — clutching his teeth, Ludwig turned to the brother. Usually, when hardest times kick in, he was smiling. Right now, Gilbert’s face… Was different. Absence of stupid smile or quirky jokes somehow made German soldier too serious and even sad. — “Don’t say you are about to cry, brother”

“Oh, you wish I would” — he swiped melancholic expression with hand and came little bit closer. With deep sigh, Gilbert hugged his little brother as tight as he could and hid his face in brother’s shoulder. — “But this place will really miss you. Maybe you’ll stay?”

“You know me; not going to happen.” — Ludwig shrugged and smiled. Without hesitation he hugged Gilbert back, as if they will never meet again. Surely, that is a lie. But the question is still on: When will they?

“Don’t get lost among stars, loser!” — Gilbert has shouted, as the train was leaving the platform. He tried to be calm. However, something on the face gave away loneliness.

Ludwig has seen it. He saw, how his brother was trying to stay cool, while legs were ready to run.

They grew close in past three years, without any doubts. But someone must move forward, or he will be stuck in purgatory forever. Depression can go away only when you are about to build new life. That was a plan, even If it is stupid.

“Don’t get too drunk, imbecile” — he didn’t mean it in any bad way. That’s just how they get used to talk. Some might think that brothers are not close and are not ready to defend themselves. Then they will regret this decision.

Ludwig will definitely miss him. His stupid smile and jokes, endless histories about “Catholic blessing” and stand out against three “Evil empires”. It is almost like losing part of your own world.

Some things can’t be replaced that easily. But if you want to grow and develop, you will need to leave some things behind. Pain and joy, happiness and… Love.

 

Who knew that Ludwig could not erase them completely? His research, his job — he threw everything to work hard and try to blank out all bad things that happened to him. Loss of the family, close relatives, friends. Endless encounters, fights. So many things to forget. Yet one is simply unforgettable.

His dearest daughter.

Ludwig has burnt all the photos. He tried really hard to leave those, who disappeared. Margaret inflicted too much pain with her decisions. For some reason, German connected everything with his girl. But she was only eight. It is simply not possible for her to decide such a thing.

It’s been eight years since he left for the first time. She must be thirteen.

“Oh my god… She is teen!” — one simple thought made him smile as he didn’t do in past three months. Was is love? Or he simply wanted to re-unite all that’s happened before? Hard to tell, but one thing is certain: his fighting spirit. It shines even though Ludwig called him last time… Hard to remember. — “Shall I go..? Yeah. Yeah! I will do it! Definitely”.

He sighed with relief. Looks like the meaning of life finally showed itself, somewhere far on the horizon.

 

“Good day, sweet town Kanamuro. It is now 8 a.m. and I am, your beautiful DJ is back on line. I hope every single one of you is having nice time. Let us move on to the morning song-request.”

“Huh, looks like we are coming close!” — taxi driver laughed and turned his eyes back on the road. Passenger on his back, however, was not so enthusiastic. — “So, sir. First time in Kanamuro?”

“Yes. It is, actually, my first time in Japan”, — person looked outside the windows. Green-green fields were laying all around town. Electric wires came into town by one straight line, which is coming alongside highway. — “Do you know something about this town?”

“Huh? Me? Well, I don’t actually live here. But, if you are about to start your own tourist-oriented business, it is your bet. At least, I heard that”, — man turned his mirror, so he could see passengers face. However, he hid it under cap. — “But, I guess asking locals about it. I’m just a driver, after all”

“I guess you right”

“Where shall I stop?”

“Hm… Can you, please, at “New Quarters”? Somewhere near bus station”, — man on the back took deep breath and laid down at the chair. Ludwig’s way here was really long. Like some unknown identity didn’t want him to ever find this town, forgotten by Japanese map.

All that Ludwig could learn, would fit in one small brochure. And, what a surprise, it actually did.

“Kanamuro is small town, with average population of 35 thousand people, excluding seasonal tourists and visiting workers. If you ever wanted to enjoy some piece and quiet, this place is your choice”.

“Well-well…” — for the rest of drive Ludwig went silent. This town was his last lead to Agnes. If it won’t pay off who knows, what will happen? Nothing serious or tragic, except for one broken heart. — “I see. There your mother took you, darling?”

He looked at the only one photo, that left. Sadly enough, he had nothing more on her. He only knew three things: she is Agnes, around sixteen by now and, probably, she’s running under mother surname. That little fact alone tickled Ludwig’s proud, but he stayed calm. It doesn’t matter whose second name she is using. Her spirit — that is essential.

 

After car drove away, man looked around. This block was built from two up to three months ago. Cheap purchase prices, rent is even cheaper. If you have lack of money and need to live somewhere, this place is your deepest desire. Probably that is the reason, why streets are overcrowded.

“Not even surprised. This place is filled with young families and abandoned people. Needless to say, they must be hear”, — Ludwig was concerned: if his family did stay in this town, Agnes would be here. At this age, at least. Most of her friends, probably, moved from parents’ apartments and rent flat somewhere around. Intuition almost nowhen lied to him, so he wanted to give it a shot.

But before going anywhere, he needs to drink. Probably, cup of coffee. Ludwig wasn’t hungry, yet such a snack would fit in travelling lifestyle.

“Good day, ma’am”, — he nodded to the closest waitress and sat at the table. She looked back at her client, took down some notes and came closer to German.

“You are not from here, right?”

“Is is that easy to determine? How?”

“You can sit here only if you have offered something, sorry”, — she smiled to him and took notebook back. — “But I can take note of your order right now”

“Huh, I will remember that”, — Ludwig leaned at the back of the chair. — “Latte and croissant. Please”

“Will do! Just wait… Two minutes”, — waitress bowed to him and ran away, leaving Ludwig alone with his thoughts. So… Now he just needs to find his daughter somewhere in this town. Phone number, school records… police reports. Anything could come in handy. As for now, Ludwig needs to locate hotel.

But his phone search was interrupted by very loud talk across the street. One old gentleman was shutting at some blond girl. She didn’t look involved at all and groaned all the way into it. Her blue eyes were trying to find something more interesting than her companion, but, sadly, he did not agree to be left unannounced.

“And you sh’-till need to pay me 80 thousand yens for previous mont’sh!” — he stomped with his feet and showed her some kind of receipt. She groaned more.

 “I did pay you for previous one. Look at your bank account” — young lady looked really annoyed but could not go anywhere as this “gentleman” grabbed her arm. — “Hey!”

“No-no, you didn’t, I kno-ow you didn’t!” — he was shaking with receipt, as if it was magical or something. And, while he tried to convince girl, he didn’t notice as a tall man approached him. But she did. She looked at white military uniform and cap, that was covering man’s eyes.

“I am sorry, kind sir. What are you arguing about?” — Ludwig asked like he didn’t hear whole conversation from the beginning. Girl was shocked. And the landlord told this extortion story again.

“Sh’-she needs to pay for this mont’sh and previou’sh one too!”

“Well-well, looks like girl is in trouble. How much does she owe you?”

“Hey, I didn’t ask for your help, moron!” — she came closer to Ludwig and looked him right in the eyes. He didn’t react. At least, he tried not to.

 “I hope, two hundred thousand will do it?” — Ludwig waved with cash, hypnotizing gentleman in front of him. — “As well, be kind and leave us alone”

“S-s-sh’ure, sh’ir!” — he instantly took money and ran inside the building. Girl, as it seems, were very displeased.

“I told you not to help me, idiot! I paid him! He… Probably doesn’t know, how to check his bank account. And you gave him two hundred? What are you? Hero? Or imbecile?”

“They are marked. Soon, police will get him for fraud. If he won’t realize it, that is”, — Ludwig scratched his neck and looked back at little brat. Now she was shocked. In a good way.

“Wait. You… Baited him? Wow. Okay, I was wrong. My bad”, — she chuckled. — “Thanks. If you need something, I can..”

“Actually, yes. You might know one person I am trying to locate”, — Ludwig got down to business, taking out one pic from his album. — “I am trying to find one girl. Her name is Agnes. She, probably, lives somewhere in this town. Probably, at this very neighborhood. She is around sixteen, probably under name Williams. If you know, by chance…”

“..where… Did you take that photo?” — girl was looking at it with some dark emotions crawling all around her face.

“It is mine. You… What is your name?” — his grip on photo became stronger. Could it be?.. By chance, he accidentally found her?

“You got lost… For eleven years… And now…” — she clenched her teeth and raised eyes. Just by look of things, girl was furious. No, not like that. Agnes was furious. — “Mom was waiting… I was waiting!”

“Agnes? I… Understand, how it looks, but I can explain. And hope, you…” — she didn’t allow him to finish and made step closer.

Suddenly, Ludwig noticed something behind her. It was like another one fist, which totally matched her own. She squeezed it and made another step. Ludwig didn’t change his position at all and swallowed.

“But… I’ve made everything to destroy it!” — that was Ludwig’s final thought, before her purple fist started rushing towards his face. No more options, he has to block it. And, without hesitations, he called out his own spirit.

Two fists smashed on each other; sound crushed. Agnes looked terrified with what she saw. But only for a moment: some strange gas went from her fists and took over Ludwig’s arm.

It became hot in seconds. Later, it got covered in strange outgrowths. Like some kind of virus, this thing spread throughout his body.

“I… Failed?” — Ludwig kneeled, as his daughter came closer. And, with one final punch, she made her old man retire.


June 02, 2020 12:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.